Skip to content

Help installing npc mods

EdgerEdger Member Posts: 5
Sorry if there's a thread for this already... I've been having trouble installing the npc mods for Isra and Valerie, specifically with Isra, but I'm having the same problem with Valerie. I've been trying to figure this out all night, but to no avail, and I'm literally losing my mind trying to find answers. I've pretty much set up everything the way I'm supposed, downloaded everything I could possibly need, moved the dialog.tlk and chitin.key files where they needed to be, but I keep getting this one error:

ERROR locating resource for "CHAIN 3"
Resource [RH#ISRAJ.DLG] not found in key file
[../chitin.key]
yada
yada
yada

The "resource" that it's asking about is in the Isra folder, in dialogue, so I have no idea why there could possibly be an error. Can someone PLEASE throw me a bone here and help me out? I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why this isn't working...

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Edger said:

moved the dialog.tlk and chitin.key files where they needed to be

@Edger, this may be the source of your problem. You can't move chitin.key. You have to do the opposite, i.e. moving the mod files where chitin.key is.

Isra is still using an old version of WeiDU, but moving dialog.tlk is not required, because you can install the mod in BG:EE by double clicking the .bat file instead of the .exe file.

If you still have problems installing mods, please attach here the file WeiDU.log and all the .DEBUG files (you'll have to zip or rar them first).
  • EdgerEdger Member Posts: 5
    Well that worked. Spent 3 hours on this last night...if only I realized it was this simple. Thank you again.
    edited June 2014
    Well perhaps I spoke too soon. I got the mod to actually work, but whenever I approach Isra, her name turns into Invalid (insert numbers here) and when I try to speak to her and Prism, I get the same Invalid error. I'm assuming this is due to using a new version of WeiDU? Since you said she still uses and old version of WeiDU? I guess I'll try installing an older version and see if that fixes the problem.

Edit: Yeah, I've tried everything I can think of and cannot fix it. Figures.
    Edger said:

I've tried everything I can think of and cannot fix it.

@Edger, the Isra mod works fine on both my BG:EE and EasyTutu install.

If you attach here the WeiDU.log and the .DEBUG files, I can take a look and pinpoint the actual problem instead of guessing.
    elminster
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Edger said:

Well perhaps I spoke too soon. I got the mod to actually work, but whenever I approach Isra, her name turns into Invalid (insert numbers here) and when I try to speak to her and Prism, I get the same Invalid error. I'm assuming this is due to using a new version of WeiDU? Since you said she still uses and old version of WeiDU? I guess I'll try installing an older version and see if that fixes the problem.

Hmm. Using a newer version of WeiDU shouldn't be causing any problems. It's probably preferable, honestly. It sounds to me like your dialog.tlk isn't in the right place yet. Make sure the one in your language folder is time stamped with when you installed the mod.

Since you've been moving files around, you may actually be better off restoring your installation and then trying to install stuff again on a clean installation.

edited June 2014
    Erg said:

Edger said:

I've tried everything I can think of and cannot fix it.

@Edger, the Isra mod works fine on both my BG:EE and EasyTutu install.

If you attach here the WeiDU.log and the .DEBUG files, I can take a look and pinpoint the actual problem instead of guessing.
    If I could, I would, gladly in fact. I'm a complete noob here.
    Rhaella said:

Edger said:

Hmm. Using a newer version of WeiDU shouldn't be causing any problems. It's probably preferable, honestly. It sounds to me like your dialog.tlk isn't in the right place yet. Make sure the one in your language folder is time stamped with when you installed the mod.

Since you've been moving files around, you may actually be better off restoring your installation and then trying to install stuff again on a clean installation.

Probably not. I've placed dialog.tlk where chitin.key is, as that's the only way the mod will install for me. If I don't put dialog.tlk where chitin.key is, it won't install properly.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, thinking maybe that would improve my chances here, but still nothing. I'd try installing a different version of the Isra mod (if there even is another one), but I'm having the same exact problem with the Valerie mod, so it has to be something that I'm doing wrong.
    @Edger - Valerie doesn't seem to have been update to use the newer versions of WeiDU either, so you're going to be running into the same problems, yeah.

I can't do anything for Valerie, but I just uploaded a version of Isra with a relatively new version of WeiDU. So you can go re-download it here: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1042-isra/

You shouldn't need to move anything around to get that to work. (Assuming I didn't break it.)

Once you've got that installing properly without moving things, the best bet would probably be to make a copy of setup-isra.exe, rename it to setup-valerie, and then run it for Valerie.
    Edger
    edited June 2014
    Well that seemed to rid away of one problem, only to create another... Isra seems to work now, the only problem is that when I try to talk to her or Prism, I get dialogue about the Seven Suns instead of the Prism quest.

Edit: Uninstalling and reinstalling helped, it seems to work properly now. However, once Greywolf and Prism both die, Isra doesn't initiate any dialogue. Gonna mess around with it some more to see if I can get it to work.

Edit Edit: Aaaaand, third time's a charm; it works. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you for sacrificing your time on me.
    @Rhaella, Isra is now using WeiDU 231.14. This particular version of WeiDU is affected by a bug and new strings will fail to be added when installing the mod for the first time. That's probably the reason why @Edger is saying that uninstalling and reinstalling helped.

This specific bug was fixed in WeiDU 234 (any version more recent than that is also fine).
    Pibaro
    @Erg - Oh, lovely! Thank you. Where is WeiDU kept again? I can never keep track of it.
    Rhaella said:

Where is WeiDU kept again? I can never keep track of it.

@Rhaella, you can find the latest stable version (v236) here or here and the latest beta (v236.01) here.

Additional information can be found on the WeiDU Forum.
    PibaroRhaellaAstroBryGuyelminster
    @Erg - Thank you!
    Erg