Skip to content

How Can I Make Cleric's Able To Use Bows?

unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107
edited December 2013 in General Modding
I really want to dual-class a Ranger (Archer), to a Cleric in BG2, however as many of you know, it is the only dual-class option, and quite possibly the stupidest of them all, considering archers get GM in bows, and then if you dual to cleric, you can never use them again -.-, which makes sense right? I am an archer, i master archery, then pursue being a cleric and focus my energies there until i am proficient at both classes, shit i forget how to use a bow :(...lol

Too me its unfathomably unrealistic, is there a way i can change the variable which disallows certain weapons for certain classes, it would be awesome if i could just allow class "Cleric" to use all bows in game (Or if i could just make CHARNAME able to use all bows), i understand i could simply force the weapon on my Char, but then i can't switch bows without shadowkeeping again and "ain't nobody got time fo dat".

So if anybody could offer any mod/hack/advice/etc that could make this happen, i would appreciate it, thanks

Comments

• unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107
    Mangekyox said:

The easiest way to do this would be to download the program Near Infinity (must be placed in the installation directory) and you'll be able to navigate through the game files.

Open the "Search" menu bar at open CRE/ITM/SPL/STO .. Or alternatively CTRL+F
    Select ITM and search for "bow". This will list all the bows in the game.

You can now double click on the weapon which will bring up the details of the bow.
    Change the Tab to "Edit" and the 8th line down should be "Unusable"
    You can change what classes can wear the item by unticking the selected box.
    Save the item and repeat through each bow you want. This will allow the class to wear the item.

Now to allow your class to add points into the profiency.
    head into the top subheader "2DA" and go all the way down to the file "WEAPPROF.2DA"
    this table shows how many points each class can distribute into each of the profiency.
    If you go all the way along to your Cleric/Ranger and change the 0 on the same line as Longbow to a 5 and the 0 on the same line as shortbow to a 5. This will allow you to place 5 proficiency points into longbows and shortbows.

All this applies to any items/classes you wish to mod.
    Make sure you export each file out before modding them. Do this by right clicking and exporting them. this is so if anything goes wrong you can just copy the exported file back into your game and start over :)

Any other help let me know. I'm still learning myself but I'm more than happy to help where I can.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/45358-nearinfinity/

SOOO many bows...lol, thanks a lot, i just went through all of them, there are a couple of duplicates at the end of the list with a funny looking item name (comp1(etc).ITM) not sure what those are for, but i did them all...really appreciate the quick tutorial
  • MangekyoxMangekyox Member Posts: 25
    Yeah it's a bit time consuming but it worth it to remove the limitations within the game for more variety :)
    You're more than welcome for the help :)

On a side note. If you're using CLUAConsole commands the names of the items also refer to the code to spawn them.
    For example Comp17.ITM would be CLUAConsole:CreateItem("Comp17")
    Just in case you decide to look through the game files for items to spawn as not all items actually made it into the game. So you may find a hidden item which you may like, or just simply create your own :)
    I believe some of those files such as Bow19B.ITM are components/materials for upgrading/creating an item. Although I haven't start on BG2 modding yet. Still completing BGEE mods :)
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    This is awesome information, and exactly what I was looking for! I wanted to give my Dragon Disciple a fire type sword and I know there is one in the game. So I can use this to format my Dragon Disciple into what I want her to be.
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Hmm... I've downloaded the near infinity as well as the other acm file... but how do I run the near infinity program? Or am I missing something?

Everything seems to be downloaded and extracted to my Baldurs folder in my steam folder.
    edited December 2013
    Near infinity is a Jar file which runs off java meaning you don't require any special installation it's a place in designate directory and open and it will work :0
    If you place it in your installation directory (for me it's C:\Program Files\Beam Dog\Baldur Gate Enhanced Edition0) You should be able to just double click on the Near infinity.Jar file and open it. Fairly simple.

The fire type sword is pretty much the equipped appearance, so you can apply that appearance to any weapon you like including your own custom sword you design once you know how :)
    an advantage of being able to design your own sword for your dragon disciple would be that you could apply the spell "Aura Cleansing" to be a permanent buff on your character while the weapon is equipped.
    What Aura cleansing does is remove the delay between casting spells meaning you can chain cast spells without delay (only casting animation). Exactly like the HLA in BG2

Also on a side note, you are able to change the colour of the flames from the sword by adding a few effects onto the sword ;) for me I have a blue fire sword to try represent blue lightning :)
  • unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107
    Just to expand on my progress, i actually had to go through every arrow type + quiver of plenty as well for my Archer/Cleric...And make them all "usable" but it didn't take too long and was worth the work...Thanks again...
    ahhhh yes I forgot about the arrows being restricted to classes as well :p
    oh well, glad you got it working :)
  • darkly180darkly180 Member Posts: 19
    Or you could download the excellent Ashes of Ember mod which removes weapon restrictions for most classes. You can then impose your own restrictions for RP purposes.
    RAM021
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    darkly180 said:

Or you could download the excellent Ashes of Ember mod which removes weapon restrictions for most classes. You can then impose your own restrictions for RP purposes.

RACKHIR THE RED ARCHER!!!!
  • lloOolllloOoll Member Posts: 4
    @ CrevsDaak : I'm dying to get my hands on AoE, but the Pocket Plane Group's webpage seems to be out of order ever since around December 2013 (only place I know where to find it).