Skip to content

Solo no-reload pitfalls

I'm sure many people have tackled this challenge before. I have made many attempts and still have yet to succeed. What are so fatal encounters you have experienced in a solo no-reload game? What are the times when you get lucky and miss near-deaths?

In the current game, I always try to play it "safe". My solo FMT always equip the Shield of Harmony (protect against Charm, Hold, Confusion) and occasionally Arbane+2 Shortsword (provides Free Action minus Slow in vanilla BG2) and Dragonslayer (protect against Fear).

My PC just returned from Underdark and there a few many near-death cases. In the encounter with the human party while my PC was a drow, he got blinded by the Imp. The mage then sneaked up toward my PC and cast Maze! Luckily, his 15% MR activated and save his butt! When my PC returned to Athakla, one of the Githyankis from the ambush cast Maze on my PC! Grasp! Unpause and my PC has saved against the spell. I was surprised that the Githyanki Maze allowed a saving throw.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    In BG and early BG2 mind affecting and movement hampering spells are pitfalls for me. The Greenstone amulet takes some time to activate, so has to used preventively, and its effect doesn't last very long so that sometimes you need another charge. An occasional save vs spell/death/breath/etc is what I consider being lucky (I try never to even have to save, but haven't yet reached perfection).
    Another pitfall in my case: overconfidence, both when faced with 'lesser foes' I don't want to waste potions/charges/etc on, and when deciding to take on strong foes that have gear I'm interested in. In SoA unnecessarily taking on a dragon for its loot is something I'd consider reckless, at least until you're very experienced.
    Lack of metagame knowledge knowledge is likely to be fatal as well. I haven't gone through SCS SoA/ToB enough to anticipate what lies ahead all the time. My most succesful no-reload run, with a multiclassed Swashmage ended against Irenicus in the final phase in hell where Irenicus with his Balors and Glabrezus and Cambions and what not SHREDDED my party and finally my charname.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Tbh, in a solo no reload game, I would allow reloads if I am mazed. It is not a permanent status after all