Skip to content

Favourite section of the BG saga?

2»

Comments

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    edited March 2014
    Unlisted choice: Rolling stats. I've spent countless hours just rolling stats on characters that never leave Candlekeep.

Mid BG2 I feel is the sweet spot. At this point everyone in your party has good gear, three or four really powerful items, and access to all the vital spells in the game. You feel in control of almost any situation and are comfortable with the pace of your game. Finally there is still so much ahead of you to explore with Spellhold, The Underdark, Suldenesselar, and Hell, you are motivated to press on. Unlike in BG1 where, once I hit The Gate, the game feels like it becomes a whole lot smaller.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212

For me, this is not a power question, as the poll presupposes. My favorite part is chapter 2 and 3 in SoA where I raise money for a good cause by exploring the world doing interesting side quests. There is freedom whithin a frame of purpose and goal in mind. I am free but I do also have a mission to complete.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited March 2014
    Late BG1 for me! Always my favorite section! Also, a large variety of items available in TOSC, are BG2 items too (cloak of displacement, amulet that resists psyonics, etc)... I always adored the endgame 1...

It was a tough decision, because i also considered endgame ToB, too. But maxing my character made me feel bored, and i did not like very much annihilating everything on sight with such ease...
  • ermaneth2193ermaneth2193 Member Posts: 4
    New adventure! Who am I gonna play as? Who am I gonna get for my party?

Excitement!
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    I actually like all of BG1 and most of BG2, up until you kill Bodhi and restore Imoen's soul. I couldn't care less what Irenicus does with mainchar's soul, after having killed so many it's probably a good thing to lose it to him. This way it will be Irenicus who will be stuck with the bill ultimately.

I never liked TOB, all this circus with Melissan is just silly - c'mon, you suspect from the first meeting that she is the final boss and still cant do anything about it. At least in EE there are new NPC with their quests.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    @Ollmer, if you don't get your soul back, it's said that you'll slowly wither away and die, feeling this great empty void within. Not too pleasant fate for your protagonist, I'd say! ;)

Personally, I like pretty much the whole saga almost equally. The diversity of its different stages is one of the reasons you can't really get bored and what makes every hour of playtime interesting. If I had to choose, though, I'd say early BG2 > early BG1 > rest. Just because there's so much to look forward to, when starting a new playthrough. Possibly trying out a kit for the first time, cool decisions to make regarding party composition, revisiting some NPCs you hadn't played with for a long time (or ever), maybe checking out some interesting mods. And then you just get hooked and emerge from your room 2 weeks later with another BG saga playthough under your belt.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    I like mid BG 1, closely followed by early BG2. I like all the options open to me, the real sense of danger and needing to use the items I've picked up (maybe even using spells or potions I wouldn't normally just to get through.) Money is an issue, and I like shopping around and thinking about what I'd like to afford eventually.

And I guess the reason I kinda prefer BG1 is just the medieval feel to it. The story of BG2/ToB is more interesting, but a little too sci-fi looking for my personal taste.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2014
    I do like and enjoy all of the BG saga, but the middle of BG1 is special to me. You start getting more health on your fighters, to the point that they can actually fight and survive. Enemies like bears and wolves that you had to run from, you can now fight.

You'll pick up your first fireball spell, being able to clear an entire camp of Xvarts, kobolds or gibberlings in one spell is a wonderful feeling after being afraid of one of them. You're starting to have a few magical weapons, you pick up your first full plate, you feel that your team is actually getting somewhere.

The whole area with the bandit camp, cloakwood and then finally getting into Baldur's gate.

The most memorable and beloved part of the series for me is finally getting into the city of Baldur's gate. It's like the game truly starts once you get across that bridge.