Skip to content

Druid's Shapehifting

In my current walkthru I've rolled a Fighter/Druid that just hit 7, that means the 2x bear and wolf form got unlocked.

Never found any particular use to them. Am I missing something or are they just bad?

Comments

• iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    I've always found Druid shapeshifting to be pretty much redundant. I never use it either with a PC or any druid NPCs. Bear form in my experience can be OK for taking out large numbers of low-level trash mobs, but that's generally easy as hell to do anyway. If you're missing something then I'm missing it too because I also think shapeshifting is useless.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014
    If you know where to get good weapons in the game then they probably aren't worth it, but for Jaheira the brown bear can be good from a damage standpoint because you can get 4 APR with haste (should be 4.5 with haste but for whatever reason thats not working currently for me). Plus 18/00 strength of course.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I wish the animals scaled more, it feels like by the time I get a shape change it don't need it because my gear is always better.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    I guess the shapeshifting abilities make only really sense for single-classed druids, since they suck so much at melee fighting. But then I'd rather use one of the druid kits for that. The Shapeshifter's (greater) werewolf form is very powerful. The Avenger has some potential too with his wide variety of animal forms, e.g. the sword spider is good for its high APR and movement speed, and its poison attacks.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    It might be an edition thing but the animal forms in BG totally suck. They might have their uses now and then but not much. Except the kits, of course.

In 3.5 Druid get the standard animal forms but then get Dire forms which is like a bear on steroids, plant forms (Treant, Shambling Mound), Elemental Shapes and in Epics you get Dragon Shapes. At least in NwN2.

In PnP you can pull all shorts of shenanigans. T-Rex form with a T-Rex companion etc.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited February 2014
    they good for cheesing and bugusing

in IWD1 they are really good like best tanks
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    also druidic forms are great for RP purpose but since it is "RP" you can not say they are good but still cool

for weak druid to change into a bear and smash some gnols