Skip to content

Which class should I play through the entire series?

DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
I don't want to go as fighter-mage as they are way to powerful and I want a challenge. Pick a class then leave a comment option of kit and alignment.
  1. Which class should I play through the entire series?85 votes
    1. Fighter
        7.06%
    2. Ranger
        7.06%
    3. Cleric
        5.88%
    4. Druid
        9.41%
    5. Mage
        7.06%
    6. Thief
        8.24%
    7. Bard
      16.47%
    8. Sorcerer
      16.47%
    9. Barbarian
        7.06%
    10. Monk
      15.29%

Comments

• DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    Lol that's awesome.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    Biased here, but Wild Mages are a good challenge at lower levels and loads of fun. They do get overpowered at high levels, though, so they may not be what you're looking for.

Monks can be challenging, since it takes them a lot of time to build up steam and you're not allowed to use the best items in the game. Another possibility is one of the less stellar kits, like Wizard Slayer and Shapeshifter.

As for alignment, I say you should decide how you roleplay. Evil aligned-characters will generally have to deal with less companions (because they'll all leave your party at low Rep), getting attacked by guards (though this may be a good thing if you're an XP hound), and worse prices at stores (again, low Rep), so that'll be the alignment I'd advise. Law-Chaos wise, it doesn't really matter, pick what you like.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I just finished BG1:EE as a vanilla ranger and I loved it. Although strictly a warrior class, you can be both a long range sniper and a dual wielding tank with equal effectiveness. I would go out on a limb and say that a vanilla ranger may be the best class in terms of pure fighting ability in BG1.

I know a lot of people are dismissive of vanilla rangers because they don't gain the same sort of spellcasting or innate abilities that other warrior classes do (like paladins or barbarians), but their adeptness at dual wielding allows you to wield multiple weapons at the same time that give special bonuses or resistances, with minimal penalties. I'm looking forward to continuing on in BG2, where there are tons of magical weapons like that.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    The Druid is an underused and underestimated class. I've had great fun with an Avenger (a playthrough I had to abandon because of game crashes). They're very versatile to play, which will prevent you from becoming bored with your character. You'll get to nuke (and stun) opponents with Chromatic Orbs, frustrate enemy casters with the different 'insect spells', control crowds with Web and for exra fun shapeshift into a Sword Spider (with Free Action) to attack your webbed enemies, heal yourself and your party members, cause mass destruction with Lightning bolts (wearing Talos' gift and actually using your otherwise redundant Prot. from Lightning spell), shapeshift in various other forms besided the aforementioned Sword Spider, you'll get all kinds of great summoning spells. Great kit, yet not as overpowered as the Fighter/Mage you mentioned or a Sorcerer.

The other Druid kits are a bit less versatile I think, but still enjoyable.. The Totemic Druid is nice if you like your Druid to be a summoner. The Shapeshifter doesn't work the way it's supposed to, unless you're willing to use a mod.

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Some evil thief assassin. Its not a godly class and its not weak either. You can find your traps or set them and pick locks, so you don't have to rely on another NPC thief. This frees you up to have more fighting type NPCs or spell casters.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    For me the best classes are the ones that start weak and grow progressively stronger (to the point of being OP but basically anything is OP at the xp cap). That way i really feel my character becoming powerful.

For that matter the best classes IMO are :
    - sorceror. From a puny caster to a walking god on earth
    - monks (whichever kit you want). Crappy offense and defense for quite along time. Utterly invicible (100%MR, huge damage, very low AC) at higher levels.
    - swashbucklers. Their power come from their passive bonus, which scale with levels.Other thieves suck too much fighting-wise to my taste.
    - Blade. Like a balanced FM. Very verstatile and powerful but need to use most of his skills to be good (by opposition to a FM which will slaughter anything using either fighters or mage skills)

Multis are better avoided if you want any kind of challenge. They are much too strong, from the beginning.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    If you are going for powerful, but a challenge, I expect my next playthrough will be with a Shadowdancer. Try it! Lawful Evil. They have some unique capabilities that make them unlike any other class to play, so it should be a new experience ^^
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2014
    Now I picked Bard because well ... Bard.

But if you want something different you should give a Gnome Thief/Cleric a shot.
    Once you get the strength tome you are better off than the Half-Orc - racial skills and shorty saves.
    20 con is a little overrated IMO.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited May 2014
    I am currently going through the trilogy with a Blade for the very first time and am having a blast! Like @mumumomo said, the class plays like a well-balanced arcane fighter. Unlike a figher/mage - a class I have always found too omnipotent and versatile to the point of chaotic - the Blade uses his spells primarily to enhance his battle prowess, spending most of his time not casting on the sidelines but rather whirling his weapons in the thick of combat. In my eyes, having fewer spells is more of a blessing than a curse as it helps you stay focused and prevents the Blade from becoming too much of a swiss-army knife. It is also an incredibly rewarding class kit to play, starting out modest (BG and early SoA) and gradually growing into an offensive dynamo (mid-SoA and beyond.)

The primary strength of the Blade lies arguably in his faster level progression. This means that your spells, though fewer in number and capped at level 6, will always be more powerful and longer-lasting than those cast by a mage or a sorcerer of a comparative experience total. As a rule of thumb, it is better to leave the casting of offensive spells to your mages and focus on the blues and whites instead, with some exceptions. Here are a few neat tricks off the top of my head:

Lower levels:
    - using Armor, Mirror Image and Blur in combination with defensive spin gives you surprising tanking capacity. Once you get level 4 spells, you can put the two spells into a minor sequencer and use it as a secondary stoneskin.
    - Minor Globe of Invulnerability works wonderfully in conjunction with stationary AoE crowd control spells like Entangle, Stinking Cloud and Web. Just send in a globed Blade to tank the enemies while having your mages pelt them with fireballs et cetera.
    - Protection from Fear, just because.
    - The level 1 spell Spook gets powerful really fast due to its saving throw penalty being tied to your level. At the end of BG (level 10), enemies will have to save at -5 penalty or be inflicted with fear. Couple this with a cast of Greater Malison from your mages and you're almost guaranteed a hit. Using Spook in a minor sequencer with the Ray of Enfeeblement is a great way to debilitate powerful targets.

Higher up:
    - Immunity: Abjuration/Divination in conjunction with Defensive Spin, Mirror Image, Blur, Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility (in whatever form) and Contingency (hit): Protection from Magical Weapons gives your Blade amazing staying power. At level 20, I seldom find myself ever needing to use a healing potion
    - Tenser's Transformation. I feel like this spell was designed with Blades in mind. One click and your Blade now has the THAC0 and damage bonuses of a high level fighter AND a +2 bonus to his hit and damage rolls as well as double hitpoints. With Tenser's, you will momentarily out-damage every other melee class there is, even the monk. And because of its level-bound duration, it will last through pretty much any battle. Also, if you download my hotfix you can use it in conjunction with your spins to amazing effects.

Like many have already pointed out, the fun part of playing a Blade is that you really have to make the most of your spells, abilities and items to be effective. The class lacks the "out of the box power" of a warrior and requires some creative thinking to really shine.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2014
    ...Why isn't the Paladin here? WHY ISN'T THE PALADIN HERE?! *Goes Xzar on the OP*

Seriously though. The Paladin provides everything someone new to the series needs to survive.

-Able to wear all armor and shields
    -You don't need to get married to a weapon like the Fighter
    -You get +2 to saving throws right off the bat
    -The various kits provide different and permanent immunities
    -Carsormyr for Paladins (nuff said), Soul Reaper (is that it's name again?) for Blackguards
    -Spellcasting. Mainly, Draw Upon Holy Might for self-buffing
    -Lay on Hands. Free, instant healing for emergencies
    -Turn Undead
    -Bunch of other buffs for the party. Protection from Evil/Remove Fear etc

The Paladin is durable, powerful, can self-buff and self-heal, can use one of the most powerful weapons in the game and the saving throws/immunities/HP protect CHARNAME from an early Game Over.

Or just go Berserker and get another great class which has lots of HP and lots of immunities when he rages.

I would recommend the Sorcerer only to pros of the game, those that know most spells inside-out and how to use them effectively.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You said you wanted a challenge so I'd say go with a bard. Probably a jester. Also since the hla traps for bards are currently bugged (you can only set one per area) that will just add to the challenge.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2014
    I was torn between recommending either Bard, Cleric, and Druid, but I went with Druid. Don't have anything further to add to @Blackraven's well presented case for why.

Bards are fun to try maximizing because what at first appears to be a weak class holds their own when you use them to their full potential. If you actually use all of the wands and scrolls that the game drops (in addition to what you can buy) you have a pretty darned effective arcane magic user in a Bard. Just for fun, I make it a point to try using most of the loot drop scrolls in the Bard's quickslots (okay, Infravision--no; but Burning Hands, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray? Sure). I would recommend using the Light Crossbow of Speed, bolts of biting when you can get them, and liberally quaffing oils of speed or Hasting to get 3 APR with that weapon. And of course pickpocket targets that have worthwhile items. Granted those cut-purse targets are few and far between, and it helps if you already know which ones have pickpocketable items. But anyway, there's quite a bit you can lift.

A pure class Cleric (or kit if you like) presents an interesting challenge because they can't get more than one pip per weapons proficiency. However if their Dex is high enough they won't get hit that much, and then they're okay on the front line. I try to get their AC down to around -5 if I can. They only get one APR (unless Hasted), but if the cleric uses the Stupefier that makes it a little more fun. I send clerics into melee and have them cast their spells there as well. Because, again, if their AC is low enough their casting won't be interrupted with successful hits very often.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    From your aversion to F/Ms I assume you aren't a power player... If that's the case, Bards are ideal... They're never game-breakingly OP and are always reliant on their allies.
    As for kit... Blades are my personal favourite... Use UAI to dual wield belm
    & Scarlet ninja-to and rain the pain in offensive spins!
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Fredjo said:

Chaotic evil regenade Dark Moon monk who's too much to handle even for the "guiding hands" of Shar

This one will definitely be challenging.
    edited May 2014
    Archaos said:

...Why isn't the Paladin here? WHY ISN'T THE PALADIN HERE?! *Goes Xzar on the OP*

Seriously though. The Paladin provides everything someone new to the series needs to survive.

-Able to wear all armor and shields
    -You don't need to get married to a weapon like the Fighter
    -You get +2 to saving throws right off the bat
    -The various kits provide different and permanent immunities
    -Carsormyr for Paladins (nuff said), Soul Reaper (is that it's name again?) for Blackguards
    -Spellcasting. Mainly, Draw Upon Holy Might for self-buffing
    -Lay on Hands. Free, instant healing for emergencies
    -Turn Undead
    -Bunch of other buffs for the party. Protection from Evil/Remove Fear etc

The Paladin is durable, powerful, can self-buff and self-heal, can use one of the most powerful weapons in the game and the saving throws/immunities/HP protect CHARNAME from an early Game Over.

Or just go Berserker and get another great class which has lots of HP and lots of immunities when he rages.

I would recommend the Sorcerer only to pros of the game, those that know most spells inside-out and how to use them effectively.

I forgot to add the Paladin, but I couldn't choose it anyway because I just finished the game with a Inquisitor. I won't disagree they are a great start for anyone.
    It looks like the Bard and Monk are leading with the thief hanging on. I like these possibilities, I haven't played any of these yet. I dropped a vote but ignore it. I just wanted to see the polls. I really enjoyed the video Kamigoroshi.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2014
    berserker. dual wield and destroy everything. cant be stopped. longswords and maces. Mace of disruption KOs everything undead.

or you could use a shield combined with the right gear\ (i did on my first play for BG2) you rarely will get hit, regardless of what anyone says. even into ToB.

go berserk and you can take on many fights alone with the right stuff
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Either a plain bard or a jester. use darts for your weapons. You can buy the one that deal 1d6 elemental damage at high hedge. Pretty cheep by casting friends on your self or since you have pick pocket you can just steel them.
    edited May 2014

Play a class you've never played before

That will help shorten the list. I haven't played Monks, Thiefs, Bards which is pretty funny (since they're winning the poll so far). Can monks kill dragons? Just wondering.
    edited May 2014

berserker. dual wield and destroy everything. cant be stopped. longswords and maces. Mace of disruption KOs everything undead.

or you could use a shield combined with the right gear\ (i did on my first play for BG2) you rarely will get hit, regardless of what anyone says. even into ToB.

go berserk and you can take on many fights alone with the right stuff

I used this class and dualed it with a cleric and carried a couple of warhammers that like making a fire giant's head go squish. It was a scene with improved haste.
    Post edited by Dreadnaught on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

Play a class you've never played before

That will help shorten the list. I haven't played Monks, Thiefs, Bards which is pretty funny (since they're winning the poll so far). Can monks kill dragons? Just wondering.
    Never actually played a monk in BG2 but I distinctly recall reading from other players over the years that it is possible to slay a dragon with Quivering Palm.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Even without quivering palm, just using their huge AC and damage they can slaughter any dragon.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited May 2014
    Go druid and choose avenger kit! This character rocks and parties hard! No need for multi or dual with an avenger player character!
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
    I've been following along this thread with a similar question. You guys have sold me on the avenger or the blade.

How does the avenger hold up in tob?