Skip to content

THAC0 question...

Sorry if I'm not thinking clearly, but why do the numbers on the to-hit rolls change? The number being subtracted, that is. Even when I swing at the same character twice, I get different results, though their numbers seem to be the same.
See, I roll a 15, it takes away 7. I roll a 19, it takes away two. Why? Shouldn't it remain constant for the same thac0 hitting the same AC?

Comments

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I think it may have something to do with the fact your character is exhausted. It imposes a luck malus on all your rolls which may be why you always roll a total 7. I'm unsure though, but it may looks like :

You roll a 1, the game adds 6 resulting in a 7. You fail anyway so the game doesn't need to apply the luck malus.

You roll a 7, the game adds 6 but that would results in you hitting the target, so the luck malus compensates your hit bonus and makes it +0.

You roll a 9, the game adds 6 but that would results in you hitting the target, so the luck malus compensates your hit bonus and makes it -2.

You roll a 15, the game adds +6 but you would hit the target. You are so tired that the luck malus (-1 per hour being exhausted cumulative) substracts 13 to makes it -7 to make you fail to hit.

This is purely speculation, but considering you aren't dual wielding (thus changing damage type between hits) and that you are tired, this is the only thing that came to my mind.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oh, thanks, that makes sense. I knew there was a thac0 penalty to fatigue, but I didn't know what it was. That's interesting. Having 4 con is getting old.