Skip to content

Spears don't seems useful all the time...

It doesn't always thrust, it has 33% slash, 34 crush and 33 thrust, I wanted to report this because several spears don't have 100 on thrust like they should (this was fixed by @CamDawg‌ in the BG2 fixpack IIRC).
The items that haven't been corrected are:
SPER02
SPER03
SPER05
SPER06
SPER07
SPER08
SPER09
SPER10
SPER11
SPER12

Comments

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    Small correction: It's not the Fixpack that changes this but it is actually a component of the Tweak Pack. What it does is change the spear animations to this:

10% overhead
    20% backhand
    70% thrusting

However, I second everything else you said. I, too, think all spears should be fixed to use 100% thrusting animations. The main reason for this is BG:EE. In vanilla BG1, the spears have the same problem of inconsistent animations, and what BG:EE did was change them all to 100% thrusting attacks (except SPER04 of course). It would be reasonable for BGII:EE to do the same again with the BG2 spears.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, Fixpack (and by extension EE) doesn't actually touch this, since there's no indication that it was unintended. I personally think those weapon animation tweaks are better overall but not to the point where I think they should be the baseline.

The tweak doesn't make them 100% thrust anyway--I think it was something like 70-80% thrust with the rest given to swinging attacks for a little variety. If you ever see folks fighting with spears, it's not all jabs.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @CamDawg: But as I said above, BG:EE changed the spears to 100% thrusting. I agree that the animation tweaks are better than vanilla BG2, but I think BG:EE and BGII:EE should use the same percentages then. So would it be best now to make them all use the 10-20-70 ratio of the Tweak Pack, i.e. fix BGII:EE and adjust BG:EE?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @CamDawg‌ Where does one go to see folks fighting with spears? All my favorite spear fighting venues have been shut down! ;)
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    @procco Have a look at some of the fight scenes from the movies Troy or Hellboy 2, some good examples of (somewhat over the top) spear fighting.