Skip to content

Priest of Lathander

How do you guys think this kit compares to a fighter/cleric dual or multi? I know those options will probably be more powerful in the long run but I feel like the kit might actually not be that far behind.

Am I right to think the Boon spell stacks so its possible to get 4 apr with a one hander or 5 with a dual? Basically lathander priest can buff up to 25 strength, catch an improved haste and get 10 apr. Is that right?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2014
    Yes the ability stacks with itself. So its possible to have 5 APR with it eventually.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
    So just how far behind do think a PoL would be in terms of the power of berserker (9)-> cleric?

Will the halfling saving throws negate the need for rage? Will the pure cleric be able to connect with the FoA and DoE dual weild?
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    I realize this thread is a few months old, but it still shows up in the search engines and will from now on, so I thought I would weigh in to answer Jagged's question (in case someone comes searching for answers).
    Jagged said:

So just how far behind do think a PoL would be in terms of the power of berserker (9)-> cleric?...

At level 30+ the Priest of Lathander won't be behind at all. Boon of Lathander stacks, so casting them all will grant you +4 APR, +4 hit, +4 dmg, (not to mention +4 saves) for 3+ turns. Wielding Flail of the Ages w/ 25 Strength (DUHM) and Improved Haste (8APR), and you will reach godhood. That's incredible. Sure, it's only for 3+ turns, but this kind of power isn't needed fighting scrubs. There are only a few instances where such power is truly useful, and when you need it most, you will have it. A dual-wielding Berserker w/ improved haste and Rage w/ +2 to hit comes close to that, but in the end stacking BoL gives the edge to the Priest.

So it really comes down to what you want. If you want to be insanely powerful all the time, go with a Berserker 9>Cleric. If you want to be moderately powerful most of the time, but with the ability to become just a little more powerful than a Berserker/Cleric once a day, then roll a Priest of Lathander.

Taking the Berserker to 13 would give the Berserker>Cleric the edge IMHO, but due to all the downtime it's almost not even worth it considering the extent of the PoL's power.
    Jagged said:

Will the halfling saving throws negate the need for rage? Will the pure cleric be able to connect with the FoA and DoE dual weild?

The Halfling Saving Throws are very nice but Rage is better because it offers absolute immunity to crippling status effects - no saving throw required.

As for dual-wielding w/ a pure Cleric, it seems nice because w/ Boon of Lathander and Improved Haste you are looking at 10+ APR, but the penalties to hit are so severe that to me it's not worth it.