Skip to content

[Suggestion] Scaling the walls of Candlekeep before chapter 6

ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
edited March 2014 in BG:EE Mods
So I had this idea for a neat mod:

Outside Candlekeep (at the small path leading towards the ocean and the cliffs a thief (could be either gender) is lying in wait. He always had an interest in 'seeing' the books that the keep had to offer and especially an interest in their value in gold. If the player approaches the thief (based on a charisma check of course) he will, after a short interrogating dialogue proving that the player is trustworthy, reveal his plan of scaling the wall, where he stands under the cover of darkness. The biggest challenge, however, is that in Candlekeep everybody knows everybody. Therefore the player can tell the thief that he is originally from Candlekeep himself and can simply lie if anyone asks him how he got back inside after he left with Gorion. The thief will then give the player a rope which he can 'activate' on the wall next to the thief at night time only (same as how activating machines work in Irenicus' starting dungeon for instance).

Back inside the player will be confronted by a (scripted) guard, by Winthrop (if he chooses to talk to him) etc. Here the player would have a few options: 1. I Scaled the walls! 2. Gorion brought a book which I used to get back inside after he was assassinated. 3. I never left. It was just a smoke screen made by Gorion to make the would-be assassins leave Candlekeep. 4. (to Winthrop) shhh, don't tell anyone! I scaled the walls under cover of darkness. And more could be added.

These things aside, it should simply be Candlekeep pre-chapter 6 taking into account of course who isn't there anymore (Gorion, Firebead). In this way the mod would add a way to get back into your old home.

The idea could be expanded by an actual quest to enter the keep and steal books for the thief outside. That would be great, but it's a secondary idea really. And it may be a problem seeing that the keep is normally only used for chapter 6, but I'm not a modder and so I'm not sure.

Finally, in chapter 6 when the player would normally enter the city with a book the area is reset to fit the chapter as normal.
Post edited by Thalamond on
BlackravenSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I feel this is a bad idea. What's going to push the character to move forward in the game if he can return behind the safety of these walls?
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    Perhaps the fact that Gorion already mentioned: Assassins will always find their way to you. Even within the safety of Candlekeep.
    SCARY_WIZARD