Skip to content

The biggest BG2 disappointment ever.

My first playthrough. Grabbed Yoshimo and I'm cruising. I got Minsc...Jaheira, Imoen peaces out on me, but that's okay cause Aerie is right there. And I do something....I dual-class Yoshimo to fighter. I'm happy with his assassin skills, his trap and lock opening, and I want that katana proficiency to one day be grand-master style. So I'm rolling through the game, do a couple side quests, umar hills, planar sphere, realis-shai...and then go on with the main story. Yoshimo's leveled up to the EXACT level of his first class when he suddenly turns traitor. I was a couple thousand xp from cruising grand master celestial fury backstabbing, and its gone. I thought there must be some way to avoid this, but no, no matter how much searching I did online, reading walkthroughs, there was no way to avoid Yoshimo's death. I tried loading an old save, and leaving him in the slums until I could come back and get him, went through the underdark and those blasted Sahuagin only to return and see him DIE in front of me as soon as i entered the tavern.

That was my biggest BG2 disappointment/heartbreak ever. I was reminded today while leveling up Yoshimo and seeing the dual-class option available.

Comments

• vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I think there's a way you can keep him by doing something like: move him into a room with a door, then boot him out of the party. Slam the door in his face so he can't start his leave party dialogue. Go to Spellhold, then when you get back you should be able to recruit him again.

Of course he won't have any dialogues or anything because he's not meant to be in the party after that point, but I've heard this works. Never tried it myself.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    That can be iffy in BG2EE, sadly (or maybe not sadly, depending on how you feel). He's definitely intended to die at Spellhold, despite having a few dialogs otherwise. Even if you manage to keep him alive through BG2, he's almost certain to croke in ToB, where he's definitely not supposed to be.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    edited February 2014
    I think the Unfinished Business mod for BG2 restores a quest that allows you to resurrect him, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: This is incorrect, check Musigny's post below for the actual mod.
    Post edited by Mitchfork on
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    Not really, there's a specific forum for new players who don't want spoilers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    vangoat said:

Not really, there's a specific forum for new players who don't want spoilers.

The vast majority of new people only use the general discussion section of the forums.
    While it is not against forum rules to put a major plot twist in a general discussion thread without spoiler tagging it and/or putting *Spoilers!* in the title, it is common courtesy.
    Would you like it if someone told you about this before experiencing it for yourself? I wouldn't.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    There was a mod for it. Likely unfinished. I never played it - just for your info and I have no clue about the EE compatibility.
    http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=15568
    The latest weidu is version 236. Either you override the exe as explained or you already have a weidu mod with that version and the exe will "auto-update" at launch time.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    if there was one mod i wanted to see, above all other mods in this world...one that brings a story line that keeps Yoshimo
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    vangoat said:

I think there's a way you can keep him by doing something like: move him into a room with a door, then boot him out of the party. Slam the door in his face so he can't start his leave party dialogue. Go to Spellhold, then when you get back you should be able to recruit him again.

No, he's been programmed to die no matter what you do. IIRC, if he's not in your party when you go to Spellhold he'll appear there anyway, having been summoned by Irenicus. I'd have to say that his death was probably my biggest disappointment as well. I really liked having him in my party.

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It caught me by surprise in my 2nd playthrough as well (1st had been a F/T). I'd geared him up and started to rely on him. He's got a fun voice set and some good banters.

You can tell a well written story when you actually feel the sting of an imaginary betrayal though, right?
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Yea, I forgot to do the spoiler warning, but it's in general discussion forum, which says (spoiler warning!) on it, so I'm covered :)

My question is, why can't a freaking solar bring him back to life. I know "his thread is beyond my grasp." crap, but dang. I guess even a solar needs the body
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    I am really thinking about if is worth spend all this time with Yoshimo doing all the possible quests before Spellhound, because after all the alternative is actually to do the same with Jan if I am to replace him with Imoen. Maybe a loss when I have to rescue my NPC from the vampires, but is a short time. Actually, I never used Yoshimo too long because I learned the spoiler early (I played the game the first day of release, but I was a slow player).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @MonoCanalla
    Nalia is another alternative, though admittedly she's a much better mage than she is a thief.
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Back to the topic. I believe that for most of us the biggest disappointments have come from the plot of the game. For me it was not Yoshimo, it was the type of sacrifice I had to make at the end of the game in order to get a certain sword. I remember regretting for days for the choice that I made :)

in terms of game mechanics my biggest disappointment is clearly the fact that you can't backstab with non-thief weapons. I was just cruising the game and loved having valygar in my party, terrorizong enemies with celestial fury, boots of haste and cloak of non-detection. Then I found the Impaler spear and was like "wow, amazing backstabs await". Valygar had 2p in spears and 1p in THW and I was so dying to stab them with the spear....:)
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    and a spear makes a better backstab weapon, logically, than a freaking quarterstaff.