Skip to content

Who's the better vampire?

golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
In terms of enjoyability and flavor, not mechanics, which do you prefer?
  1. Who's the better vampire?41 votes
    1. Valen (mod NPC)
        7.32%
    2. Hexxat
      36.59%
    3. No opinion / Just want to see the results.
      56.10%

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I've never had valen, and bhodi should probably be on the list.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    edited February 2014
    Is there a mod with Bodhi available as a joinable NPC?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Valen sounds familiar, but the only npc mod I've ever used, and that's a very recent thing, is Branwen. So I'd probably have to say Hexxat, but I haven't played all that much with her yet.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I prefer Valen's interpretation of vampirism (she actually feels like an uncontrollable monster) but there was little depth to her character. I'm not really a fan of Hexxat, but she has a bit more to her. Valen is also super duper OP.

Pretty much even in my opinion, though I'd like to try both out more.

Valen sounds familiar, but the only npc mod I've ever used, and that's a very recent thing, is Branwen. So I'd probably have to say Hexxat, but I haven't played all that much with her yet.

@Silverstar Valen is a character in the game (one of Bodhi's bitches) that was made into a joinable NPC by one of the games chief creators (who also made Solaufein joinable and I think was the guy who made Ascension... best mod ever with BG1 NPC Project)

also you are welcome for Branwen! I'm glad you tried it. Please tell me what you thought of it when you get the chance!

Valen is a character in the game (one of Bodhi's bitches) that was made into a joinable NPC by one of the games chief creators (who also made Solaufein joinable and I think was the guy who made Ascension... best mod ever with BG1 NPC Project)

also you are welcome for Branwen! I'm glad you tried it. Please tell me what you thought of it when you get the chance!

Ohhhhh right. I remember now. She's the one that intially tells you to go speak with Bodhi, for one. Has a great voiceactor I think.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    erm Bodhi by a mile shes got it all and is actually one of my favourite characters in the series

Loub said:

Like many others before me,
    Bodhi.

Bodhi's bitches

An absolutely perfect name for a feminist punk band.
    Truer word have eldom been spoken.

And @booinyoureyes, you make npc mods?! I had no idea!
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    You did branwens romance in bg1 mod boo? If so great job
    meagloth said:

And @booinyoureyes, you make npc mods?! I had no idea!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    NO.

I am horrible with computers. I know how to type on forums, use Microsoft word and play Baldur's Gate. That's it! I'd love to make an NPC mod though, but I'd need a computer monkey to do my bidding.

I just informed Silverstar of the Branwen mod on another thread after he mentioned he liked the character. I didn't mean to imply that I had a part to play in its creation. I wish I could take credit for Angelo or Kelsey though :)

If I was to make one it would be a jester, undead hunter or swashbuckler.
    man, everybody totally cheated and avoided answering the question.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    And no opinion is the winner!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Well, if Bhodi was an option, she would've won in a landslide.

I didn't want to vote because I haven't played Valen, and haven't complete Hexxat all the way. So... :D
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Even if you set aside the mechanical aspect of her being severely overpowered, the biggest problem with Valen is that she makes choices for the player, which wouldn't be such a bad thing if her thinking didn't veer more towards Stupid Evil than any kind of subtlety or intelligence (sure, Valen, by all means, let's piss off a silver dragon, there's no way that can go wrong).

Hexxat is a more complex character, with just enough drawbacks (re: the Cloak) to balance out her immunities and high STR/DEX.
    @booinyoureyes yes, yes, good. Now it all fits together. I would also like to point out that I actually voted. This is also why I never put a see results option on my polls, it screws with the results.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Between the joinable NPCs, Valen over Hexxat at any time, no argue about that. For a home made mod done for free, Valen owns over Hexxat easly.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Ohhhhh right. I remember now. She's the one that intially tells you to go speak with Bodhi, for one.

IIRC, she later turns up as one of the vampires in Bodhi's hideout when you invade it. The implication appears to be that she was initially a "turncoat" Shadow Thief (hence she was able to speak to you in broad daylight) who was later made into a vampire by Bodhi by the time you confront her.
    Actually she appeared in my most recent game on Brynnlaw, as one of the vampires that jump you after that blasted Saemon betrays you
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I must say even though i'm no fan of either, Valen fits into the game a 1000 times better. I know that overhaul were limited in this respect but Hexxats existence being incredibly close to and yet entirely separated from Bhodis lair is kind of silly and just a little unbelievable. I think she would have been better of if they gave a her a unique map location with the tomb entrance some were outside of Athkatla
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Actually she appeared in my most recent game on Brynnlaw, as one of the vampires that jump you after that blasted Saemon betrays you

Valen isn't among the 3 named vampires you kill with stake at bodhi's lair in the first invasion there, hence, she wasn't permanently killed.

The implication appears to be that she was initially a "turncoat" Shadow Thief (hence she was able to speak to you in broad daylight) who was later made into a vampire by Bodhi by the time you confront her.

Oh. Well that makes more sense. I figured "Oh, so she avoids sunlight damage by wearing hooded thief clothes, why don't they all do that?"
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I like my NPCs to not be overpowered and not to take over my game. Hexxat despite her high stats is not overpowered due to being a thief and having her cloak. She also has an interesting personality IMO and I find her to be my favorite of the EE NPCs.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    Bodhi because it was the first vampire i ever saw and i compared (and still do) all newer vampires in any form of media to her
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Valen is too OP for me to take seriously, and not all that well characterized. Hexxet isn't the best written character in the world, but she at least has a bit of a backstory and past going for her.

Bodhi is better then both, obviously, but Bodhi is just cool.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Wow no Miriam?