Skip to content

Druid - might be better?

I am playing BGI and I feel like a worthless character (playing as a druid). When I put finger on Neverwinter, I felt that druid is a good character (good healing, animal companion - even two in the same time on early game - transformation etc.). But in BGI I can't do anything, I am in the 6th chapter - level 6 - and I don't have animal companion, transformation, good healing spells and this big restriction on weapons.

I love druids but after this big disappointment in BGI I am afraid that I won't use this class in BGII. And here comes my question is druid in BGII better than in the first part of Baldur's Gate or still the same or even worse?

Comments

• ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    I feel your pain @Simon_Stillwater In NWN1 and NWN2 the Druid was second only to the Bard in pure fun of playing.
    One solution for me was was to add the iwdification mod by @CamDawg it adds the spells that Druids get in IWD to your Druid in BGEE. gibberlings3.net/iwdification/

It wont make them as powerful as they are in NWN but it does add a lot to their spell power.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    You do start to get a few good spells (Call Woodland Beings, Insect Plague, Iron Skins) once you can cast level 4/level 5 spells. That is of course assuming we are talking about BGEE.

You also get the ability to shapechange at level 7 (but depending upon your setup this may not be worth it).

The druid level progression in BG2 slows down pretty significantly however. There are mods that you can use to change this. Also as ronaldo pointed out there is also the iwdification mod that gives druids more spell options especially at the lower levels.

I'm assuming you aren't using one of the druid kits (only applicable if you are using BGEE). Those also tend to improve upon what the regular druid offers.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Druid is overall better in most of BG2 vs BG1, but its especially rough on low levels without a kit. Many people consider druids to not be very powerful in bg period, but I like the Avenger kit.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited June 2014
    what at @elminster said

also if u really are un happy the totemic and avenger kits really add a lot to the druid both at early and later levels
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    The Avenger is the way to go (although the Totemic Druid is decent as well). I'd advise against the vanilla Druid, unless you want a multi- or dual-class character.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    The Druid in NwN2 and 3.5E is godly. Especially with Kaedrin's pack (that is used on many online servers).

Elemental/dinosaur companion, huge detection (Spot/Listen) bonuses, spontaneously turning any spell into summon spells, dire animal/plant/elemental/dragon shape and ability to cast in those.

In BG2, the most useful thing of the Druid is Creeping Doom and Insect Plague.
    No companion, no wilderness skills, no spell variety, no spontaneous summoning, no variety in shapes, no casting in said shapes.

While the kits make it much more pleasant, it's not even close to the power and versatility of the Druid in 3.5E.

In Icewind Dale I/II though Druid are absolutely awesome and regretted not having one when I first played IWD1.
  • Simon_StillwaterSimon_Stillwater Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all. It's worth knowing that druid is bad in BG realm but good (and I am happy about that) in the others realms, what I will surely use. So I will need to find another fitting class for me in the adventure to Baldur's Gate II.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    Well, as I said in my earlier post, the Avenger and Totemic Druid kits are perfectly fine, certainly not 'bad'. They aren't the most powerful classes, but they certainly aren't weak. Even the vanilla druid is find once you have access to higher-level spells, which would be in BG2.
  • Simon_StillwaterSimon_Stillwater Member Posts: 5
    ^ Yeah, I know, I've read your post ;p
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Also, you could dual from fighter level 4 to druid (it can be done before chapter 3) and be more effective in combat.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    It is common knowledge that in BG, druids, PURE druids, suck animal ash... Try a kit. The only worthwhile ones, are: 1) Avenger 2) Totemic 3) Avenger and... Avenger. You should try Avenger, or avenger, and totemic. But you are probably better off on... Avenger.-
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    in like five levels you're going to be laughing at what you said here
    @Demonoid_Limewire‌ if he really wanted to shake things up, he could consider an Avenger.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    level 15 druid- you're lauging mate- no challenge whatsoever
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    For BG1, roll Avenger. You'll change your tune real gods-damn quick.
  • bhulikbhulik Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    i think that an Avenger dual-classed into a fighter at level 15 is amazing. You get all the druid spells AND you are a high level fighter (by mid-game). The combo is great. (note: take energy blades for your high level druid ability. you could go higher in the druid levels (up to level 20 i think). my preferred is either level 15 or 18 then dual class)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    bhulik said:

i think that an Avenger dual-classed into a fighter at level 15 is amazing. You get all the druid spells AND you are a high level fighter (by mid-game). The combo is great. (note: take energy blades for your high level druid ability. you could go higher in the druid levels (up to level 20 i think). my preferred is either level 15 or 18 then dual class)

Unless you have a low number of people in your party I kind of doubt you are going to be a high level fighter by mid game if you dual at level 15 as a druid. To get to level 16 as a fighter you need 2 million xp. So between the two classes in total that is 5 million xp.
    Why would you take an ability for druid that is just setting your attacks to 10?? You can make a fighter use GWW for this. Use Firetooth.

Or make a fm multi and do silly things with mmm!

Which isnt to say I see no value in a high level dualfrom druid, but I would opt for an elemental form to stomp around in.