Skip to content

Hobby Portraits - mostly WIP pieces. Currently Jaheira x3 + Neera.

randNamerandName Member Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Fan Creations
Doing some of these for personal character training and fun - just wanted to share.

None of them are final, but some like the bust of Jaheira and Neera might never go further than this as I already want to remake them (well already did with Jaheira for the full portrait.

E: the JPGs are the state they are in as I paint, so uncropped etc. The BMPs are cropped however and the smallest should just be the face, but not been too careful with them as they aren't final.

Jaheira v3 WIP (bmps)
High-res version http://imgur.com/ZHATNOw

Jaheira v1 Rough (no portrait versions)

Jeheira v2 WIP (abandoned but bmps made)

Neera (should fix some lights and eyes but done for now, added bmps)
High-Res > http://i.imgur.com/8c2DRvY.jpg
Post edited by randName on

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm very impressed. They don't match my vision of those characters, but that might be my bias toward their historical appearances.

You did forget the lava lamp neon lighting, though! (joking)
  • randNamerandName Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    Well I don't want them to match as such - well Neera I looked at a bit closer, but for the rest I just make something that works within the Lore etc and will continue to do so for personal and professional reasons (the V3 of Jaheira I can use in my portfolio without any work really).

Or Jaheira being a fighter/druid with somewhat of an attitude - and then I matched some of the things from both the BG 1 portrait and some to the BG 2 (both are very different characters, but the BG2 is weird).

& thanks.

E: And as for gear, especially with the latest piece (Jaheira v3), I aimed for the cRPG experience of loot dressing - or you don't get a perfect set of clothes and armor for anyone and everyone is dressed up as rich scavengers.
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    While I cannot fathom why so much attention and effort is spent on depicting surface darthiir, one cannot deny these are striking portraits, @randName. You've an eye for the smaller details indeed. Trademeet's artists would do well to cultivate such vision.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Awesome stuff!

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28402/custom-pc-npc-portraits/p1

Would be great to see you share more of your work!
  • randNamerandName Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2014
    Update - no bmps for now - post a HQ version to Imgur if anyone want to grab portraits.

HQ version > http://imgur.com/xEiIlm9
    Heindrich said:

I'd like to draw your attention to this thread...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28402/custom-pc-npc-portraits/p1

Would be great to see you share more of your work!

Aye, why not - and thanks :)

While I cannot fathom why so much attention and effort is spent on depicting surface darthiir, one cannot deny these are striking portraits, @randName. You've an eye for the smaller details indeed. Trademeet's artists would do well to cultivate such vision.

I need to sort that out later ~ but I am saving the best for last. & ty.

The face is currently the focus of attention - finally - need to kill the hard nose seen bellow and the shadowing on her that is all off.

progress - of a sort.
    Post edited by randName on
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Wow those are stunning! :) I love how you give so much attention to the background as well.
  • XigYigXigYig Member Posts: 1
    Hey randName. Looking solid. I know this is for a cropped portrait, but I'll talk a bit about the whole image of Jaheera.

I prefer the "hard nose", better structure. You might try toning down the light reflected by the iris, particularly when the eye is in shadow. Viewed at a smaller scale, it makes the character look a bit cross-eyed. I find the arms and hands, which seem readied to draw a weapon or something from the belt, to be awkward in contrast to more relaxed pose and expression. Besides that, I'd try moving her legs a bit closer and giving the right leg a more clear inner thigh. The negative space cuts in in an odd way.

Nice paintings overall though.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited March 2014
    Just have a thing to add. Real women's thighs don't tend to have that large a gap (if any) between them, even those of models. When they do appear, they are usually photoshopped in some way. And I'd suspect that Jaheira is rather muscular for an elf… and she's used to walking. She'd be toned, but not Supermodel thin. You know, something more like this: image

I only say this because I see these kind of thighs on mannequins, and they never really look right to me.

(Edited to remove shot of a painted woman because Boobies and well, completely naked).