Skip to content

Mod Request: BGII "import" without the import

JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
This is a request for someone to make a mod that will have all new characters made in BGII start with 161000 experience, +1 in all stats (+3 wisdom) or start with appropriate tomes and manuals (provided these work in EE version), and, optionally, start off with the golden pantaloons and/or Drizzt's gear. Thank you.

Comments

• NikPrussNikPruss Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2014
    Edit: this post is now useless, sorry, tried editting the comment but won't let me attach a file to an edit.
    Post edited by NikPruss on
    edited January 2014
    This File is an ARE file (area) for Chateu De'Irenicus. It adds the tomes to the weapon chest, all identified now, and also adds the pantaloons. I don't have any events set to increase experience to the 161000 exp. I'd recommend CLUA'ing it in (SetCurrentXP(161000) ). If I feel like it I may run a script when opening the table to run that Code, but as of right now I don't have Weidu, my weapon of choice, and I am just hacking these together.

I didn't add Drizzt's Gear for two reasons, : Canon wise it'd be removed before you got there. The real reason is I'm too lazy to look up what gear he drops (don't have BG1EE installed, just BG2EE).

EDIT: This file did indeed have some other mods conflicting with it, I'll post again when I finish a clean install, and upload the file. Easiest thing to do then is to drop this file before any other mods into your override folder

Post edited by NikPruss on
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited January 2014
    Thank you, NikPruss. This was pretty close to what I was thinking. Do you know if the tomes and manuals work properly in EE version? I'll find out soon enough, but they didn't work in vanilla BGII.

I browsed through a lot of the 2da with Near Infinity, but couldn't find anything on starting experience. If it's possible, I'd still like the option to start the character with 161000 exp, as if I had imported a character from the first game. I can use the console or EE Editor, but this requires a bit more than simply changing the experience. I'd miss out on a few starting spells, for instance.

I think, in an upcoming patch, they're planning to have certain flags from the first game be relevant to the sequel. One dev commented that you'd have to import from a saved game, rather than just using chr. file, of course. I'll probably add a couple more requests when this happens, but, for now, I was just hoping to start a few evil aligned characters with Drizzt's gear. I'm unsure if the encounter with Drizzt in the sequel is tagged by gear upon import (when game starts) or if you have his gear when you finally meet him again.

Anyhow, appreciate the file and I'll play around with it in the meantime. Thanks again.

ps. Do I simply drop this file into the data folder in main game's folder or do I need to create an override folder?
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The Drizzt gets angry is triggered by having imported a save with his gear on it. Irenicus apparently sold all his gear, but Drizzt is aware that it existed if you did an import with some of it on you.
    OK, thank you, Twani. I'd guess, for now, I'd have to create the evil character, add the gear (and make any other changes), export the character, then start a new game after importing that edited character.

I'd like to get into some basic modding, but adding optional starting gear and experience is something that's well beyond me. Heh I tried simply creating a couple of weapons once and got lost in the process. If the tomes and manuals work in EE version, this alone will be a great add, as I can hand them to other npcs that I'm using in a quasi-legit matter.
    Okay, so yes the tomes work correctly, they are in the databank and worked for me when I tested them.

All you have to do is extract the .are file into your override folder, which should be located in your BG2EE directory, if it doesn't exist, just create a folder. My Folder Looks like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\override

As for additional Gear, i'm about to head off, but if you post what you want to show up in the chest, I'll add to the chest and upload a new file.

Then about the XP, I'm not sure where it's coded in the game, but the only time I recall it ever changing was when the fans created BGT, there was an XPpatcher, which was later adapted, but it doesn't seem to work for EE. As for adding spells, i'm not sure if it takes level into account, or just gives you options based on class and multi and what not.
  • Nivek5150Nivek5150 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I was looking for a mod exactly like this so I didn't have to re-play through BG1. I put the file in my override folder and installed some other mods and everytime I tried to create a new game it crashed. I loaded up an old save and my other mods were working fine. I decided to completely uninstall the game and do a fresh install. The only thing I did was make an override folder and put the .are in there, and it crashed. I took it out and was able to start a new game. Any idea what might be causing this?
    edited January 2014
    @Nivek5150

I updated the mod (sorry it took a few days) after I did a clean install. It seems I had other mod data being called in that are file.

Below I attached a file that is a clean install, and adds 9 items (books and tomes of stats from BG1[1 of each, and 3 for wisdom], and golden pantaloons). This should be a clean item, and should be the only thing it changes. I'm currently working on a weidu executable that will install it, making it universally compatible.
    I was playing around with Near Infinity tonight and found the STARTARE.2DA file. It has the starting experience, so I tried exporting it and changed the experience to 161000. I put the changed 2da file into my override folder, started a new game, and my mage was able to select higher level spells. I finished the character process and started a new game and he did have 161000 experience. My computer didn't blow up or anything, either 8p

I'm also looking into editing AR0602.BCS, the script that starts in AR0602.ARE in a new game. I'm pretty sure this is how I'd go about adding the golden pantaloons, Drizzt's gear, and the tomes and manuals to the characters starting the new game. I just have no idea how to script or anything.

I think in the next patch that they are adding some other flags from BGEE saves, such as Neera knowing if you romanced her or not. When that happens, I'm guessing they'll further add to the AR0602.BCS script and I'd like to customize then, too.

For any serious modders out there, is it possible to optionally add these things, to the script or otherwise, and have different desired outcomes on each new game? Or would I have to redo all of the wanted changes for each new game? Again, any help, tips, and suggestions are appreciated.