Skip to content

New to D&D

Hey there Baldur's Gate players. I have tried to play Throne of Bhaal several times after I noticed what high praise it received from Game Informer. Each time I have become overwhelmed and disinterested quickly. This time, I am starting with Shadows of Amn, and have atleast finished the first chapter, which is a start. I have run into difficulties, and you will probably see me on the boards for a couple of months, trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

The only experience I have with games that could be considered even remotely similar to Baldur's Gate are Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, and World of Warcraft. No, none of these are as difficult as Baldur's Gate, and none of them use D&D rules. So, I've found the learning curve on this game pretty high, and am honestly tired of spending three times as much time on the inventory screen as on the gameplay screen. But, I will gather my party and venture forth.

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Welcome.
    It's easier if you start from BG1EE.
    In Bg2EE, you start with a lot of spells, abilites and other things.
    The Irenicus Dungeon is where you are supposed to learn the basics of the game.
    The best thing you can do is to ask here for help, everytime you can't understand something.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited May 2014
    Big agree with @Pibaro‌, there are some excellent people on here who will gladly guide you through the tough times!

As a piece of more general advice, I've always found D&D more enjoyable when I focus on the character rather than power-play.

Decide who your guy/gal is, and then try to make decisions based on that model...
    Sure, a particular hammer or axe (for instance) might seem pretty strong, but if you've conceived a sword wielding knight, or a tricksy dagger wielding thief, then stick to your guns!

This should help keep you out of the inventory screen and in the game.

Power play can wait for future runs when you're more familiar with the format.
  • BrannakBrannak Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2014
    @Pibaro agreed it can be overwhelming but as the others have said you will become more familiar and faster with time.

The difference with the Baldurs gate series from the hack n slash games is vast with a much greater benefit. It becomes so in depth and immersive with the controls and the storyline engaging in thought and memory that you will enjoy it alot more than most other games you play.

The harder you have to work for a steak.... The juicier it tastes :-)

Sorry was meant to say @Belteshazzar89 lol der
    Post edited by Brannak on