Skip to content

What RPG to play?

2»

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    American blogger with .de address, what?

Anyway seems pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    This may not be at all to your tastes, but if you like excellent traditional JRPG's with little twists and you own a 3DS, then pick up Bravely Default. It's glorious. But I doubt the people on this forum are really into JRPG's...
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    If you like the cartoon, South Park - The Stick of Truth is a good and fun RPG to play. I'm having a lot of fun with the game.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @agentmulder‌ Even if you don't like the cartoon it's a good game. I can't stand the cartoon, but I thought the game was very amusing.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    @MonoCanalla‌ Well, technically, Eye of the Beholder series was published by SSI, although the first two, (much better than the third), were developed by Westwood, who also made Lands of Lore.
    That said, I loved Menzoberranzan and both Ravenloft games!
    Edit: it sounds like you only played The Stone Prophet. If you could find a way to get the first game, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, I highly recommend it to you - it's set in Barovia, the original Transylvanian setting of Ravenloft. To me, it's the better than both its sequel and Menzoberranzan.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Elrandir reminds me of an absolute gem - if you don't mind JRPGs then check out Chrono Trigger. You can get it on DS or PC emulator and it's a lovely little game. Nicely detailed sprite graphics, a decently balanced pseudo-turn-based combat system and a paradoxical time-hopping plot that takes in everything from Cavemen vs. Dinosaurs to Postapocalyptic wastelands. Class.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

If you like the cartoon, South Park - The Stick of Truth is a good and fun RPG to play. I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

I played it for a couple of hours before and I loved it. I'm waiting for it to drop in price before I get it though.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014
    jackjack said:

@MonoCanalla‌ Well, technically, Eye of the Beholder series was published by SSI, although the first two, (much better than the third), were developed by Westwood, who also made Lands of Lore.
    That said, I loved Menzoberranzan and both Ravenloft games!
    Edit: it sounds like you only played The Stone Prophet. If you could find a way to get the first game, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, I highly recommend it to you - it's set in Barovia, the original Transylvanian setting of Ravenloft. To me, it's the better than both its sequel and Menzoberranzan.

I second @jackjack‌

Strahd's Possession is the best of the three, and is definitely scarier than Stone Prophet (about three quarters of the game's monsters are undead - skeletons, zombies, ghouls, wights, wraiths, specters, vampires AND revenants!). The only caveat is that combat can be very tough. Monsters hit with very high frequency and they do a lot of damage, both physically and with status effects.

Also, don't forget the AD&D Gold Box games - Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, and the Pool of Radiance series (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness)
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Yeah, Pre-Bladur's Gate era was totally a different story. It was a blessing to find a D&D scenario, specially Forgotten Realsm, and not all of those titles were published in all the countries, I think. I missed Strand, but I think what pulled me out from playing it was because it wasn't first person (it was a big thing back then) and seemed more primitive than the other ones. With primitive i mean, like 1st Edition vs 2nd Edition. I might be wrong, but it had the feeling that the rulebook and the choices to make your charater, item list etc... was limited. Menzoberranzan felt like a big explosion of details.

Being the point of the thread recommendations, I'd recommend playing Menzoberranzan. It has exactly what you would miss of the Underdark chapter of Shadows of Amn (being great in what is is, of course).