Skip to content

BGEE - Won't save

I downloaded BGEE from Steam and it runs fine but it won't save. It created the save directory in the Documents folder but it doesn't write anything to it when I try to save. I checked the on the Steam forum and said someone else had the same problem due to the Documents folder not being on C:. I have the Documents folder on another drive for space reasons. Is there a way to get it working other than moving Documents back to C:? That's something that isn't going to happen. It can figure out where to create the folder so it should be able to figure out where to save unless it's hard-coded to look for C:, which would be stupid.

Comments

• ArthulArthul Member Posts: 2
    I have tried about everything. Even uninstalled it and took out my saved game files and characters. I am on Chapter 3 but every time I save it, it starts back at the final save I was able to make months ago. Do your options reset too?
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013

Is there a way to get it working other than moving Documents back to C:? That's something that isn't going to happen.

Requirements for this Workaround: Windows Vista or Windows Seven (Does not work with WinXP, don't know about Win8), both drives formatted as NTFS.

WinKey+R -> cmd
    enter the following, replace the underlinded parts with the required data.
    mkdir C:\Users\your windows username\Documents
    mklink /J "C:\Users\your windows username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" "path to your documents folder\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    This will create the folders on C:\ and link the BG:EE persistency location with the real one in your documents folder.
  • Dar_SoladinDar_Soladin Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem in ToB but I've always had the save directory on C: exactly where the game put it. I have played the same sequence over twice and it always takes me back to where I started which is just before the final battle with Irenicus. Very frustrated. Any solutions?
  • Dar_SoladinDar_Soladin Member Posts: 2
    Resolved!! I was playing ToSC for so long that I kept starting with that program. I should have been starting with ToB. I guess the program automatically switched file names over and wouldn't load them into ToSC after I reached the ToB segment. Couldn't find that anywhere in the docs although it should have been obvious. My bad.