Skip to content

What class/gear would you use for a Valkyrie character? (with RP not powergaming emphasis)

So! I've really been wanting to start a new character based on a classic norse valkyrie. But for the life of me I can't decide on a fitting class. I'd be planning to start in bg1 and run all the way through to ToB... but...

Paladins just seem a bit too.. knightly? A bit too 'ye old english'. But other than that I guess they fit. What's the order of the radiant heart like in BG2? I've never had a pally before so I've no idea, is it very.. knight-ish?

A Barbarian sounds good too, but then aren't they a little too, um, barbaric? I can't much imagine a valkyrie going in to 'rage' every battle.

A Cleric? They're a bit too casterly. Maybe a cleric of helm? Maybe a fighter/cleric?

I was thinking of going with northern/valkyrie themed gear. So stuff like Boots of the North, Runehammer etc. (I can't think of any more off the top of my head.. maybe white dragon plate?) Although if there's a nice spear with an in game description that I could fit in to a Valkyrie, that would be nice ^^ I don't mind if the gear isn't the best, as long as it's half-playable.

So what would you do!? I'm going through a million things in my head and not getting anywhere, it would be good to hear somebody elses point of view =)
Dungeonnoob

Comments

• UncumberUncumber Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2014
    I knew I left one of them out of the list! Skald would be perfect but aren't they kind of unplayable as a main protagonist? Especially as I like small parties... - I mean, wouldn't ALL I be doing is stand around using bard song?

edit: and after the heroic bard song, isn't the Skald one rendered useless? I thought I heard that.. it just doesn't sound like a fun class to play. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!
    Blackraven
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited May 2014
    Joke. no offense taken, I hope. seems obvious to me though. They are describes as "Nordic warriors of great renown" or some such, and what better fitting for a the namesake of one of the most famous and inspiring songs ever than a bard?

Edit: Oh, ninja'd
    No absolutely their description sounds completely spot on! And I know I said 'emphasis on RP' - but the Skald just seems so far from a fun class as the main to run the series with, I'm finding it difficult to choose it >.<

iiiif anybody has had a blast playing a Skald proagonist properly it would be great to hear.
    No, they have a +1 to hit and damage, and bard can tank in bg2 cause spellcasting. And you won't be using bard song all the time. Do you intend to use a small party?
    @jackjack‌ you're the first person who comes to mind. Ever played a skald?
    jackjack
    I usually end up with a fairly small party yes, between two and four (including myself), I don't remember the last time I played with five.

Mm the ability to tank a bit does sound tempting though. I'm going to try and read up on Skalds now ^^
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2014
    meagloth said:

@jackjack‌ you're the first person who comes to mind. Ever played a skald?

I actually have not run one yet
    D:
    It's my Everest.
    Edit: They always seemed best used passively, which I suppose turned me off from them initially. But really, they function as an upgraded Vanilla Bard, in battle. Given that I would much rather play a Jester than a kitless Bard, perhaps a Skald could draw me back to my roots…
    Though I would, of course, have to make him a Dwarf.
    Named Stonebeard.
    Fond of heavy crossbows and axes.
    *Scribbles down character concept*
    meaglothBlackravenJuliusBorisovRavenslight
    Ahh Blackraven thank you so much for your detailed reply, that gave me a lot to ponder over =) for example I really did not know you could multi a barbarian using a savegame editor! The problem I'm having with a Skald though is really what SionIV has said - I think it will just irk me that my main won't, mm, 'feel like' my main, she won't be doing the most damage or killing the most foes, she won't be casting mad spells around the battlefield, rather she'll just help her allies do it. Whilst that DOES sound good for a character, I just don't feel it'd be right for my protagonist.

However, I really do appreciate your reply - a Skald would be so fitting if not for the gameplay aspect!

I think I'm going to end up rolling a barbarian/cleric as you mentioned, that does sound fitting and also sounds like quite a powerhouse! I'm contemplating a mage focusing on cold/icey/shock spells too but I'm not sure there's quite enough of those spells, so that's something to look up. Though yeah, I think I'll end up with a multi barbarian anyway!

Thanks so much for the replies though guys, it has actually been very helpful in coming to a decision =)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Uncumber, you're most welcome :)
    I understand your point: I also had difficlty getting used to the fact that my Skald isn't the main bad*ss on the battlefield. I'm starting to see my protagonist now more as a 'field general' rather than a 'champion'. (I've even considered raising his WIS via EEKeeper and lowering another stat accordingly although the tomes will also help). But I agree that a Valkyrie should be a champion on the battlefield. Valkyries were chosen to put their lives in the balance on the battlefield after all.

You'll probably have a blast with a Barbarian/Cleric, never tried one but they're high on my to-roll list. I'm wondering which race you would play for a Barbarian/Cleric.

As to Cold/Elecricity spells for a Mage, there are a few nice ones at the lower/intermediate spell levels, but maybe not enough to turn your Valykyrie into a harbinger of (cold/electric) elemental destruction.

Ah re: items you asked about in your first post: it would be awesome if you found and used the (Silver/Bronze/Iron) Horn of Walhalla. That item seems made for your character. Wow congratulation on your concept. I'm really starting to dig your Valkyrie.
    jackjack
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Valkyrie, huh? Easy! BERSERKER! Valkyries, in norse lore, were the female equivalant of male warriors, especially their elite cast, the berserkers! Hmmm, valkyries, if memory serves me right, were something like maidens serving ale and food to the slain heroes who died fighting, even *fanservice* (other sources incite)... They were also spiritual in nature.

So a female human, berserker dual to cleric, of neutral alignment, would be really good. Weapon of choice, for roleplaying, warhammer, would be good, because it's thor's favorite one (one of the most popular norse gods). You can also pick a flail/morning star for second weapon, and dual wield, even max your single and sword and shield, getting all combos thusly. Points are enough for grandmasterying 2 weapons of choice.
    Blackraven
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2014
    I've seen so many versions of Valkyries in RPGs, making it really confusing.

For example, in the Valkyrie Profile games they are depicted as holy warriors. So Paladin is fitting.
    I think the most fitting of all is a Fighter/Cleric or as @Demonoid_Limewire said, Berserker/Cleric. Chaotic Neutral.

I would make a Female Chaotic Neutral Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric and give her wings with a mod or EEKeeper perhaps.

By the way, though. There's a Valkyrie creature in 3E Deities and Demigods. She's a level 20 Paladin. So for BG, I would say Cavalier.

ADnD 1E has them as Chaotic Neutral Fighter/Bards, I think. So Skalds perhaps.

Pathfinder has them as Chaotic Neutral creatures with spears. No class.

Tome of Battle 3.5E also has them as Chaotic Neutral. No class but they have stances.

EDIT: Removed the picture as it serves no point. It's one version of many.
    Demonoid_Limewire
    According to Wikipedia, Valkyries are female spiritual being that decide who dies in a battle.
    jackjack
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    meagloth said:

According to Wikipedia, Valkyries are female spiritual being that decide who dies in a battle.

Yeah. But they were renowned as pretty able, female warriors, too. So, if you do the maths: Norse Warrior (=Berserker) + spiritual being (=cleric), there you are... ;) And, clerics have power over death (revive the fallen, or symbol death).

Blackravenjackjack
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited May 2014
    You could make a Barbarian, reach level 3,5,7 or 9 with him/her and then dual class to a cleric. Would have the northern part in it and would be a bit like the shamans in IWD HoW.

BG2Tweaks has a component that lets you dual class Barbarians.
    Post edited by SionIV on
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Bards (and therefore Skalds) are actually pretty effective casters in BG1... Because they level up so much quicker, any spells which scale well (damage/level, etc) will be better than the equivalent spell cast by a Mage or Sorcerer.
    (Once you get to mid-game BG2, this advantage does become nullified.)

Bards are really fun, but if you want a more powerhouse protagonist, start a multiplayer game and create a Barbarian (or Barb-Cleric) as player 1, with a Skald as player 2... You can then move the save data into the single player folder and have your hulking barbarian travel with their own personal chronicler/squire/aide!
    JuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    abacus said:

Bards (and therefore Skalds) are actually pretty effective casters in BG1... Because they level up so much quicker, any spells which scale well (damage/level, etc) will be better than the equivalent spell cast by a Mage or Sorcerer.

Bards are really fun, but if you want a more powerhouse protagonist, start a multiplayer game and create a Barbarian (or Barb-Cleric) as player 1, with a Skald as player 2... You can then move the save data into the single player folder and have your hulking barbarian travel with their own personal chronicler/squire/aide!

I fully agree with your point about bards and spell level, but it's at its strongest mid-game BG2. It's first end game and at ToB (unless you're playing solo) that the mage evens out.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    SionIV said:

abacus said:

I fully agree with your point about bards and spell level, but it's at its strongest mid-game BG2. It's first end game and at ToB (unless you're playing solo) that the mage evens out.
    Ok... Mid/late... Whatever :P
    My Bards are usually Blades, so by that point they've switched to becoming mincing machines.
    SionIV
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'd use a vanilla Fighter, I've made a run with a Fallen Valkyrie (named Valhalla). From a personal lore-accurate point of view, I think Valkyries are Neutral, evil, good or true, since I don't think that they would be either chaotic or lawful, they could be lawful, like in NetHack.
    For weapons I recommend picking long sword, spears and maybe shields, from a RP point of view of course (and both longswords and spears are great in a PG way too!).
    I made a Valkyrie kit mod but it seems that there isn't a way to prevent males from choosing the kit, so I haven't worked on it anymore.
    meagloth said:

They decide, from those that die in battle who goes to Valhalla and who remains to be buried in the Hella (was it written that way?). They are divine female warriors and servants of Wotan (Odin), born human and later raised as fighters.
    My other idea was again a Fallen Valkyrie, but as Blackguard with WINGS06 :D
    For companions, I've chosen from a mixed RP-PG point of view, while I played solo in BG1.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    I would say a human woman paladin of the red knight. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Knight
    Valkerys are normally pictured wield either a spear and shield or sword and shield. rarely with just a spear. spear and shield how ever is not possible in BG so you might be best off with long sword and shield.
    BlackravenjackjackJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited May 2014
    Would a ranger fit with a valkyrie persona? Rangers have a certain connection with nature, like barbarians, but without coming off as, well, barbaric. And according to their in-game descriptions, they serve to guide and protect lost travelers.
    BlackravenSionIVDungeonnoob
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    My impression of valkyries (perhaps more influenced by Wagnerian opera than Norse myth) is that they're more warrior than priest. Therefore it'd seem natural to me to build a valkyrie starting as a Cleric for just a few levels to gain access to some buffs, and then dual-class to a Fighter as her main career. (Or ideally, dual into Berserker, if you're prepared to use an editor to kit the second class.) I guess Cleric(4) -> Fighter would feel about right to me ... but YMMV.
    BlackravenDungeonnoobCrevsDaakjackjack