Skip to content

If you've never played BG:EE with SCS you are missing out! *SPOILERS*

So I've been playing through BG:EE with the intent on finally finishing it with a character to bring into BG2:EE. I installed the SCS mod (along with the BG1NPC and some BG2 Tweaks) to keep the game fresh and up the challenge a bit (though I rarely finish the game, I sure do play up until I get to the city a lot). I'd heard the mod was really good and added a level of challenge, and so far I'd seen that and enjoyed it, but the game was mostly the same. Well except the part where the bounty hunters ambush you at the most inconvenient times (great feature).

The kobold mine was a lot more fun than vanilla, and the chieftain fight was fun, but I'd done it before on a previous run, so I knew what to expect. Then I got to the bandit areas and that is when the fun really began. Bands of Blacktalon Elite, acting like elite archers... kiting my melee, taking pot shots at my squishies, I even resorted to downing a cold resist potion and making sure I passed around the resist boots to conserve healing potions. I had to make sure I kept melee in their faces as best I could and had to retreat my less armored party members more than a few times. I tried to sleep a few times to heal up... bad idea.

Then I run into the Red Wizards.. ah these guys are pushovers, just pound them one at a time with ranged while putting a few swords in their face to distract them right? Wrong, these guys were playing like a caster should, mirror image, protection from missiles, casting disabling spells, retreating when needed, summoning creatures.. well 3 reloads later I finally won that battle and still had to raise a party member. Excellent encounter.

Well now on to the bandit camp. I didn't pretend to join, because CHARNAME is a Cavalier and subterfuge just isn't his style. Besides, storming the bandit camp vs. pretending to join really isn't that different, all that changes is the order that wipe out the camp (tent first vs. outside first). AMIRIGHT?

Now this next part is in spoiler tags, because even though this is already labeled as having spoilers, I do not recommend reading this next part if you have never played with SCS and plan to. This encounter was very unique from my vanilla experience and the highlight of this play through so far. Had it been spoiled for me I don't think it would have had the same impact (both on level of challenge and delight).

Boy was I wrong! So we storm the camp and spot a lone bandit... poor sod, doesn't know what's going to hit him :) I knew that SCS was better about not allowing you to pick off lone enemies using LOS tricks, so I did expect anyone nearby to come running, but what are a few extra nobgoblins and loser bandits *nyahaha*. What I didnt' expect was for him to shout "SOUND THE ALARM". I proceeded to get mobbed by loser bandits, chill mercenaries and black talon elites. This wouldn't be too bad, except they have a fondness for pelting my back row instead of my melee fighters, but anyway a wand of fear and wand of sleep set things right and would easily turn the tide. Except that now the boss tent was emptying into the fray!!!!

This right here delighted me beyond measure and has prompted me to sing SCS praises on this forum. Bosses never do that, they always just wait in their designated spot waiting for you to come at them at your leisure and on your terms. They are supposed to quietly wait while you kill off all of their lackeys and then finally confront them all buffed/healed and ready to go. Wow this was getting awesome... and harder :)

After a hard fought battle, leaving one party member dead, most of them badly wounded and almost out of healing potions we finally won the battle, the remaining bandits were still feared or sleeping... except that a fresh wave of black talon elites, chill mercs and bandits came at us. Fear, sleep and some summons kept things in our favor but overall this was a battle very hard fought and won.

Now it was off to the temple to raise our dead and sell our loot. My group had actually gone through almost every buff potion as well, anything to give us an edge (usually I end the game with loads of potions). If the rest of the major encounters are anything like this one, this is shaping up to be the most fun I've had with BG since my first blind game. Thanks @DavidW for this great mod!

Comments

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I agree that the mod is fantastic and I had the same feelings about the bandit camp battle which was excellent
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited May 2014
    It did not occur to me to install SCS until I hit the sequel, but if it is anywhere as good with the original as it is with BG2:EE, I am definitely going to give it a try.

Great writeup, by the way. There can never be too many SCS-appreciation threads; like @Gotural said, the mod's fantastic.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    I've been meaning to try SCS for the first time, when I next have time for a run through... though I'm frightened, because it coincides with me also wanting to do a no-reload challenge, as well as RPing a 75 character with low intelligence, as well as taking this party:

Xzar
    Montaron
    Garrick
    Eldoth
    Skie

which seems a tall order, but it could be fun in a high pressure sort of way... I feel I'm just going to get killed by Silke though.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @dustbubsy‌ - That does seem a tall order hehe. I did a 75 no reload / no resurrection run and that was a blast. I failed the final battle. I can't imagine doing that + SCS blind, but your skill level is likely beyond mine.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I agree with you @SirK8‌, since I first played SCS it became a must have in all my games. I've tried other tactical mods and this is hands down the very best. The key about this mod is its original desing idea: making enemies smart using the same rules as the player, and DavidW has nailed it for sure. You should totally try BG2EE + SCS.
    @Dexter - Do you recommend BG2EE + SCS for my first run? I've only played the very beginning of BG2 a while back so it will mostly be a blind run.
    You should finish vanilla at least once and maybe install SCS afterwards when you are familiar with the game (spells, equipment...) There are so many quest to do and places to explore... The dynamics of SCS2 are very similar to SCS1, and if you liked it you'll like SCS2 for sure, but a blind SCS2 run might be a bit... hardcore. Wisdom is only possessed by the learned you know ;-)
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    Love the SCS mod but TOB is a PITA - mages take forever to kill, especially since they ALL timestop, improved alacrity, summon planetar... what a nightmare lol

Would not attempt this as a no-reload - don't think you could reliably survive chain Abi-Dalzim's ;)
    Post edited by Juris on
    Thanks @Dexter‌. I'm pretty excited to give BG2:EE a go. I"m hoping they patch it before I finish BG:EE, but either way I'll probably jump right in. I never played BG2 back in the day, but I did buy it recently on GOG when the EE's were first announced. I didn't get very far into it because it felt a bit overwhelming. I like the outdoor open BG1 areas and usually end up restarting once I hit the Gate. So BG2 felt like being thrown into the big city right from the beginning.

However, after reading a lot about SoA/ToB on this site, I'm wanting to give it another go. It just doesn't feel right though if I didn't first bring CHARNAME through the first one. I'm even doing the "canon" group since coincidentally that was my group during my very first run on the original CD version. I'm using the BG1NPC mod so Dynaheir's death in BG2 will be even more devastating to CHARNAME since I'm romancing her with the mod. This will be good because Imoen getting arrested seem like a very lame motivation for me to hunt down Irenicus, especially given the ridiculous amount of money you need to come up with to do so. So running with the canon group in BG1 and romancing Dynaheir should help that aspect for me immersion wise.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2014
    If I were to backstab and kill an enemy outright, do they still get to warn their mates? I appreciate that this mod plays by the rules (but haven't tried it yet) as I've found there can be some semantics involved with mods. Sometimes
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Contents of this mod that are labeled as "tactical challenges" are designed for powerbuilding party's with a players that often using metagame knowledge. It's against my policy, as when I play Baldur's Gate I tend to roleplay as much as possible, since that's how I enjoy this game. Therefore I don't think I'm missing out.

You know, I don't like to build my party for best effectiveness, exploit difficulty slider for max hp per level up, using items that are too OP... It's just not my thing.

Then again, there is nothing wrong with promoting a mod. I just think that's not for likes of me.
    To each their own. I will note however that aside from the core AI improvements, I believe all of the other components are optional, which would allow you to tailor it to your play style. Anyone who has played through the game a few times cannot help but to play with some measure of metagame knowledge, because you can and will inherently draw upon your experience. Of course I understand that you mean that you do not prepare for fights that you could not see coming, etc. but I doubt that many intentionally play sloppily or poorly once they are engaged in the battle.

I think the component that most lends itself to the use of metagame knowlege is the prebuffing of opponent casters, as this considerably increases the challenge of those encounters IMO. However, even that (optional) component has several options that vary in their implementation. One thing I do like about this option though is it teaches you the value of scouting ahead with a thief or otherwise invisible character, so that you can plan things to a degree in a non meta fashion.

What I found especially refreshing was that in the case of the bandit camp, my meta knowledge actually in a way worked against me, as I did not strategize my approach. So in fact that encounter was blind and I still triumphed, though at great cost and difficulty. This breathes new life into a game that I am quite familiar with, especially in the earlier chapters.

The option to have the bounty hunters waylay you at a random time, rather than wait around picking at their a...rmor was also a very welcome addition to the game and presented me with a unique challenge.

Of course I will not try to convince you one way or another, I believe this game should be played the way each individual finds enjoyable. I will give you my opinion though that the game with this mod installed could be played in the manner that you described (which may depend on the components installed). I also intended with this post to share my most gratifying experience so far so that others who may have been eyeing this mod or are otherwise interested might enjoy it as well.

I stand by the discussion title "If you've never played BG:EE with SCS you are missing out!" Just whether or not someone cares about what they are missing out on is up to them :)

@Chippy - I don't know the answer to that, as this is my first run with SCS so I haven't tried that approach.
    @Blackraven
    It's ok, you're free to encourage me. And I agree that some components might actually add to immersion, but at the same time I don't want to have every mage and priest pre-buffing before the fight, I don't want some random spiders at cloakwood using the Web spell randomly and such. Some components are much like "cheap difficult", and some have absolutely no sense.

Not that I even could use SCS, even if I wanted to, since SCS and SCS2 were uncombatible with my old versions of Baldur's Gate games for some reasons.

As for BG:EE, I have a break from playing it until certain issue is being resolved. To bad that AndreaColombo consequently ingores my questions regarding this matter.
    edited May 2014

Contents of this mod that are labeled as "tactical challenges" are designed for powerbuilding party's with a players that often using metagame knowledge. It's against my policy, as when I play Baldur's Gate I tend to roleplay as much as possible, since that's how I enjoy this game. Therefore I don't think I'm missing out.

You know, I don't like to build my party for best effectiveness, exploit difficulty slider for max hp per level up, using items that are too OP... It's just not my thing.

Then again, there is nothing wrong with promoting a mod. I just think that's not for likes of me.

I disagree, SCS is about increasing the AI of the game, not the pure power of the enemies, which means it was designated for non powergaming party.

As both a powergamer and a roleplayer, I can tell you in my BG2:EE SCS game, I'm roleplaying heavily my evil party (I'm playing a Blackguard, not some F/M or F/I). And I don't need to prebuff like mad or anything, the only "prebuff" I do is Stoneskin (12 hours) Animate Dead (8 hours) And Prot from Evil 10 radius (2 turns / levels) and I don't cheese, it's only about playing the game smartly which even makes sense RP-wise.

SCS is all about these moments where your level 12 party randomly encounter a Lich (which makes sence, why would I need to reach the level 18 to randomly encounter them ?) able to cast the Dragon Breath HLA, the head of the dragon appears above Edwin and Viconia, ready to kill them instantly, and your Charname shoots "WATCHOUT" while using a Potion of Icedust and saves the day.

To me, roleplaying is playing the game as if it was real, and I'm sure if Baldur's Gate was real the enemies would act closer to their SCS versions than their vanilla versions thus I support @Blackraven‌ when he says that RP and SCS don't necessarily exclude each other.
    Post edited by Gotural on
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    It should be added, that SCS does a neat job with mod compatability. For example if you are playing the excellent Spell Revisions (current version is a little bit wonky with EE though - shameless hint @CrevsDaak ), the SCS will adapt the Revision changes into it's spellcasters ai!
    @Gotural
    If getting random encounter with a Lich all of sudden (by the way, it surely makes perfectly sense and is utterly immersive :p ) or Clockwood spiders using web spell at whim (same here) is not something that's beyond improving AI, then I don't know what is.

If SCS was only about increasing AI of enemies, then it will be alright with me. But we know it isn't.
    You can monitor all of theses things during the installation of the mod but most of the time, it is closer to PnP.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    SCS is also modular, so you can pick and choose the components you want. It's brilliant and imho the best mod out there.
    @ZelgadisGW‌, forgive me for the rant, but how is fighting some dumb spiders by just sending ahead you fighter with the lower AC more immersive? How is that roleplaying? To my mind roleplaying is "ok, had no idea about this creepy wood and that scary spiders, we better go back to FAI and buy some potions of freedom and antidotes".

Don't get me wrong, I totally undestand that you don't like SCS, it's perfectly ok, I just think that you can roleplay SCS same way you can roleplay vanilla.

Indeed, some components of SCS make the game very very difficult. But the mod try to fit different types of player. That's why every single componet is optional. Nonetheless some components are just gold:

- "improved general IA", which basically teaches enemies to change target (archers fire arrows to your spellcasters, etc)
    - "better calls for help", which wipes out the old "fighting one at a time cheese"

Such a game would not have web throwing spiders nor lich random encounters, only more realistic enemies.
    How? It's very simple. I don't remember in any fantasy media I saw giant spiders having an abillity to shoot a massive ammount of web that can immobilize everything within at least 6 meters radius on a whim. Sorry, does not compute. Also, I think that party of adventurers would rather keep some antidote potions with them at all times (since spiders and co. are poisonus) instead or backtracking to the nearest settlement to buy some potions of freedom (because of strange web magic that shouldn't exist), wasting days of time that is so crucial to solving the Iron Crisis and preventing the war against Amn...

I recall quest pack having a component for improving just base AI, there is no need for SCS to achieve that. Mods like Quest Pack have AI improvements as components. I think SCS is worth using if you want something more than just improvement of AI.

Maybe I'll end just here. I don't want to argue with anyone. Now, excuse me.
    Just something, when I talked about the random lichs encounter, I meant that in the vanilla game, you CAN randomly encounter lichs, but only if you're above a certain amount of xp (something like 2M+) which isn't immersive, monsters aren't supposed to wait for you to be level 20 to fight you.

SCS allow you to break this system and to put the better enemies directly against. That's all I wanted to point out, I agree that randomly fighting Lichs make little sense anyway.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2014
    Gotural said:

Just something, when I talked about the random lichs encounter, I meant that in the vanilla game, you CAN randomly encounter lichs, but only if you're above a certain amount of xp (something like 2M+) which isn't immersive, monsters aren't supposed to wait for you to be level 20 to fight you.

SCS allow you to break this system and to put the better enemies directly against. That's all I wanted to point out, I agree that randomly fighting Lichs make little sense anyway.

There is an option that allows every single spawn to be at maximum but not Liches, they will only show up in places where they make sense (Unseing Eye's Undead Catacombs, Spellhold) to appear.
    @lunar‌ - funny you mention that, the party recently did. Wow that fight was hard, so many times I thought it was almost over. I lost 2 party members in the fight, but at least did not have to reload. Now I desperately need to get BG City unlocked cause the sword coast is running low on healing potions. The party has just entered the Cloakwood Mines, so we're getting close.

It's funny how even this far into the game, you sometimes think "ah this fight should be a pushover" I mean how much damage can a single caster do against my mighty party of six anyway? I'm hoping the Ogre Mage in the Cloakwood Mines goes down a bit easier.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    As long as mages stop their idiotic "I casts da lightningses in da tiny rooms and corridors... OH NOESSS1!!1! Teh bolt done did killeds me too!! Who could predicticate that with only high intelligents".

Cuz everytime a near genius fries himself like a noob bhaal cries another tear. And we have enough trials. I think i should try scs. Think of the child- erm, mages! Think of the mages!