Skip to content

Bad design in the new journal - anyone else bothered by this?

So, I was in ToB, doing Hexxat's (presumably) last quest, and another character jumps in, another former employee of L. As soon as we start talking, my journal updates itself. In vanilla BG2, this would have meant that my screen said "Your journal has been updated". In BG2:EE, however, not only do I see this, but I also see what's been written into my journal.

So, once again, I was able to read the conclusion of the discussion before I actually had that discussion. The information was right there on my screen before I actually got it in the game.

This was about the fifth or sixth time that this happened, and I can't help but think that this is just bad design. Seriously bad. Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    It's only the case in the new quests and it's really irritating to me as well - with the last Hexxat quest in SoA my journal updated with things I hadn't even heard said because I just told the woman to get lost. Dorn's quest had really similar stuff where my journal said I had to get crystals before I'd been to the centre to actually find this out.

I find it really shoddy and quite annoying.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Taear: Yep. There's way too much of that. Vanilla BG2 didn't suffer from this, in my recollection.

With Hexxat, the journal wasn't even anywhere near correct. You know there's that Sunray trap in the dungeon where you get the real Hexxat. And your journal says that "luckily Hexxat was wearing the cloak". Well, I had specifically removed that cloak from her before she walked into that trap. Upon reading that journal entry I just kind of went D'oh, that was a bad one.