Skip to content

Why couldn't they just raise Gorion from the dead?

Why does everyone in the game act like someone dying is a serious matter, when there are clearly people capable of reviving them? Why did they just leave Gorion to decompose when there's a Priest of Oghma in Candlekeep who could have brought him back?

Comments

• jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014
    There is a spell that can raise the dead even if little of the creature's remains are available: Resurrection (7th-level priest spell). Alternatively, a properly-worded Wish spell (the real PnP spell and not the one in-game) will usually work. But both spells require the caster to sacrifice his life force - he will age a few years casting the spell. Hence, this is another possible disincentive for the Candlekeep priest to raise Gorion from the dead.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    I think resurrection is more of a convenience thing for the player. One thing that kinda bothers me about death in this game is that there isn't a body to carry when it happens. Also, it can take 2+ days to travel to the nearest healer. I would think a body is a little too far gone by then.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Because it would lessen the dramatic effect of it if he was Resurrected.

"Oh hey, child. Thank you for raising me, now let's continue from where we left off"

And because Deathbringer Assault. In game, that attack would chunk you.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Gorion really reminds me of Ben Kenobi so I think he should've appeared as a ghost sometime during the saga, maybe ToB. All we get are a doppelganger and a master wraith masquerading as him and being pretty spiteful. Let him have some development and influence without flat out resurrecting him.

Maybe he could only appear to good and neutral charnames.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Or simple reanimate one or two parts of Gorion's chunked body. He then would be like Baldur's Gate very own Mr. Thing T. Thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AuH1FLVvkE
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    When the body is too badly damaged it can't be resurrected. In the game that is represented by getting chunked. For aesthetic reasons the Sarevok vs. Gorion battle doesn't show Gorion getting chunked. But arguably it should have. I guess in that sense there should just have been some body parts lying around for his corpse. I mean the chunking animation is a representation of too much damage to raise from the dead to begin with, versus literally exploding, but anyhoo.

Perhaps Sarevok more or less clove him in two with that great sword. Too much damage to resurrect him.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Ah, please, no... This is not an MMO, in which clerics can revive anything. Besides the story and its purposes, the lore, the clergy/gods/faiths, it would be pointless if permanent death was absent from the game. Ressurecting everything would turn this game's genre into high fantasy, don't you think?

Despite said arguements, i really liked the return of Sarevok, though. Very much.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Would it be silly to say Gorion might have had a bit of Bhaal-essence in himself, making him as unraisable as Charname?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    well it'd certainly be a weird plot twist
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I honestly don't remember too much about Gorion's background. However, a powerful guy like Gorion being a bhaalspawn might better explain why Sarevok himself bothers to show up than our meek Charname does.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    My made up "philosophy" is that there's a certain amount of time that you have between death and the ability to have them raised from the dead/resurrected, mainly due to body decomposition but also a sense of life force having flown from the body and being unable to come back.

I also always say that every character gets one chance to be raised from the dead and one chance to be resurrected. After that, they're either screwed or living on goodberries xD
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014

My made up "philosophy" is that there's a certain amount of time that you have between death and the ability to have them raised from the dead/resurrected, mainly due to body decomposition but also a sense of life force having flown from the body and being unable to come back.

I also always say that every character gets one chance to be raised from the dead and one chance to be resurrected. After that, they're either screwed or living on goodberries xD

Yes that is quite true. Resurrection requires that the dead person has not been dead for more than a number of years equal to ten times the level of the caster. Also, every constitution score has a corresponding "resurrection survival rate". Roll percentile dice when character is raised. If the roll fails, the character can't be raised for that casting of the spell. Maximum number of times that a person can be raised is his constitution score.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You know why?
    He got chunked!
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Could it also be that Gorion's body wasn't discovered by the people of Candlekeep until it was too late to raise him?
    edited April 2014

It's been too long for me to remember the source now, but for a NWN2 persistent world I was involved with way back when I did research this, and I'm recollecting that there is in fact a time limit (at least for Edition 3.5). Also, the soul of the deceased also may like it where they ended up, and not want to leave the plane their soul went to. They're supposed to take a -1 hit to Con if they do come back.

In 2nd edition AD&D there's a table for survival during the attempt at resurrection by magic. If the die roll comes up short that's it. Character is permanently deceased. I think it's probably the same in 3.5. but I don't have a DMG handy.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Per 2e PnP the time shouldn't be too big a factor, I think its like one week per level of the caster? Its been a while, so I'm not positive.
    But as others have pointed out, Raise Dead requires the body be mostly intact. It's not hard to imagine Sarevok disfigured him in such a way to make Raise Dead impossible. In fact, many DMs I've gamed with will simply assume "bad guys" routinely do such things to fallen enemies.
    Resurrection is harder to foil like that. But it is 7th level and requires a permanent sacrifice from the caster. So it is reasonable to say Gorion's young ward simply had no way, no knowledge even, of how to get a Resurrection.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Charname escaped the area, leaving Gorion's body in the wilderness. In the game when a party member dies, I believe the party supposedly carries his/her corpse around to get a raise. If you drop the dead member from the party, his corpse stays there forever.

In Gorion's case his corpse stayed there for the night and was possibly ravaged by the bears, dire wolves and gibberlings around the area. Also, maybe Sarevok's death bringer assault snuffs out the life force so utterly that raise dead won't work.

It would be cool if the area of the slaughter lacked Gorion's body when the charname gets there next morning. Instead there would be pool of blood, ripped clothing and animal tracks. When you click the '?' Hovering on the pool of blood, There would be a message saying 'from the blood and animal footprints, you understand that large wolves and other predators seem to have ripped Gorion's corpse apart. There is no part of him left around.' Gorion's belt, dagger, and his note could be found scattered around the carnage, lying undamaged. That would have been grisly but cool.
    lunar said:

Charname escaped the area, leaving Gorion's body in the wilderness. In the game when a party member dies, I believe the party supposedly carries his/her corpse around to get a raise. If you drop the dead member from the party, his corpse stays there forever.

In Gorion's case his corpse stayed there for the night and was possibly ravaged by the bears, dire wolves and gibberlings around the area. Also, maybe Sarevok's death bringer assault snuffs out the life force so utterly that raise dead won't work.

It would be cool if the area of the slaughter lacked Gorion's body when the charname gets there next morning. Instead there would be pool of blood, ripped clothing and animal tracks. When you click the '?' Hovering on the pool of blood, There would be a message saying 'from the blood and animal footprints, you understand that large wolves and other predators seem to have ripped Gorion's corpse apart. There is no part of him left around.' Gorion's belt, dagger, and his note could be found scattered around the carnage, lying undamaged. That would have been grisly but cool.

I think Gorion should literally get chunked in that sequence. Let's see him explode.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Because him dying was important to the game's plot but if they made dying a permanent thing the game would be far too hard for anyone to properly win. Resurrecting party members is not a gameplay mechanic acknowledged in story events, so that way death has real consequences. This is true for any game that has death and resurrection in it.

Really, resurrection isn't something you should acknowledge storywise even if its there gameplay wise.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited April 2014
    i don't really agree, i think it breaks immersion

edit: i remember being really disappointed on one of my first playthroughs- i tried to find a way to bring gorion to a temple and at every temple i visited tried all the dialog strings to see if noone would fancy coming with me to raise him. charname missed his daddy.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    To be truthful, no matter what the state of Gorion's body (I agree that Sarevok's Deathbringer Assault probably made it impossible for Gorion to be raised with a simple Raise Dead or Jaheria's Harper's Call), a Wish spell would be able to raise him, or even probably a resurrection spell cast within seven days. (I forget if Miracle, the cleric equivalent of Wish, is in AD&D or was just made up for 3rd Edition, but if it does exist, it should be able to raise him as well.)

But, well, I guess Elminster was too busy being cryptic to save a spell for your old mentor. It's not like there are many people with the level to cast Wish in BG1.

Now, why your Bhaalspawn wizard/sorcerer doesn't cast a Wish and wish for Gorion to live again in BGII (or, for that matter, for Yoshimo to live again- though Yoshimo may not wish to be raised, considering his last words)... well, maybe they forgot about Gorion after all the torture. Silly Bhaalspawn.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Because Raise Dead is a 5th level Cleric Spell and you'd need 225k XP to reach level where it becomes available.