Skip to content

Mouse cursor changes to weird glitchy graphic

The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
Current Behaviour:
When I clicked the middle mouse button during a conversation with Dreppin, the window centered upon him and the cursor turned glitchy. It looks as one had put seven cursor icons over another and cut them all off on the sides. The problem persists into Windows, and is only solved by restarting.

Expected Behaviour:
Clicking any mouse buttons during conversation shouldn't do anything except select dialogue and scroll, as the game is paused.

Comments

• CuriouslyCuriousCuriouslyCurious Member Posts: 13
    Just to confirm this bug on my game and system as well, glitched cursor for me looks like a vertical rectangle with lines running like layers across it, though this happened randomly when scrolling the screen, for me. Issue persists into windows for me too, turning the windows cursor invisible, until either restarted or put into sleep mode and brought out again.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    @CuriouslyCurious Thanks for confirming. You described that "sawblade" glitch graphic better than me.
    I would like to add my cursor transformed twice again during my last play session. Once it was glitchy for about five seconds, the second time for about a minute. In both instances, it changed back randomly.

I believe it might have to do with pressing the middle mouse button for no reason. I've got a sort of a nervous mouse hand, so I can't tell for sure whether I did press it before the glitch happened, but I think so.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Could post your system specs too? This doesn't happen with everyone so they need more info.
    edited November 2012
    Yes, of course.

I'm playing on a Dell Studio 1558 laptop, Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit), Intel i5 CPU (M430, 2.27 Mhz dualcore), 4 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 4580 graphics. The mouse is a standard low-budget laptop mouse.

Do you need any more infos? I believe we can't post attachments, but if you request it, I'd be glad to send you a dxdiag file or whatever else is needed.
    Post edited by The_New_Romance on
  • CuriouslyCuriousCuriouslyCurious Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    I'm playing on an Acer Aspire 5552G laptop, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD Phenom II X4 N930 2.0Mhz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD6470, mouse is a Gigabyte Laser Mouse. Yesterday evening, I was playing BGEE for a while and I didn't get the corrupted cursor, so it does seem to be something that doesn't happen all the time, just frequently.
    The problem is still there, and I believe I had one instance of the cursor transforming without me clicking the mouse.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    Does this problem still persist after applying patches and if it still exist, turning off the hardware mouse cursor (in the game's graphics menu)?
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    Do you have any sort of fancy mouse driver installed or anything like that?

I know some mice have a fancy menu they bring up on middle click. Can you try hitting your middle mouse button a bunch randomly and see if you can get it to reproduce?
  • forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31
    If you haven't already tried it, I would suggest trying to update the ATI graphics drivers to the latest version possible. I remember having corrupted mouse cursor issues with ATI drivers in the past, although they were in no way related to this game. I haven't seen it happen in a very long time (used to happen on the very computer I'm typing on now), so as far as I know it has been fixed a long time ago.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I have the same issue from time to time. Sometimes it fixes itself by scrolling the mouse to the sides of the map, other times I have to restart the computer. The problem does carry over into Windows once BG:EE is closed out. It's a minor bug for me, but annoying. There are obviously much bigger bugs and issues to worry about in my opinion.
  • EudaemoniaEudaemonia Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2013
    I have had this issue 4 or 5 times on an iMac running OS 10.7.5 with a Radeon card - once it turned back to a regular mouse cursor when I quit the game, the other times I had to reboot - I use an old logitech mouse and have "hardware cursor" selected.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    If anyone can reproduce this with Hardware Mouse Cursor turned off, or can confirm that turning Hardware Mouse Cursor off solves this issue, please post here!
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    If your mouse looks sort of like this

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

But closer together, it is a problem with ATI graphics cards, it happens with a lot of games. Idk if there is a fix, but often buts moving your mouse really fast fixes it for me. If this isnt the same problem. Oops.
  • Markus_ZhangMarkus_Zhang Member Posts: 13
    I also have this problem after patching to 2014
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @Markus_Zhang - does turning off Hardware Mouse Cursor solve this problem?
  • jontycampbelljontycampbell Member Posts: 5
    Yep I have this problem too on a Lenovo C205 running Win 7 with BGEE, looks like a stack of white telephone receiver symbols or a stack of thick parentheses: ) lying points downward.

Glitch persists into windows desktop but turns into a stack of eight (8) full stops/periods.