Skip to content

Best way to play a thief?

DamorathDamorath Member Posts: 2
I've played through the original games many times, but always end up playing as fighter, paladin, wizard or a combination of these three.
For EE I want to try out something new. I'm going with a thief, probably focusing on backstabbing and keeping an npc around for finding traps and stuff. But how should I go about this? Ideally I'd like to play something like kensai dualed to thief once BG2:EE arrives. That would just be me playing another fighter in BG:EE though. any ideas for fun combinations? How much will I gimp myself if I decide to multiclass from the beginning instead? And is fighter always the best class to dual from or multi with?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Fighter is not always the best combination to dual-class or multi-class, no. For instance, a fighter can't naturally get to 25 strength aside from potion drinking (which will get you as far as 24) and weapon using (which means ONE in the entire game, and it's in the second one), that's why I always considered Cleric/Thieves better for stabbing purposes (it's technically possible to one-hit-kill Sarevok in BG1 with a Cleric/Thief)

It's really up to you and how you want to role play. You might as well go with an Assassin kit to spice things up with stabbing.

My favorite thief kit is in fact the Swashie, but that has NO backstabs, so I guess that's a no-no.

Bounty hunters could be useful but you'd have to put extra points on setting snares, otherwise no bonus gained from them.

Finally, dual classes - Kensai (9 or 13) > Thief is awesome enough to make you laugh throughout the game, but that would mean no thief in BG1 (we don't know the cap yet, true). Priest of (NAME) (9) > Thief is also a great stabber.

Ultimately, the best in-game stabber is in fact Assassin (24) > Cleric. But that's a HARD class to develop.

Mage/Thief can also spice things up as a multi-class. some nice spells can make you stab better too!

Berserker (9 or 13) > Thief also gets some nasty bonuses truly.

So yeah, it's pretty much on what you'd like to play the most. I guess a straight away thief or kitted thief can be a good idea for starts. If you have played multies or dual classes several times now, consider planning those too! :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It depends a bit on what you're after. Fighters indeed tend to be popular combo choices as they provide useful advantages that other classes lack - and as many of their advantages come abumdantly during the first 10 levels, they're well suited for dualing from as opposed to caster classes.

Anyway, a fighter/thief dualed at level 7 is viable in a BG+TotSC playthrough, and will work well to continue in BG2, the main drawback being the weak period spent in the dual zone. You also won't get all the benefits of the fighter levels at 7 - some would argue 9 or 13 is a better place to dual with a kensai in mind (at 13 you get all the warrior attack increases and benefit more from their frequent proficiency points), but that would indeed mean spending all of BG1 as a fighter. I prefer level 7 myself as I always play through the games as a trilogy.
    If you really want to optimize this kind of build it also involves saving up the thief levels (ie, dualling and then not leveling up until you have enough exp to hit fighterlevel+1), which allows you to place the proficiency points after getting your warrior proficiencies back.

As for a fighter/thief multi, it's quite a well-balanced multiclass. The main drawbacks are no weapon mastery access (can be changed with a mod), less HP and the backstab multiplier increasing more slowly, but on the other hand you won't have to go through a period of weakness where your party needs to protect you, and you'll get access to two HLA tables eventually. As multiclasses get HLA:s earlier, you won't have to wait any longer for the kensai+Use Any Item combo which is the main power increase for this class setup.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @chickenhed : I know they are super powerful. In BG1 they might pull off an instant Drizzt kill for example :)

Thanks for the link though, much appreciated, definitely didn't know about the snare secrets :)
  • DamorathDamorath Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the fast answers! I've got decent knowledge about when to dualclass, as I already played a Kensai/mage starting out in the second game, and did my research for that pretty thoroughly - but thanks still!

What I really want to know is if there are any combinations that are on par with the Kensai/thief dualled for backstabbing? Perhaps some kind of multiclass? Cleric/thief or mage/thief maybe? How much will I really be giving up? The Illusionist/thief especially sounds interesting. Or how about playing BG:EE as a some kind of a thief, and then dualing to something else once I get into the second game?
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    If you are going to run at thief you should be doing your own trap detecting and not wasting a slot with someone else to do it too....basically in BG you need to use every character slot well. Thief, 2x Fighters, 2x casters and a Cleric/ is usualy going to be your best group of course you can mix it up a bit with multi classing but in BG1 you dont really get high enough level to maximize the benefits of multi-class. In my Opinion.

oops just read the last...ignore everything I said :D
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Thieves are actually tremendous fun. No matter what your thief, make sure you develop Find/Remove Traps (1st priority). You can also develop Open Locks (2nd priority, as the Knock spell is found early). You should also have proficiency in one missile weapon (Dart or Short Bow) and one melee weapon. For the melee weapon, I recommend short sword (as there are many great varieties of these). BG:EE may add a few great katanas and scimitars, but for now I know for sure there are great shortswords.

Thieves come in three forms:
    1. Dual wield: Swashbuckler kit. First get proficiency in a sword and then go for two-weapon style. Avoid stealth - you can't backstab anyway. You can also avoid bows if you want. Develop Set Traps as an off skill. Dual wield starts off mediocre but quickly becomes awesome around level 8. You will need high STR/DEX/CON as you'll be in melee all the time.

2. Stealth/Backstab: Go true class, Bounty Hunter, or Assassin. Develop Move Silently/Hide in Shadows slightly and supplement that with items which increase stealth. Stock up on invisibility potions. Basically, in any big battle, be concealed at all times. Go for the casters first. High STR/DEX/CON are again a must.

3. Set Traps/Use Arrows: Great for all Thief kits, best for Bounty Hunter. Powerful & fun strategy. Set traps and lure enemies into them. The traps do insane damage and penetrate multiple resistances. Setting traps before resting is a surefire way to protect yourself from surprises....and a great way to power level. Only High DEX/CON are required - you're unlikely to be in melee.

You'll want DEX 18 and CON 16 for all builds. If you're planning a dual class, you'll need a 17 in an off stat (like WIS, STR, or INT). Be careful about dual-classing to cleric: edged weapons become inaccessible!
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    i allways go pure with thief kits, multi is allways illusionist/thief. dual is better for kensai/Mage or berserker/cleric. Side note bards(Blade) rules but thars just me everyone has own favourites.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Without reading the other replies - I'd recommend to just go with fighter/thief multiclass.

For one thing you won't need to spend a whole game as a fighter when you actually, in the first place, wanted to be a thief (when dualing) and after that waiting for the POSSIBLE BG 2:EE for who knows how long.

Secondly you won't be as weak in combat as pure class thieves tend to be. You will have a lot more flexibility with weapons, just remember you can only backstab with the ones that a thief can use.

Thirdly you will eventually get the HLAs for both classes. This, imo, makes the multiclass superior to any dual class combinations.

With all that said, the thief kits are all worthwhile, but kind of limited. And from a pure power perspective, thief/mage is the most powerful, after fighter/thief. And if you're feeling kinky you could pull a Tiax and be a cleric/thief.
    What's an HLA?
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    Thieves are the reason I play 3rd Ed table top. I like a smart thief over a quick one.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106

What's an HLA?

High Level Ability. The stuff you get in ToB at epic levels.

DoH! Thanks @Malbortus Been a while since Ive even looked at the game.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited August 2012
    All thief multi-class and kits are great imo. Dual class is a different matter though, and I would recommend either fighter/thief, or thief/mage only, as some have suggested. As you might imagine, I love the multiclass fighter/mage/thief. ;) It allows you to use warrior-only giant strength potions to get massive strength for tough enemies (very epic backstab damage from this, not to mention a major boost to thaco for hit chance), use mage-only scrolls and wands (fireballs, lightning bolts, paralysis, fear, etc.--launch, run, and stealth), and use invisibility scrolls, invisibility potions, and eventually invisibility spells in addition to stealth to make numerous backstab attacks (this method makes even Sarevok effortless if you use a potion of storm giant strength to set your strength to 24). The stealth is a lot of fun for scouting, and you can stock a lot of special arrows for certain situations too (dispelling, slaying, detonation--shoot, run, and stealth). There's a lot of versatility. You'll also get some HLAs late in ToB I believe, so might still get whirlwind. I'm not sure if the F/M/T can get assassinate, but with improved haste, that would be pretty powerful (7 to 10 attacks with deadly accuracy). A really fun character that I had a great time soloing BG 1 with. With stealth, you can choose your battles wisely too, so it's great for soloing.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Shin said:

Anyway, a fighter/thief dualed at level 7 is viable in a BG+TotSC playthrough, and will work well to continue in BG2, the main drawback being the weak period spent in the dual zone.

If you don't mind playing everything you've done over again, you can always export\import and start again. Probably cheating for a lot of people though.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I love me a good Mage/Thief.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I'd love to be able to Backstab with magic as a Mage\Thief. Imagine sneaking up behind someone, and setting off a Lightning bolt.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I agree with Suiboon on fighter/thief multis. Lets you play as a thief all the way through without needing a second NPC to find traps, can frontline decently or stick to ranged and doesn't have the downtime of dual classing. The dual HLAs are a nice touch in the long run too, as thieves are a bit gimped with assassination - lots of stuff is immune to backstab. Getting Greater whirlwind attack offsets this.

For a non-backstabber I'm partial to swashbucklers. Their THAC0 & AC bonuses really mount up over time, and they progress really fast as a pure class. They miss out on HP and number of attacks to an extent but their THAC0 is often better than a similar XP fighter. They also get whirlwind attack as an HLA, but not greater.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Corvino said:

I agree with Suiboon on fighter/thief multis. Lets you play as a thief all the way through without needing a second NPC to find traps, can frontline decently or stick to ranged and doesn't have the downtime of dual classing. The dual HLAs are a nice touch in the long run too, as thieves are a bit gimped with assassination - lots of stuff is immune to backstab. Getting Greater whirlwind attack offsets this.

For a non-backstabber I'm partial to swashbucklers. Their THAC0 & AC bonuses really mount up over time, and they progress really fast as a pure class. They miss out on HP and number of attacks to an extent but their THAC0 is often better than a similar XP fighter. They also get whirlwind attack as an HLA, but not greater.

I haven't gone farther than I'd say level 14 or so with one, but I assume like other thieves they get the time stop trap, which would be pretty useful against most enemies.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I wouldn't claim this to be the "best way to play a thief", but the thief in my party is almost always an Elven Fighter/Thief, specializing in bows. I do not use stealth or pickpockets, which leaves huge skill bonuses to detecting/disarming traps and opening locks. Very effective, but not very "rogue-like".
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    A dwarven fighter/thief has better saving throws and more HP. He can go right into the battle. You can't use 'detect illusion' if you are too far away. Elves are IMHO too fragile to utilize it to its whole potential. Hard challenges can be easily overcome with potions. The vendor in the temple disctrict sewers has some very nice potions (potions of heroism, potions of invulnerability, etc.).
    It's quite an effort to scout and change armor and fight etc. - so I only recommend it for small groups (or MP).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

A dwarven fighter/thief has better saving throws and more HP. He can go right into the battle. You can't use 'detect illusion' if you are too far away. Elves are IMHO too fragile to utilize it to its whole potential. Hard challenges can be easily overcome with potions. The vendor in the temple disctrict sewers has some very nice potions (potions of heroism, potions of invulnerability, etc.).
    It's quite an effort to scout and change armor and fight etc. - so I only recommend it for small groups (or MP).

I solo'd BG1 with a dwarven Fighter/Thief. It was actually relatively easy.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SeriousMike

That is true about Dwarves having better saving throws and more HP, but elves give you +1 Thaco to Bows and Longswords at the start of the game which can be huge. Especially if your Fighter/Thief is primarily ranged weapon user. While the Archer kit would be better for damage at that point yes, the Fighter/Thief allows you to put points into find traps and pick locks rather than stealth.
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    Great thread! I have soaked a lot of things to try:)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited August 2012
    IIRC Elves get +1 THAC0 to all swords and bows in BG 1&2 as opposed to PnP where it's just longbows and longswords. It does make them an attractive option, especially early in the game where +1 and the dex missile bonus really counts.

Entirely agreed on nigh-invulverable dwarves though. Those litttle feckers are tough.