Skip to content

Problems installing mods

So despite multiple installs I am still having a problem where after 1 or 2 mods are extracted into the game directory, the other mods refuse to extract usually with some sort of message stating that I do not have permission to access that folder or that that folder cannot be opened.

I'm not entirely sure what is happening or what do do here. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Do you have admin rights for that folder?
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    Yeah. That was one of the first things I checked. Like I said, I have gone through the process 3 times now.

The first time the extractions were going fine for 3 or 4 mods until bg2tweaks and then it started acting as if I had no access to the folder.

The second time it only got through 1 mod and then it got hung up on Assassinations. I'm not sure what the cause is.
    Unusual, we are talking about extracting the mods from their zip files or running the WeiDU installer to install the mods?
    Running the WeiDU installer. I believe. For most of the mods there are 3 steps right? Extracting -> WeiDU Installer -> Setup.exe? Mine gets hung up on the second step.
    Okay, which mod is it and did it make a SETUP-SuchandSuch-Debug file?
    It is most mods at this point and not that I can see. As an example I used SCS.

As far as I can tell, what happens is that whenever I run any mod, it extracts everything up until the point where it needs to extract the .exe file.

At that point it gives me a message along the lines of: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited June 2014
    @Itstucktwice, which version of Windows are you using and where did you install the game?

Assuming that you are using Vista, 7 or 8 a possible solution is to avoid to install the game in Program Files and use something like C:\Games instead.

Alternatively, you can keep the game in Program Files, but you have to run the setup files as administrator. For example in Windows 7 you have to right click on the file, select Properties and check the box like in the image under the spoiler tag:

If this still doesn't work try disabling also the UAC.