Skip to content

My blade has the katana proficiency, but no benefits!

My modified thac0 is 17, the only weapon I'm proficient with is the katana. When I equip it, I receive a +3 PENALTY to hit! It's a bug, and it's ruining my life! Please help Valdric be the 97 point rolled killed machine he was born to be.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Please post a copy of your save file. Are you running any mods?
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I'm not running any mods. I tried posting the save file but it's too big, and I tried attaching it but the upload failed because the file type is not allowed. Any ideas?
    throw it in a rar file
    From the sounds of things though if you are getting a +3 penalty that means the game isn't recognising that you have proficiency with the weapon.
    I agree, it must be a bug of some kind. Is there anything that can be done? I'm having a fair amount of difficulty converting the file on my mac, tried a free program but it couldn't convert the .SAV file.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    zip the whole 0000000 folder. use right click->compress 00000 folder.
    edited May 2014
    Ohh you shouldn't have to convert anything. Just use winrar (should work for macs). Select the files you want to put into a rar file that you create and then you should be able to drag and move them into that rar file.
    That was easy as goblin pie.
    Yea its looking like all your proficiencies are gone. Not sure why but I've gotten a similar bug before. You can edit this with EEKeeper yourself or if you'd like you can tell me what you want (both weapon and weapon style proficiency) and I can edit it and post the fixed save game here.
    Ok, thanks for figuring that out. If I restart the game from the beginning with that same character, will the bug reappear? I'd like a permanent solution, because I'm trying to do a hardcore run and I might fail and have to try all over again.
    because, Luck...
    not so lucky now...
    yeah!
    edited May 2014
    I think its attached to your character file and it will stay.

Edit: I just confirmed that it will stay.

Did by any chance you ever cast "Luck" on your character? That is one of the things I know that will do this.

The fix for luck can be found below. Just throw that spl file into your override folder.

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/e1/0ccf94fa066747ef2817286cdaadde.rar
    Ok, well. When I begin the proficiencies are there to start with. Maybe it wont come back? Haven't tried EEKeeper, don't particularly want to either. I'll start over, if I catch it again I'll look into it.
    Sorry I didn't edit fast enough hehe. Did you by any chance ever use the luck spell on the character? If so there is a fix whose link I posted above that will at least address that issue (using luck will remove a characters proficiencies). It won't fix character files that have already been affected though.
    I did!! Oh the cruel irony. :) I will apply that fix and start over.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Who wouldve thought that the luck spell has the opposite effect of getting to hit penalty? Must be the caster with low wisdom.
    It's a 7, good thing it wasn't a wish spell!.

Turns out I did not have an override folder, so I created one and plopped it in there. SHould be good right?
    Lateralus said:

SHould be good right?

Yes if you created it in the same directory as the CHITIN.KEY.
    Yea for macs make sure you throw it in the folder that has CHITIN.KEY like CrevsDaak wrote. It may require a fair bit of digging to get to it. Its probably also possible to search for that particular file and then identify the folder its in. Unfortunately my mac at the moment has no power so I can't walk you through the location.
    edited May 2014
    I created it in the same place as the "characters" and "save" folders. Is that were it should go, or in that 00777 folder? I got a mac file system.

EDIT ok thanks elminster, I'll dig around for it. Searches came up empty.
    Yea it has something to do with the 00777 folder. That is the right direction anyways.
    edited May 2014
    This looks about right to me

"In Finder, go to Applications/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/ Right click on "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" and select "Show Package Contents." Go to Contents/Resources. The Override folder will be there, along with the game data."

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16334/installing-mods-in-osx-a-quick-tutorial/p1

If you don't have an override folder there then that is where it goes.
    edited May 2014
    Ninja'd by Elminster :)
    Ohh sorry I didn't realize there was a luck folder involved :)