Skip to content

Best Buff Class(es)?

Hey,
What would be the best class/combination of classes for getting as many -AC/+rolls (Bless, etc.) onto a single character? I've considered Berserker/Mage, Berserker/Cleric, and Kensai/Mage, but the last one is the only one that is somewhat appealing. What is everybody else's opinion on this?

Comments

• golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Fighter/mage/cleric.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Traditionally, that would be Berzerker/Cleric.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Berserker/anything... One-click immunity to all the things that hurt the most.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Mage/Cleric, IMO. Multiple immunities, multiple damage and THAC0 buffs, multiple spell combos. You can almost make yourself a front-liner with all the spells at your disposal, though it would be silly to do without a party to back you up.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

Mage/Cleric, IMO. Multiple immunities, multiple damage and THAC0 buffs, multiple spell combos. You can almost make yourself a front-liner with all the spells at your disposal, though it would be silly to do without a party to back you up.

And all that with one Attack per Round. Would be a waste.

Kensai/Mage can be pushed to 10 Attacks per Round without HLA, and has the tools to make you immune to nearly everything.

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Berserker/Clerics can get an unholy numbers of bonuses and immunities.

Cleric/Mages make great buffers, as they have access to so many spells,
    they are poor targets for said buffs though.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Just go for Fighter/Mage/Cleric and done. I still want the illegal combos of F/C/T and M/C/T.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you just want the most buffs it's (F/)M/C. If you want the best build, it's kensai->mage.
  • knight1337knight1337 Member Posts: 32

If you want the best build, it's kensai->mage.

Or fighter/illusionist, you get all the buffs (a little slower of course, leave level 9 mage spells to Edwin/Imoen) plus epic saving throws plus +1spell/level plus fighter HLA (critical strike with 10APR = dead)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    abacus said:

Berserker/anything... One-click immunity to all the things that hurt the most.

Zerkers have immunity to paper cuts? Cool.

• RokarusRokarus Member Posts: 21
    Okay. I'm experimenting with a Fighter/Mage/Cleric, which works okay, but he has no armor besides a shield and helm so he's a crappy frontliner, and he has too few spells to be a buffer. For reference, I'm doing Baldur's Gate and Black Pits, then importing to Baldur's Gate 2. Stuck in Nashkel right now.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Mages have a wonderful 1st level spell called Armor that should do you for at least the early levels. It's equivalent to metal armor (Scale if I remember correctly). Then you can get stuff like blur and mirror image that will further enhance your defenses.

Problem with that character is they are going to be horribly slow in advancement unless you Solo the game, or so I would imagine.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Use spells like Armor/Shield (level 1), Mirror Image (level 2), Stoneskin (level 4). F/M/C's are good frontliners but you have to buff them. It takes a very long time to level up in the core game, so you could consider just forgoing your mage spells and wearing armor until you get to mage level 3. (Prepare sleep or color spray, and jsut take your armor off occasionally before you know you are going into combat in order to cast those spells.)
  • RokarusRokarus Member Posts: 21
    Thanks a lot. Seriously helped.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I'm playing a F/M/C and the level ups aren't TOO bad.. until you get around where I am now and things really start to slow down. I have a bit over 2 million XP and from here on in levelling any of the classes takes a long time. Fortunately, around this time you get level 6 mage spells which means.. PFMW!

stoneskin, fire shield red, fire shield blue, blade barrier, pfmw if you need it.. just watch melee enemies kill themselves trying to hit you :)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Yamcha said:

Kensai/Mage can be pushed to 10 Attacks per Round without HLA, and has the tools to make you immune to nearly everything.

yet so many people love Swashbucklers and their default one attack per round ;)

Yamcha said:

yet so many people love Swashbucklers and their default one attack per round ;)
    It is the damage not the APR, and of you dual-wield+Imrpoved Haste you have 4 APR which isn't so bad...
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    dual wielding belm and kundane should give the swashie 8 APR with improved haste.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yamcha said:

That's why you use Polymorph Self (spider form). Combine that with casting Draw Upon Holy Might beforehand and you've got a pretty capable melee character (5 APR before Improved Haste). Especially if you want to use triggers at higher levels (though this is really not necessary).
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    I would say that Ranger/Cleric would be a good class to buff yourself with. You'll get a wide range of Cleric and Druid spells like Barkskin, Ironskin, Armor of Faith, Aid, Sanctuary, Draw Holy Might etc which give you a nice bonus to defenses (and some attack bonus), all the while your Ranger class allows you to specialize more in weapons and fighting skills
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    @elminster what weapon enchantment does the sword spider use? +0 - +1 would be my guess.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014
    It counts as a +1 weapon in terms of determining what it can hit. You can always use a minor sequencer after transforming to give yourself a spiritual hammer however (which if you are at the point where you are using Polymorph Self will count as either a +2 and +3 weapon depending upon your level).
    elminster said:

It counts as a +1 weapon in terms of determining what it can hit. You can always use a minor sequencer after transforming to give yourself a spiritual hammer however (which if you are at the point where you are using Polymorph Self will count as either a +2 and +3 weapon depending upon your level).

I'd rather for Melf's Minute Meteors and then use my melee default weapon :D
  • RiemenschneiderRiemenschneider Member Posts: 4
    Blade -> Defensive Spin has awesome AC. Not that you need it or anything!

Spell Immunity: Divination -> Mislead -> Offensive Spin or Tenser's + Improved Haste, add Champion's Strength if you want. Just leave your clone far back, and kill any enemy without him being able to see you.

If you cast Dispell Magic on the priest with another character, he will be able to use his spells again :3

In ToB, get 'use any item' and cast Simulacrum from Vhailor's Helm, make many Mislead clones, let them all sing improved Bard Song.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Ranger cleric can cut the deal for you. Last time i played one, i couldn't buff me with all memorized buffs, because they simply started expiring before i could finish casting them all; almost the entire portrait was filled with symbols (counting the item buffs together).