Skip to content

Dorn Romance *Spoilers*

SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
So Dorn is gay, no big surprise to me as I heard a rumour about it ages ago.

This may come off as homophobic but rest assured it really isn't. The responses are really lacking to this romance. It takes away from the immersion when my ignorant asshole Half-Orc cannot dismiss Dorn with any personality, only a "Sorry, that isn't my thing" kind of response. Plus, the tree of dialogue moves charname into a chat suggesting he accepted Dorn's advances without intention.

In all honesty, I feel this romance shows how uncomfortable we are (as a people) discussing this topic. The developers obviously thought "Oh, you can't say anything that would upset the gay community." Although Korgan can openly say he craves some dark meat (Hexxat, lol).

Did anyone else get that vibe from this romance?
WithinAmnesia

Comments

• LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Dorn is bisexual :p so no one is safe.

I made a male character for kicks and had Dorn in the party. It was...weird. And despite my (slightly illegal) elven cleric/mage having high intelligence and wisdom he didn't know what he was getting into. Like he only realised after they slept together and was just "oh..." I guess. The responses were vague, and even if I was intending to persue the romance with him it was just a bit odd to me. Over before it started (must be his 14 constitution...).

It might well be that this manner of topic is still uncomfortable for many people. As a straight woman, I can't say it bothers me that much. It was nice to have the option, but I do think both Dorn's and Hexxat's romances were a bit off (in Hexxat's case, she just seemed to be comprised of snappy one liners. To the extent that I just wanted to claw my hair out). Some advancement's been done with portraying gay relationships in games, but it still seems somewhat shallow. Especially when it comes from male gay relationships. But hey, I guess the developers don't want to alienate people (...despite people like Dorn and Anders from DA 2 not seeming to take no for an answer).
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Well, as the gay developer who wrote it - I certainly don't feel uncomfortable discussing the topic. ;)

I just didn't want to bring shades of negativity into it. The choices are there.

In regards to the dialog tree seeming like you accepted his advances, I'm actually fairly sure that's a big that will be fixed in the next release.
    jackjackronaldoJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
    Liam, thanks for taking the time to comment on this! Although I admire all the work that writers put into this fantastic game, I did feel that the responses weren't entirely balanced. At the same time, I don't really have an idea on how to approach it because I feel the way MOST men would approach is pretty pig headed.

I wouldn't say that the dialogue tree has a 'bug' as much as a lack of direct refusal. I'd have to find the exact moment, but it is somewhere around the 'intimate wrestling' dialogue or soon thereafter.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited June 2014
    @SuperFeature: "Ah. I think you may have the wrong idea, Dorn. I'm not interested in you" seems direct enough. There's also "In your dreams, half-orc. It certainly won't happen in this world" a bit later in the exchange.

And if you're asking why you can't present a more hostile answer: he's a half-orc blackguard with demonic powers. Be polite or run for the hills.
    Rylorn23WithinAmnesia
  • Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2014
    @shawne: And if you're asking why you can't present a more hostile answer: he's a half-orc blackguard with demonic powers. Be polite or run for the hills.

Bah! Let him try and I will be the one, who will make him run for the hills. I am a Bhaalspawn and blackguard in one person. He is no match for me! And he is nothing, but a poor excuse for a true blackguard. :D

Viconia's romance is better than his romance. But I like Aerie's romance more, when I play as a good character.