Skip to content

Copying and renaming mass amounts of .spl-files with weidu

dibdib Member Posts: 384
I saw some thread here in the forums requesting a Favored Soul kit, and I decided to have a go at it.

What I'm wondering now is if it's possible to copy every priest spell and rename the copies so that they get a custom prefix but keep the number suffix. So bless would become ABCD101.spl for example. I would also need to change offset 0x001c to 1 for every spell copy.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    first question: is this going to be a sorcerer kit?

If so, you would have to name each spl with the mage spell prefix, so they can select them at character creation and level up.

This precludes keeping the suffixes because then your new spells will overwrite mage spells that have the same suffix. For example, say bless is "sppr101.spl" and magic missile is "spwi101", then the mage bless spell will be renamed "spwi101" and will replace all instances of magic missile.

you can use weidu to extract all priest spells for you, but I think you'll have to name them manually to ensure that there is no conflict.

You also have the fact that these other spells will be selectable by other sorcerers and, at.character creation, by mages and bards.

As for offset 0x001c, I'm not sure, though it is possible to figure out by looking at existing mods. i can investigate next weekend if you are still curious

I gave a suggestion in that thread, but I find myself wondering if it is possible to exclude wild mages. (looking at 0x001e)
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    dib said:

What I'm wondering now is if it's possible to copy every priest spell and rename the copies so that they get a custom prefix but keep the number suffix. So bless would become ABCD101.spl for example. I would also need to change offset 0x001c to 1 for every spell copy.

Something like this:
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~SPPR.*\.SPL~ ~.~ INNER_PATCH_SAVE newname ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ BEGIN REPLACE_TEXTUALLY CASE_INSENSITIVE EXACT_MATCH ~SPPR~ ~ABCD~ END // PATCH_PRINT "%SOURCE_FILE% --> %newname%" // uncomment for debug output INNER_ACTION BEGIN COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~override/%newname%~ WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 1 END BUT_ONLY
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    @prophet1 Are you an angel? Thank you! My brain turned to mush from scouring the weidu documentation last weekend. I eventually gave up and started making a huge list of copy actions for each priest spell in the game. Your solution is obviously a lot more elegant.

Regarding the favoured soul kit, I'll make a thread when I have something playable. Because of engine limitations it's not going to be very pretty though...