Skip to content

The tale of (almost) soloing Irenicus with a shadowdancer that did not used a staff [SPOILER]

I did a run using only Yoshimo in my party at all times. My PC was a shadowdancer and I kept Yoshi alive after spellhold by resetting asylumplot in EE.

Now... Irenicus in Hell.

That was tough and I almost thought I couldn't beat him.

First, the demons he summoned. Those were dispatched with a mix of traps and HiPS/backstab.

The tough part of the slayer battle was his regeneration. Wich is stupidly high! I was doing around 40-60 dmg in backstabs with cutthroat+4 and the time it took to be able to HiPS again was almost enough for him to completely regenerate that amount of health! And If I missed one backstab, that gave him time to almost always completely regenerate.

What I had to do was play around him until he used all his spells. My SD had AMAZING saves with the claw+gaxx+human flesh+2 bonus from the Tear and +1 slippery mind (SD class trait).

By that time I still couldn't just tank him because I had no tanks in my party. Only Yoshimo. So I got Yoshi far away in a corner setting 5 traps while I backstabbed the slayer and hoped for some criticals and no misses to get him to "Injured". Then, I started using shadowstep, to make the time between backstabs shorter and giving him less time to regenerate. By the 4th shadowstep he was at Near Death and that's when I lured him into the traps and killed him.

It is possible to beat him without traps. But it does require some pretty decent luck =P

Anyhow, That's my first win on this game and it wasn't an easy one!
jackjackCrevsDaakDee

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Turn into a slayer. With improved haste, a slayer gets 10 attacks and each attack hits at 25 strength. In my solo Level 1/1/1 game, Irenicus had no chance against this setup.
    jackjack
  • PblackPblack Member Posts: 37
    @bbear‌ But, i couldn't turn into a slayer at will in that fight. That power only comes in ToB...right?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Nope. You get this after resting once after Spellhold.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    There is a bug where you only get it once. If you sign up for the BG2EE beta (you need to own the game from Beamdog) I believe that particular issue has been fixed in it. I'm not certain if it will restore the lost ability however. Otherwise you can probably shadowkeeper it in.
    jackjack
  • CLsdlt80CLsdlt80 Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2014
    If you save and load after using it the ability appears again... even if you don't rest. I just tested this in ToB (never used it in SoA) playing on a PC. @Pblack, on which system are you playing this?
    Post edited by CLsdlt80 on
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    This was another bug that was caught and went unfixed, correct?
    CrevsDaak
  • PblackPblack Member Posts: 37
    @CLsdlt80‌ iPad

BUT as I said on the post: I alteres the variable ASYLUMPLOT in EE in order to keep yoshimo. That might have something to do with it.