Skip to content

monk as tank? - 1. ioun stones vs criticals; 2. dual wielding

Basically, can the Ioun stones block critical hits in BG2EE? (Otherwise a monk has x2 damage vulnerability even with the best AC.)

Also, can it gain +++ in dual wielding?

If yes to both, a monk dual wielding katanas in the frontline with magic resistance boosting items seems to be a formidable opponent and a much better wizard slayer than the wizard slayer, no?

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Ioun stones block critical hits.
    Not sure about dual-wielding, but I don't think three pips is possible.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Ygramul, there's also the Scarlet Ninja-To +3 exlcusively for monks.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    Anything that takes up the helmet slot (including the King Strohm mask) will block critical hits.

Monks can't put towards dual wielding at all. Only single weapon style. They also can't put anything more than 1 point towards anything. There is a bug at the moment where a monk can put a weapon in their off hand but the loss of Thac0 is such that its really only going to be worth it at higher levels.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2014
    Hmm... in that case:

- BGEE should have had an Ioun Stone (at least the Infravision one) -- great disadvantage to a front liner monk: you will be chunked by Gibberlings frequently. (Monk is a no-go for no-reload.)

- with only a single pip, your APR will be abysmal (though Belm + improv. haste would give 4apr, this is is still not impressive)

Q.: does a bare hand monk fare well? What is the greatest enchantment fists get? Can you punch demons and elementals such and live to tell the tale?

Otherwise I'm gonna ask: what's the bloody point? I had to let Rasaad go in my no-reload run after realizing that I was hauling around just a mediocre slinger... Does it ever get better?
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2014
    Ygramul said:

Q.: does a bare hand monk fare well? What is the greatest enchantment fists get? Can you punch demons and elementals such and live to tell the tale?

Otherwise I'm gonna ask: what's the bloody point? I had to let Rasaad go in my no-reload run after realizing that I was hauling around just a mediocre slinger... Does it ever get better?

It does. In BG2. There Monks become way too awesome.

Not sure, on that but I think fists count at best as +4 weapons.

Monks are not tanks. They should be micromanaged to go for the lone mage or archer in the back and pound them with their fists or stun them.
    They kinda work like Thieves, hence their proficiencies and skills.

You don't put a Thief in the frontlines to tank and you don't put a Monk as well.
    Unlike Backstab, Stunning Fist works any time, not just in the first attack (unless you go invisible or use Shadowdancer).

By the way, Rasaad is instead a Sun Soul Monk. Cannot remember of the specifics, but he should be played a bit more offensively than other monks.
    He gets flame fists and a flame attack.
    To add to what others have written...

After level 5 monks are immune to haste. So IH would do nothing. Using Belm would mean that you are either using it as a single weapon, which would mean you would be doing less damage and not more (you'd lose some APR and fist damage by using it). Using Belm in your offhand (because of the bug) would mean that your main hand attacks all get -4 Thac0, and your one offhand attack gets -8. In early BG2 this would be all for an extra 1/2 attack per round (which in my opinion is not worth it). Might be worth it in later BG2 but by then you'll be close to getting the Whirlwind abilities (or already have them).

Wow. Thanks.
    So, that actually looks formidable late game.

... but still I kinda hoped for a katana wielding monk. Alas.

Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but:
    - PfMW -> Lower Resist Sequencer -> Zap! means a high level mage will still wipe the floors with a monk...
    (then again high level mages do that to anything that ain't a mage...)
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    'Cannot be slowed or hasted'????

I don't think high level mages from a script standpoint would concern themselves with a monks magical resistance. Maybe in a mod like SCS but not in the vanilla game.
    Oh, I only play SCS, no-reload.

Hence the concern about monk survivability...
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I really need to try scs. As soon as i finish my no-reload (likely minimal reload by the end of the run) I find out how to install it for iPad
    With SCS I suggest to NOT install rule change kind challenges. AI improvements are awesome: I cannot play without them. As are some of the end-chapter improvements.

But I think mages-cast-a-dozen-spells-at-round-1 type 'improvements' are silly for a no-reload run. Just don't cheese yourself, and it will be fine fine game!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Monks are awesome in BG2. I had the chance to play with Rasaad for a while in bg2 and he did very well. Had the best AC in my party and with a strength potion he did impressive damage with so many inherent attacks/round. He also had nice area effect damage abilities and could heal himself in a pinch via lay on hands. Not to mention he had a very fast movement rate and excellent saving throws and a bunch of inherent immunities.