Skip to content

Trouble Importing characters from BGEE to BGII EE

Hey all,
I've copied and pasted the saved folder of BGEE to the BGEEII folder. When I open up BGEEII, I can see all the previous saves, but when I try to open the character I want to import, it crashes. BGII goes unresponsive and freezes on the Load Game menu. I know I'm trying to open the right file. It's called Final-Save.

Can someone help me?

Comments

• DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Are you trying to load the game itself or does it crash when you click import character in the create new character screen?
  • BlinkkBlinkk Member Posts: 25
    wow I'm a moron. I didn't even know there was an import button. I thought you had to open the game from the save menu. Prob solved, thanks Dregoth.
    edited March 2014
    Ah wait, maybe not. I imported my character, but the character's avatar is an outline of a head with a big ? in it. There's no artwork on the column of the right side of the screen. There's a space above Imoen's head, but it's just a greyed out question mark.
    Also, my character doesn't have any items from the previous game. I thought you could carry over items. Is that normal?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2014
    Portraits don't transfer over with characters, because it's in a different file. If you have a custom portrait, copy it and paste it in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition's portrait folder. If there isn't one, make it.

And yes, you're supposed to lose all your items. You get some of them back, though this is bugged I think. The Golden Pantaloons never transfer for me.
    Thanks for the tip, Artemius. I'm not having luck with copying the portrait. Not sure what's wrong.

I copy the new portrait over just fine. I can see it in the Load Game screen. But when the game actually loads, the ? comes back. When I go back and recheck the folder, the copied portrait is gone and replaced with the ?.

I'm gonna skim the forums to see if anyone else has answered this same question.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    You have to copy the portrait out of the game, in the file system. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition files are in the My Documents folder. In each folder (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition) there should be a folder named portraits. If there isn't, you have to create it. Copy your portraits from the first game to the second game by copying the contents of the portraits folder. However, that is for custom portraits only. If you chose one of the new-to-EE portraits in the first game, that's a whole 'nother story. I suggest you just pick a new one, that's what I did for my Shadowdancer.
    Fixed the problem. If anyone in the future has the same problem, check out the first post of this thread. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28402/custom-pc-npc-portraits/p1