Skip to content

Getting my mod on.

DonkDonk Member Posts: 12
Hello all,

So it's time for join the cool kids and try out some mods, problem is I'm not that computer literate, I don't understand all the terminology and I've never used mods before. I'm asking for an incredibly patient individual to help me out with getting to grips regarding understanding how to add mods to the game.

I have visited numerous other websites which all had help files for things relating to mods but my understanding is more basic than the target audience for those help files and I was unable to understand them.

I recently downloaded B.G-2-E.E as I had played the original games when they were released and have finished the games and their expansions a few times hence I'd like to add some new content. The main things I've noticed so far are repeat mentions of something called Tutu and D(something) which is apparently (as far as I can tell) some form of software that I think is used to work as a middle-man between B.G-2-E.E & the mods themselves but I could be completely mistaken.

If anyone knows of a step by step guide that's written in English (non P.C speak) which they'd be willing to link in a response or something along those lines then that would be of great assistance to me as I have been unable to locate any simple instructions.

I downloaded bg2_tweaks-v14.exe but when I attempted to install it the software opened what looked like a DOS box and informed me that the instillation had failed, it said:

[C:\Program Files \Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Test Folder\setup-bg2_tweaks.exe] WeiDU version 23200

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure<"Not a game directory">

Press ENTER to exit.

(I don't know if I even have an 'Infinity Engine game directory') Now even though it claims it failed to install, when I look inside that test folder I created I see there's still three things in there despite it's failed instillation and they are a folder called:

bg2_tweaks

Along with a file called:

SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.DEBUG

...and an application called:

setup-bg2_tweaks.exe

I realize it was never going to work when I set the destination for installation as a newly created test folder but the first time I tried to run that downloaded software it failed but left new files and folders in the game folder that the installation had defaulted to and seeing as I was unable to distinguish that stuff in the folder that was there because of the actual game download vs. the things that had been placed in there due to the mod I had concerns that I had corrupted my installation so I deleted everything that had anything to do with B.G-2-E.E entirely and downloaded from the installer once again.

I have also downloaded that mod package again but have not attempted to install it as I don't really feel like repeatedly downloading 2.6 gigabytes of data.

Now I don't know if anything I've put here in this post will be of any use what so ever in helping identify what the issue is and I openly admit I have zero idea in regards to how to go about getting some fun mods up and running but it's something I'd really like to make happen so if you can be of any assistance (keeping in mind I know bugger all about this stuff) with simple advice then please be my guest, I'm all ears and would truly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this is not the correct location of the forums to place this but my issue/question is about mods and this section seems to be dedicated to mods.
NightWarden

Comments

• TasrayaTasraya Member Posts: 15
    I'm afraid as far as creating a mod goes, I'm fairly new myself, but as far as BG2Tweaks not installing for you, it sounds like you may have it in the wrong folder. The mod files should be extracted to your Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition/Data/00783 folder. You'll know it's in the right place if you see a file in that folder called chitin.key. I don't have an unmodded installation right now, so I can't tell you exactly what all files and folders should be in there, but there should be about six folders and perhaps ten to twelve files, including the aforementioned chitin.key and Baldur.exe.

As far as creating a mod, I think perhaps the best way to learn can be downloading a mod of the sort you'd like to create and just reading through the files. If it's an NPC you're thinking of creating, for example, I'd highly recommend downloading the Branwen mod from PocketPlane. It was made with the idea of teaching new modders how to work these things, and I've personally found it to be an amazing help.

Good luck with your mod-related endeavors!
    NightWarden
  • DonkDonk Member Posts: 12
    Thank you so much Tasraya, I think I have found the file(s) you mentioned and I shall (with fingers crossed) attempt to install the mod(s) once again. I wasn't actually asking how to create my own mods but rather how to add downloaded mods to the game installation so I can enjoy them in the game.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and I shall get onto attempting another installation of the mod pack right now.
  • NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
    Donk, I'm brand new to the forum and likely have even a less basic understanding than you do in regard to using mods. If you don't mind, I'd like to leave a rather lengthy post of my own in the hopes that perhaps you or Tasraya will offer your thoughts. (It will also be bit off the immediate topic...but I'm really not sure where the proper location should be.)