Skip to content

BG vs tablets with windows 8 full

zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
some of the new tablets working on full windows 8 can run BG pretty easily i would think so AND my question is. How is playing baldur's gate with your fingers?

I am actually asking about no keyboard no mouse windows 8 tables THE GAME

I would really love to know

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I think it's pretty horrible on the ipad which is at least somewhat optimized for touch - no idea how that works on win 8. I can stand playing solos or duos but anything with a full party is just too painfully slow for my taste. I think my playing speed is about half of PC (where I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts).

Feature missing the most is rotate party so in critical run-and-fight fights you have to micromanage everyone. Especially painful in BG1 where ranged weapons rule if you keep your distance.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I really hope they solve the rotate your party problem - I use that almost every time I move. Without it, formations are more of a detriment than anything else. It seems like an easy fix (tap and hold with one finger, rotate with a second finger), but I'm sure it's more complicated than that.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Actually I think it plays pretty terrific on the iPad, I recommend it highly. I'm not sure if it still does in the Windows version without a mouse, but there's clearly no reason why it couldn't work.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    well if it is that terrible on the ipad with support i guess it will be really terrible on windows 8 xd
    Its not terrible! It plays great! Geez. I've completed it three times on the iPad (and six on PC).
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Tablet is great! I'd play on iPad if I had one!
    Tablet per se is great and the idea of BG on one was what pushed me to buy one for myself and not use my wife's. But the actual practical implementation and usability was just aweful. If you're new to the game and can't compare to PC it might not be so obvious but if you have the direct comparison it really suffers...
    Skaffen I've been playing the original BG since it came out, and I've played EE multiple times on both tablet and PC. The implementation is excellent and it plays very well. There is nothing "aweful" about it. I'd rate the iPad version only slightly less polished than the PC version; maybe an 8.5 on a 10 point scale.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I agree with @atcDave BG:EE games 8both 1 and 2) play very well on Ipad. I even have some limited modding done and now I can't bring myself to play bg on pc any more. (though I have both pc versions) Being able to play on the go with Ipad is super comfy and cool. I am starting to believe this is how bg games are supposed to be played! It is very slightly less polished than pc version, ofcourse, but you get used to its very minor quirks very quickly, it does not distract from the experience. And once you go tablet, you never turn back IMHO.
    @atcDave For me it is plain aweful if I have a party, it feels like I have 2 left hands and get frustrated because it takes too long and too much micromanagement at least with my playstyle. From various comments I know I am not the only one with this problem. I might live without keyboard shortcuts but not being able to rotate the party is a complete killer for me.

How do you get a stack of arrows out of a bag btw.? For the life of me I haven't been able to get the counter to appear...
    Moving stacks out of bags remains a problem, its one of the few remaining I can think of.

I usually use a full party, especially in BG2, and I haven't found it a problem. But then I never used the keyboard anyway (except for "Q", "space" and "tab"!). And all those features are nicely reproduced on the main screen of the iPad.
  • smartroadsmartroad Member Posts: 47
    Back to the original question though... ;)

Is BG:EE playable with only a touch interface on windows 8.x? I ask as I am planning on getting the Surface Pro 2 and would love to play it!
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited January 2015
    It would be nice to. I did test on 4inch and it is really small :) it could be new challenge!