Skip to content

two handed weapons and off hand

It would be nice to be able to equip somthing in the off hand and a two handed weapon in one of the main hand quick slots. It is logical that if your character is able to switch from a sword to a bow he should also be able to sheat a sword in is off hand to use the bow he switch his main hand sword to

Comments

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    But how would you switch then? You click on the icon of the two-handed weapon and you use the two-handed weapon. You click on the icon of the off-h weapon and you use the... off-hand weapon. And nothing else. Or do you want it to select a random (or the 1st) one-handed weapon from your main hand weapon slots?

Either way, this sounds a lot like it's hard-coded in the engine. 'Just like dual-wielding two-handed weapons, I really don't think it's feasible.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Zanian said:

But how would you switch then? You click on the icon of the two-handed weapon and you use the two-handed weapon. You click on the icon of the off-h weapon and you use the... off-hand weapon. And nothing else. Or do you want it to select a random (or the 1st) one-handed weapon from your main hand weapon slots?

I think it would be pretty straight forward; you wouldn't even have to change anything about the current UI. If you select a 2H weapon, whatever you have in your off-hand will automatically un-equip (but will stay in your off hand equipment slot). Then if you select a 1H weapon for you main hand whatever is in your off-hand will automatically re-equip.

However, at the end of the day it might just be easier to adopt the IWD2 approach of having multiple weapon 'loadouts' that you can switch between on the fly. Of course, implementing either of these solutions is much easier said than done.
    elminster
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    I think this is a reasonable request though, if a dev wants to put a bullet in it and say it's hard coded then fair enough.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18429/weapon-sets-swapper/p1

I haven't tried this myself, but might work for you if you care enough about easy weapon swapping.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2014
    It's a problem with the way damage is handled. If you stick a strong 1hder in your off-hand, and then cast a spell that replaces your main hand with a projectile, it'll allow you to hit with your off-hand at range for as long as you have projectiles.

Same applies for any ranged weapon if you force an off-hand weapon to equip with shadow-keeper while a ranged weapon is wielded.

Blocking the ability to have something in your off-hand was the way they handled that exploit.