Skip to content

Charname help....

Hey guys, first post. Recently stumbled upon this forum and was happy to learn I'm not the only person in the world who is still playing BG after all this time. Anyway I need some advice, I've run through BG and TOTSC at least 10 times, and most recently since EE came out Ive run it with an Archer, Kensai/Mage (tried but true), and an elven fighter/mage. I keep running into the same problems though, with the fighter mage types I get bored and feel overpowered quickly in SOA. But although Im not a powergamer necessarily, I can't bring myself to play a game where Im supposedly a God Child and trying to run through it with a 75 roll druid. Any advice on a class that strikes a good balance between staying fun and challenging but also gives you the satisfaction of having a charname who is powerful enough to be legitimately proud of? Anyone else run into this problem ?

Comments

• Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    A thief class can get quite powerful but at the same time not overpowered, they are also very useful in the party and if you go with a assassin or bounty hunter they demand alot of micromanagement to be good which I love for my char name.

Pure Kensai could also be a good choice, worthless for some encounters while crazy good for others and at the same time a glass cannon. I am thinking of rolling a dwarven/half-orc/elven kensai that specialice in axes or daggers to be able to go ranged when needed which could be fun and also spice up the game since those weapon types are not very powerful. The biggest downside to Kensai from my perspective is that you can't equip armor which takes away some of the loot scavenging fun(I would like to be able to equip robes...). Also the Kensai is not a class that really gives you a feeling of progression, you will always look the same and how you fight will always stay the same, could be boring.

Bottom line, I would go with some thief class. Unlimited fun from back-stabs and traps! Or maybe an illegal multiclass of bountyhunter and kensai!
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    I am actually playing with a human fighter dual class to priest of lathander (using eekeeper), I am really enjoying it and it's really powerful, especially when you get to the 7th circle spells... then with 5 pips in warhammer and crom fayer in hand it is devastating. I have the option to dual wield, but sometimes I prefer to use a good shield and be a supertank :) At the same time I am playing the first chapter with a druid built in the same way, also it's a lot of fun (except that there are not good spears in bg1).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Bard. Bards are jacks of all trades - stays interesting - and masters of none - stays challenging. There will always be a NPC who is better than you at something, helps to not feel overpowered.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Bard seconded.
    Or stalker?
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I have very much enjoyed playing a Bard for the same reasons @KidCarnival states.

Some other thoughts:

Stalker: One of my favorite charnames to play was a stalker. They are the consummate scout, provide great backstabs, and you get some very useful mage spells. You can specialize in all of the great weapons in the game, both melee and ranged, and they are quite fun to roleplay.

Thief/Cleric: Although they are very much a support character, they have some sneaky good combinations. The main reason I like this class is because is because I get tired of playing the same thief and cleric NPCs over and over. C/T allows you to fulfill both roles in one character and allows the NPCs to take the center stage for a very different playthrough than your OP fighter/mage.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Difficulty isn't just about game settings or character classes.

You can add in self-restrictions. Like @gorlingarf,

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29806/best-black-pits-party-with-these-stats

Or roleplay realistic rest, so try to do all dungeons (except Durlag's Tower and WK) without rest. In a LP I watched, the player's protagonist refused to allow other party members to use magic boots, which she hoarded herself, or arcane spells at the same maximum level as she could cast.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I quite like Cavaliers for a balance between being legitimately tough but lacking hugely cheesy opportunities. They get enough immunities and extras to be useful in BG1 and with the addition of Carsomyr and Priest spells in BG2 they gain a few new strings to their bow, but still have enough weaknesses to be interesting.
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    My berserker/cleric became pretty monstrous at high levels without being totally indestructible. Also played through as a Blade which was more of a challenge but still fun as I became something of a glass cannon, dealing monstrous dual-wield pain whilst relatively fragile myself.
    Cleric/Thief is a good combo indeed, if not bad, this would be a good choice. Avenger druid is also something to consider; doesn't have to be a "gimped 75 roll".
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I third the Bard! But honestly, go for blade or jester.
  • NeeberNeeber Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the feedback. Rolled a half elf blade...Was surprised at how easy it was to get a 90 + roll. Pretty excited about him, i like the idea of playing him like RA Salvatores Jarlaxle ... going heavy on item uses, wands, scrolls, potions and the like. Effecting the tide of the battles while only rarely having to get in the middle of the fray. Relying on an abundance of magical items.
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    ok my preferred charcter is a stealthy swordsman who uses every advange he can get so far the only no offense, but i'm not the magic using kind so what should I use, I usaly use drow, half-orcs and half-elf and my usal alignment is chaoic good oe neutral good

ok my preferred charcter is a stealthy swordsman who uses every advange he can get so far the only no offense, but i'm not the magic using kind so what should I use, I usaly use drow, half-orcs and half-elf and my usal alignment is chaoic good oe neutral good

Elf or half elf, stalker, sounds like a good fit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Install Sword Coast Strategems (SCS) and you will not lack for challenges! I'm doing two SCS runs in paralled (goodf and evil) and just love it, really amazing changes that make it much more enjoyable for experienced players who know the game well.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'm going to fourth the Bard. And more specifically the Blade. Eventually you'll be very strong, but until then you'll have to rely on your allies to get you through. Requires a lot of micromanagement, which I think would suit an experienced player.