Skip to content

Gorion and the protagonists mother......

The forum says spoilers so yeah....

Anyway, at that part again in Throne of Bhaal when you're doing the second test in the pocket plane. Alianna the supposed mother of the main guy is saying she was a priestess of Bhaal. Doesn't Gorion claim him and your mother were once lovers in BG1? Why would he be banging a priestess of Bhaal? Is he lieing or is this test made up?

Just wondering....

Comments

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    THANKS A LOT GUYS!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It seems like the old Obi-Wan Kenobi lie: "Darth Vader killed your father".

Sometimes a lie can be to spare the feelings of a character. If Luke knew Vader was his father it might have destroyed his resolve, or sent him to the dark side. Similarly, knowing that CHARNAME's mother intended to sacrifice them to Bhaal would be a genuinely traumatic event for the young Bhaalspawn. One Gorion doubtless wanted to avoid.

But then, we've got fairly unreliable narrators on both sides of this. Gorion may have lied, and for all the Solar says that souls in the Pocket Plane must tell the truth we cannot be sure.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Corvino said:

It seems like the old Obi-Wan Kenobi lie: "Darth Vader killed your father".

I feel the same, it is like 'Hey CHARNAME, your bother died and you don't remember her, I'm not your father but I was romancing her anyway' in my first BG1 game I didn't ate that one, I was like WTF!? This can't be! And then much later in BG2:ToB I came across some spirits summoned by Solar... Just to make myself completely sure: Gorion had lied to me.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I'm with Lemernis here. I think what Gorion said was suppose to be true, the whole thing about your mother and all, but then ToB changed it for cheap shock value.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The Iron Throne has the last laugh, heh!
    I think its strongly suggested that neither of them knew she was a bhaalspawn. Imoen's origin is left in open air, as far as we know she was an orphan raised in Candlekeep like supposedly you were.
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    The only thing I never got re. Imoen is how CHARNAME is able to assume Bhaal's portfolio with Imoen still alive. I always thought the Bhaalspawn thing worked like Highlander, i.e "there can be only one", so how can CHARNAME (in the event of the player choosing to do so) ascend to godhood with a chunk of Bhaal's essence still walking the Realms in the form of Imoen (and potentially a much smaller chunk in the form of a revived Sarevok)?
    She gave up her essence to him, wich is apparently a thing you can do.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2014
    Even making Imoen your sister (and fellow child of Bhaal) doesn't really make sense - why is it that Gorion was only intent on rescuing you, and Sarevok was only focused on killing you, if Imoen was also a Bhaalspawn?
    She's your half-sister. That means you have a different mother. Unlike you and Sarevok, there's no indication Imoen was one of the children left at the temple when Gorion saved you (in fact, she came to candlekeep *ten* years after you). Given how Imoen has somehow suppressed the taint of Bhaal with her cheery cheerfulness, it makes perfect sense that neither Gorion nor Imoen knew her true nature. For the sake of completeness, here are the biographies (emphasis is mine):
    When asked about her past, Imoen slaps your shoulder playfully. She says that you of all people should know, seeing as how you grew up together. Indeed, some of your fondest memories are of meeting this sprightly young lass. She apparently came to Candlekeep much as you did, though 10 years later in life, and she spent much more time with the gruff Winthrop than Gorion, "Puffguts" she would call him, much to the old innkeep's dismay. She seems the eternal child, and is quite content to play the part of little sister, though you are both of comparative ages. You can tell by her hearty smile that she will always be willing to travel with you, no matter what path you take.
    Imoen chuckles when you ask her about her past, assuming you are just trying to keep her mind on happier times and places. She indulges you, and certainly does cheer up when speaking of how you spent your youths together in Candlekeep. She arrived there the same as you, in the company of your foster father Gorion, but despite this similiarity she grew up much more carefree than you did. Indeed, her lightheaded outlook has long kept her immune to the hardships of the world, though the dark confines and horrors of your current location have definitely taken their toll.

The only thing I never got re. Imoen is how CHARNAME is able to assume Bhaal's portfolio with Imoen still alive. I always thought the Bhaalspawn thing worked like Highlander, i.e "there can be only one", so how can CHARNAME (in the event of the player choosing to do so) ascend to godhood with a chunk of Bhaal's essence still walking the Realms in the form of Imoen (and potentially a much smaller chunk in the form of a revived Sarevok)?

That's not how it works. The five are just the strongest of the bhaalspawn, not the "final" five. Imoen is not the only bhaalspawn still alive at the end of TOB: there's the fellow that teleports whenever he encounters bhaalspawn (and you can save him when he's stuck in Saradush), and at the fire giant temple there are several "minor" bhaalspawn, one of which is a rabbit IIRC. You can totally ignore that encounter and even if you decide to fight them, they flee the scene after a short while. Additionally, even though many bhaalspawn died at Saradush, nowhere does it say Melissan gathered *all* bhaalspawn in Faerun in that single city, so I think it's safe to assume there are other minor bhaalspawn left alive.
    The bottom line is: the essense of even a single one of the final five is perhaps as strong as all the other bhaalspawn combined.

No story is without plotholes, and although the writers might have done things better differently, I think most things people have issues with aren't plotholes.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Lemernis said:

But that said, Gorion is a Harper. I.e., he's a spy. And sometimes a spy's gotta do what must be done to complete the mission.

What I'm getting from this is: Gorion is fantasy James Bond.

(With this knowledge, read all his lines in BG1 and try not to have Sean Connery voice it in your head, I dare you).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2014
    Maybe the Priestess of Bhaal was lying to Gorion, like dressing her best floral-pattern pink gown when meeting him. In her free time she wore only the blackest cloaks, bandoliers with poisoned daggers on a skin-tight black spandex.

Maybe she was trying to infiltrate Gorion and Harpers, maybe-just maybe- she really loved him but her duty came first. And Gorion had to slay her when he saw her true, ruthless and wicked nature, in order to save an innocent baby. Had the priestess killed the baby, she would have been dead to Gorion anyway, he can't be with such a heartless, wicked lady. Or the kind and loving lady he fell in love with, never existed at all.

I wonder why people never cast detect evil and know alignment spells on their lovers in Fearun. I think that might have been considered rather rude. But I sure would have fled from even the most sexy person in the world if the alignment read 'CHAOTIC EVIL!!!' (lawful evil I can manage, if the person is reaaaaaly hot! lol)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Love is blind in our world, maybe it's mute in the Forgotten Realms?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

I think Alianna wasn't a priestess of Bhaal to begin with, when they were both courting. But then she got seduced by Bhaal himself, leaving Gorion in a struggle between love and duty :D

Yeah, that may be the most satisfying explanation: Alianna turned to Bhaal after her relationship with Gorion.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    lunar said:

In her free time she wore only the blackest cloaks, bandoliers with poisoned daggers on a skin-tight black spandex.

Ok, this really says way too much about... Well, let's just say TMI. LOL.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    lol!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Had it ever occurred to anyone to wonder if Sean got teased as a kid for that accent?