Skip to content

Why didnt any of you tell me about this Character!!

FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
The Half-Orc AXE-CHUCKER.

I created a half-orc kensei with grand mastery in Axes, then bought him the Azureedge and picked up the +2 axe from the bandit in the sewers...and WOW. The rest of my party can't get a killing blow to save their life! This guy is a freaking monster.

Wondering if any of you have used a similar character. Read some polls online that showed that he keeps up with (and even out DPS'd) archers and other ranged characters. Will he stay viable throughout TOB? I believe there is a +4 throwing axe in TOB if i'm not mistaken.

Comments

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Yeah there is a +4 throwing axe in ToB. I am so gonna try this out. This is such a breath of fresh air. Although I'm sure we're breaking some D&D rule since I doubt kensais are supposed to be using throwing weapons - can't use darts for example. But dang this sounds cool.

The +4 axe likely makes him better than an archer really. Ribald is supposed to have a +3 throwing axe. I've never seen it! Is it in the chapter 6 inventory or something?

Anyway this sounds freaking sexy. Minus the half-orc part. Well, the half that isn't an orc might be sexy.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Interesting. Have never tried such a character. You can't dualwield returning throwable axes as you must have noticed with Azuredge. So I suppose your playing single-weapon style. There are good axes even in ToB, so don't worry about that.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Yep single weapon style! Just meant that I am switching to azure edge for zombies and using +2 axe for everything else. Looking forward to upgrading to the rift home axe though!
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    19 Strengh in BG:EE is a world, make the difference between life and death, in BG2:EE, that's not so much important.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Yes but with a tome 20 STR, which is very good even for BG2, plus as a half-orc also 19-20 CON, which is good for the vulnerable Kensai
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014
    I use axes for my PC kensage too. It is a very strong class of weapons with many advantages:

1. Enchanted Weapon can get you a +3 Axe when you're starting out
    2. Stonefire +3 is accessible early in the game and the fire damage helps
    3. Azuredge +3 destroys undead and accessible early in the game
    4. Axe of the Unyielding +5 has a vorpal effect (save vs death at -4 but it still works and you can cast Greater Malison to better your chances)
    5. K'logarath +4 has a knockdown effect.

One of the best weapon choices for a Kensai or Kensai/Mage, with both melee and ranged capability and good effects.
    Thanks for the tip. This charname's party was the first of mine to complete EE ToB.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I worry when threads for unusual-sounding classes start on that particular day ;)
    I think they just wanted a cooler name than say Weapon Master, which I guess is the closest thing to a third edition equivalent. Although those can wear armor, they actually have a "weapon of choice" and can't just decide they're multitalented kensais because they maxed out two different weapon proficiencies.

And I mean, conceptually, why shouldn't someone be able to nerd their life up mastering a weapon just because it's not a sword?

But doing it with a thrown weapon is obviously creative use of game mechanics, since kensais can't otherwise use ranged weapons. I will however say that my kensai wasn't actually the greatest murderess in the party, rather the staff-sporting berserker was. And that's with rushing to Amkethran to get the +4 axe and leaving WK for after that.

I could think of a few reasons for that other than raw damage output (where the kensai should probably win), like blunt weapons typically working on everything, but yeah considering the zerker can take some beating too I wasn't convinced the kensai was ragingly overpowered, even like this.
    You have intrigued me with this +4 axe! I'm just about to do Firkraag and then head to Spellhold...where is Amkethran? Is that something i can do now? or have to beat Irenicus first.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    @derrick4372‌

The +4 axe is K'logarath that I talked about in my previous post. If you want a throwing axe, go buy Azuredge +3 from the Copper Coronet, or go to the sewers and fight Tarnor the Hatchetman's party. He carries Hangard's Axe +2, also a returning throwing axe. If you sided with Bodhi, you should be able to get the Rifthome Axe +3 from one of your missions. It is also a returning throwing axe.
    edited April 2014
    disregard me I'm late
    Post edited by enqenq on
    edited April 2014
    Thanks @jacobtan‌ - I've got all 3 of those lol (azureedge, hangards, and rifthome). Thinking about grabbing the dwarven throwing hammer from Trademeet for those pesky golems.
  • AerevynAerevyn Member Posts: 14
    Awesome build, making mine now... He's called Shagga (son of Dolf)!
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Sounds like fun... Although i would prefer a dwarf berserker with grandmastery to axes and warhammers... Still, half orc is a pretty decent race. Good bonuses. Some argue that stat raising methods make them less shiny/appealing, but i disagree. 20 str 20 sta is simply beastly.
    Shagga - lol. Love it. I'm currently running a 5 man party. Blackguard (2-hand sword), Priest of Helm (Flail), Skald (harp, duh), Mage/Thief (shortbow and magic), and my Kensai. My Kensai (doing ALL ranged damage mind you, with rifthome +3 throwing axe) is doing 53% of the killing blows. I was blown away. This guy is an absolute monster. During combat, i find myself watching the axes travel from his hand to the target, knowing they will die when it hits.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    A point for further consideration: the BG2 TweakPack provides the option of wielding axes two-handedly. This makes the Axe proficiency the most versatile prof in the game: single-weapon, dual-weapon, two-handed and missile. Not bad. Will play a dwarf or half-orc Kensai like that soon.

Skald (harp, duh)

Kin ye throw the HARP? Screw axes, let's see a kensai throwing harps.