Skip to content

all effects of Charisma stat?

Hello. Ideally I'm hoping for a complete rundown, for all BG EE titles, of the effects of Charisma. I am especially wanting to know when, if ever, the Charisma of your actual main character matters rather than the Charisma of your "face" character in the 1st party slot.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    High Charisma:

- Slows down party conflicts/scripted fights.
    - Better store prices
    - Better NPC reactions
    - some quest givers give you extra rewards

Not all NPCs automatically address the party leader. Some will talk to charname, no matter who is in #1.
  • KalesraKalesra Member Posts: 234
    Are there any extra rewards in BGII as a result of having high CHA? I can't think of any instances where that's the case off the top of my head, though I know it's the case for a few quests in BG.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    In bg1, with 18 cha you can get a dagger +1 inside of candelkeep by fetching bolts for the on guy. And hull gives you a little more money, stuff like that. Also, you may be able to run the whole game with a combination of alignments in your party.
    In BG1, there is also the guy who is afraid of the polar bear (gives boots of frost resistance extra) and Petrine's uncle gives you his cloak (protection +1) if you kill the cat and have more than 18 charisma. That's the only case where 18 isn't enough I know of though.

In BG2, it doesn't matter because there's the ring that sets charisma to 18 right from the start. Scripted fights will happen, for example "fallen" Anomen will still fight with Keldorn and not stay in a party with Hexxat and Dorn. I don't think charisma slows down these fights either.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    In bg2 charisma I much less important, because of the ring, and the NPC's that fight always fight. You can barely go For any time at all before anomen and Hexxat make you pick one.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Does anyone have a source on slowed fights?
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    In BG2 it doesn't matter much at all. not in the rewards nor in the way most dialogues play out (maybe VERY rarely, but I can't think of anything). In BG1 there are very few instances where a high charisma matters, mostly in the beginning (Hull, Fuller), but for the most part (again) it matters very little if at all.

Unless you are compiling a comprehensive list, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Bigfish said:

Does anyone have a source on slowed fights?

High charisma charnames can go through the entire game without even triggering the banters leading up to the fights (Minsc vs Edwin, Yeslick vs Kagain, Eldoth vs Shar-Teel, Quayle vs Tiax, Kivan vs Viconia), and it also slows down Harpers vs Zhents, though I think this one is bound to happen at some point. Low charisma just means you have a good chance it triggers before Nashkel.
  • KvanTKvanT Member Posts: 3
    I'm pretty sure there's at least one dialogue in BG2 where it matters: When you're doing Jaheira's curse quest and you talk to the mercenary mage in the Government district, when he offers to betray Ployer for 1000 gold, you can haggle him down to 500 if you have enough charisma.

I'm not 100% certain though, I'm basically going off of one playthrough where I did that quest, did the 500 gold dialogue option as usual, and he refused and demanded 1000, which confused me until I realized that I wasn't wearing the human influence ring and guessed that that was the reason. Might be some other variable that changed that though and it was just a coincidence, IDK. I suppose somebody with experience poking around in the dialogue files could check it.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Most of the things you recount are FALSE!
    There are very little if any charisma checks, those mentioned quest rewards are based on REACTION, which is a mix of charisma and reputation. An evil HC with great charisma and a rep of 2 wouldnt get the extra rewards.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Marcus, the guy who has documents that Edwin wants during the Mae'var questline, can be threatened to hand them over. Based on charisma? Pfeh, based on strength.