Skip to content

Ulgoth's Beard, Demon Knight, and Helm of Opposite Alignment...

Hell, it's fantastic, how after 10 whole, and over than 10, years, i keep bumping into new stuff, in an old game, that i NEVER knew, or had even the faintest idea that they merely existed... The thing is, "Helm of Opposite Alignment". In BG1, i play with a full party of self-created powermongers, so eliminating the Demon Knight during first encounter, just to get this fabulous prize, will be far more easy and quick, than killing Drizzt and Shandalar (yea, i did that... again...), during their first encounter and before even triggering any of their affiliated quests.

So, if i understand correctly, i have to go to the starting map, meet IKE, take his tour, and do my stuff on the D.Knight, the very second he appears? And when i kill him, he drops the helm?

Wow, now i am hyped! This little, charming item, is going to be transferred to BG2. Where, my main is a Beastmaster/Cleric. Will try to get most cleric spells by levelling up naturally (good, due to alignment), then use the helm, change alignment, and level up again, until i get them all. This way, i might finally do my desired thing, which is, to get all cleric spells, on a cleric ranger (normally, you are prohibited from getting unholy word and unholy blight, thanks to alignment). And tears of Bhaal, even if they turn you evil, still, do not help you in getting the evil spells, even after levelling up correctly afterwards. Will try and see...

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Yes, you need to attack the Demon Knight when he appears during Ike's tour. If I'm not mistaken he disappears if you don't kill him quick enough which can be tricky even with a powerful party. The only time, or maybe two, that I managed to kill him (I wanted the helmet for Viconia) was by using the Wand of Paralyzation and then pounding him to death.

By the way I'm not sure whether your plan to get all priest spells with the helmet would work...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014

Wow, now i am hyped! This little, charming item, is going to be transferred to BG2.

You can console it in but I don't think it transfers.

Edit: Having read your recent post I'm assuming you imported a character via multiplayer. In any case nevermind.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    CrevsDaak said:

Now in the EE he really drops the helmet on the last level and he can't be killed in the first one.

This is correct.

In the original version, the helm was basically an Easter egg for anyone who managed to kill the knight when he first appeared.

During one of the EE patches, the game was altered so that the helm drops at any time in which you kill the knight.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    elminster said:

Wow, now i am hyped! This little, charming item, is going to be transferred to BG2.

You can console it in but I don't think it transfers.

Edit: Having read your recent post I'm assuming you imported a character via multiplayer. In any case nevermind.
    No, i never console or edit things. I only do natural, game cheese, glitches and exploits.

That aside, i was talking about the original games. There, with the black screen pause trick, you can transfer anything you carry and want to. Even in single. But yes, in multiplayer, there is an advanced trick, that i bet even in EEs should work:

You begin a new multiplayer game with a freshly created character, after first game autosave, you load that autosave, delete the existing characters it features, and import your previously exported characters with all their equipment. Then quick/normal save.

Yes, you assumed correct! Multiplayer mode works loads of wonders! Also, in the originals, you can convert the multi save to single, and vice versa, as per your needs.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    You can do all of that in EE too, except the black screen pause exploit has been fixed.