Skip to content

Most reliable builds from BG1 to ToB? (On a Multiplayer Game)

Hello!

I am one of those guys who used to play Baldur's Gate when I was a teenager. Oh man, I used to have a lot of time back then! With EE, my old group and I decided to give it a full run, from the Inn in Candlekeep to The Throne of Bhaal itself, importing our character over each of the campaigns.

I am aware some things have changed, and now we are able to use Kits from the beginning, which is kinda overwhelming - so many choices, and so many class abilities not kicking in until later levels!

We have a 4-player party, with 2 slots for NPCs; we probably will use Baldur's own NPCs, as we miss some space hamsters. We will be cycling through NPCs in order to get their personal quests. The other players will be playing as a Cavalier, a Dwarf Defender and a Mage.

I want to play something that will make me feel useful in all game stages, either as a hitter, support of something else. I remember certain classes like Monk were awesome in ToB but failed hard in SoA. Some like F/M/T and Archers were incredible until late in SoA, but couldn't keep up in ToB. Assassins and Jesters were very nice for the 5 minutes in SoA before everybody started being immune to their abilities, Clerics were never bad, but never really good, and so on.

Am I wrong here? Is there any build that can actually be useful and enjoyable from 0 to 8 million XP, without lagging behind, being a late bloomer, or dependent on unusual conditions?

In your opinion, which are the most playable and enjoyable level-by-level builds in the game?

Comments

• MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    There are so many options. Do you like playing a certain fantasy archetype more than others? You should be able to just play whatever you like playing the most and do very well. But to answer your questions in more detail:

If you'd like to go for a "standard" party setup, you could fill the role of a cleric or thief.

Cleric: pretty much anything you choose will be solid throughout the whole saga. Either one of the kits (RP flavor, pretty nifty specials spells, though not THAT great), or Berserker->Cleric dual (Berserker in BG1 is extremely good, use Branwen/Viconia for Cleric needs and then dual in BG2), Fighter/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric multiclasses (the latter gets access to both Cleric and Druid spells, extremely powerful to the point of some people regarding it as too cheesy). Clerics with their self-buff spells can become beastly frontliners, especially with the support of Berserker Rage or stuff like Ironskins (if you go the Berserker dual or Cleric/Ranger ways respectively). There's also Cleric/Mage if you'd like to have more spells than anyone else but it's debatably more of a late game/high level class, which is not something you want.

Thief: either one of the kits (maybe Bounty Hunter, traps are really powerful, or the new Shadowdancer to abuse stealth and hide anywhere), or Kensai->Thief dual to become the ultimate backstabber (though as a Kensai in BG1 you will need some support from other party members, so that might not be a great idea considering your requirements). There are always Thief/Mage duals or multis that can be played in a couple of ways - you could be an utility oriented Thief during BG1, leveling up lockpicking and disarming traps and then dual to Mage at the end of BG1 or start of BG2 (that way you have your Thief needs covered while being a fully capable Mage, no need for Yoshimo/Nalia/Jan/Imoen in BG2), or perhaps go multiclass and go for a more backstabbing route while supporting yourself with invisibility spells, etc. A simple Fighter/Thief mutliclass is going to be good as well - a straightforward Fighter playstyle while covering the traps/locks needs of your party, and later on you get Use All Items for some fun (or just to utilize Scarlet Ninja-to offhand for that +APR) and powerful Spike Traps.

If you'd like to play without dualing or multi-classing, there's stuff like Barbarian - powerful throughout the whole saga, though seeing your friends playing as 2 other melee classes, you might want to choose something else. But it depends, an cool idea might be to create an unstoppable melee trio and get some support classes from NPCs.

Another one is Blade - very interesting to play, Mage spells up to the 7th level, offensive and defensive spin, pickpocketing, bard song.

Honestly, there are so many options out there. Maybe you could tell what style of character you generally prefer? In any case, most of the classes mentioned above are able to solo the whole saga without too much trouble, so should fit your criteria nicely.
  • CallibanCalliban Member Posts: 10
    I'm not aiming for a über character here, I just want to be useful for the entire game. Dual types tend to be incredibly strong, but only after 10-15 levels of being protected by the party (i.e. kindergarten). A swashbuckler/mage dual will require a dozen or so levels where your spells will bounce off everything before you become a god of self-buffing war. Multi-classing works in the early BG1 and mid to late ToB, but in most SoA you'll be just trying to keep up.

In my group, I'll probably let the two warrior-types to the heavy hitting and probably focus on support.

I was thinking of an Elf Archer, as Archers are helpful most of the game; but if I remember correctly they would turn sub-optimal in ToB due to the lack of strong magic ammo.

A Bard would be fun, probably a Skald or Jester, but I never went far enough with a bard to know how well they can face ToB.

A Cleric seems fun, but is a Cleric/Mage multi-class is feasible for a full party-buffer/healer?
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The less party members you have, the more viable C/M becomes, and it's fairly viable in a 6 man party as is. It is literally an endless supply of spells.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    F/M/T is really good in a full party as a Thief, you won't need more skill points than that, you can pick lock / detect traps from Candlekeep to ToB + you're a really powerful melee character.

Otherwise, I think a Dwarven Defender might be a good choice to be a fearsome tank from the start to the end (you can reach 90% physical damage reduction in late game)

Or you can be a Sorcerer ! Really useful all the game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    You could always consider playing as one of the druid kits.

Totemic druid: You'd basically be the parties summoner throughout the series. Their summons have a huge number of immunities and the downsides of the kit are pretty limited.

Avenger: Gets a whole bunch of different mage spells that you can use for a support role. Also gets some useful shapeshift forms.

Shapeshifter: Werewolf abilities let you have at least 19 strength and fight up close. You'd want to get yourself a pair of bracers of defense (or the shield amulet) for when you are out of form but in BG1 and SoA its a pretty easy kit to tank with (not a lot of maintenance required). In ToB you are probably better switching to being more of a caster though with enough buffs its possible to still tank.

The main advantage of the druid over the cleric/ranger is that you get access to a large number of level 7 spells when you hit level 15 (which admittedly takes forever). If you are looking to play a support role however this is particularly good for using spells like Regeneration on your party members. Plus you get insect plague in BGEE and in BG2EE you can also get access to Greater Elemental Summoning (which is a particularly good summoning spell).

• CallibanCalliban Member Posts: 10
    I'm not trying to solo here, our group is composed by 4-PC/2-NPC, the other players are 2 warriors and a mage. A C/M would be used here primarily for healing and buffing the party. Would this still be useful or should I let arcane casting for the other mage alone?

I'm trying to avoid another tank type, and anything like a F/M would basically compete with the rest of the group, at least in my mind. How and why would Sorcerer be more useful to the group than a support C/M?

Now, Druid appears to be an interesting choice. I remember how I used to abuse insects... But I also remember the Shapeshifting abilities to be impractical after mid-SoA. I'm not sure here, but isn't Cleric supposed to have better healing abilities?
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    Multiclass fighter/thief is solid from beginning to end. You'd detect traps, unlock chests, etc. BG1 you'd probably be ranged fighter mostly and backstab to start things off after you have gained a few levels.

In the same vain, the fighter/cleric or fighter/druid also solid from beginning to end. Competent in melee and good buffs for your party. The fighter/druid is better at disabling mages with insect plague and also has good summons like fire elemental, though the first few spell levels are lame.

Alternatively a Bard is always a great support character. Blade if you want to fight in addition to support. Jester or Skald if you want be predominantly support.

Sorcerer is good, too. Usually a good idea to have two Arcane casters. One of you will be the artillery and the other focusing more on party buffs.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I'm agreeing with the Fighter/Thief multiclass. Being able to cover both roles respectably is a huge asset to any party.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Fighter/Cleric multi is another great all game multiclass.

Actually I find most multiclasses are fantastic throughout the entire saga. You don't hit any real power spikes per say, simply due to levelling so slowly. But you're always relevant.
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2014
    Mage/cleric downside: Can't wear armor while spellcasting. If you are stunned the party might have no spellcaster to fix you.

Go with a dual wield Fighter/thief. I remember punishing Drow with a Fighter/thief. Have spell items instead of spells, otherwise it gets dull.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    fanscale said:

Mage/cleric downside: Can't wear armor while spellcasting. If you are stunned the party might have no spellcaster to fix you.

A C/M should never be your only Priest or wizard, but an auxiliary source of both to provide extra, endless magic.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Calliban said:

I'm not trying to solo here, our group is composed by 4-PC/2-NPC, the other players are 2 warriors and a mage. A C/M would be used here primarily for healing and buffing the party. Would this still be useful or should I let arcane casting for the other mage alone?

I'm trying to avoid another tank type, and anything like a F/M would basically compete with the rest of the group, at least in my mind. How and why would Sorcerer be more useful to the group than a support C/M?

Now, Druid appears to be an interesting choice. I remember how I used to abuse insects... But I also remember the Shapeshifting abilities to be impractical after mid-SoA. I'm not sure here, but isn't Cleric supposed to have better healing abilities?

Yes, clerics overall do tend to be better at healing (namely because it has access to the restoration and 3/3 revive spells) but you can always just keep your companions protected from level drain (which is the main use you are going to end up having certainly for lesser restoration) with either items or by using Negative Plane Protection. Likewise in the case of resurrecting there are a few items that can do this for you as well (rods of resurrection).

Your cavalier will also eventually gain the ability to cast Lesser Restoration, though that will come until he reaches level 15.

An alternative idea (and one thing that nobody else seems to have brought up) is a cleric/thief. With this you could provide buff spells (Bless, Chant, Protection From Evil 10' Radius, Defensive Harmony, etc), healing, provide some summoning (Animate Dead), provide utility abilities (pick pocket, open locks, find traps, detect illusion), scout, and deal out damage (spells like Holy Smite and Flame Strike and thieving related things like Set Trap and backstabbing). If you are going to go this route I'd probably recommend the gnome (the alternative is the half-orc). You take a bit of a wisdom hit but you gain from getting up to a +5 bonus to your save vs spells (depending on your constitution) and (despite what the game description currently says) gnomes start with higher thieving skills (compared to half-orcs).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    FMT would round out the group best.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2014
    Calliban said:

I'm not aiming for a über character here, I just want to be useful for the entire game. Dual types tend to be incredibly strong, but only after 10-15 levels of being protected by the party (i.e. kindergarten). A swashbuckler/mage dual will require a dozen or so levels where your spells will bounce off everything before you become a god of self-buffing war. Multi-classing works in the early BG1 and mid to late ToB, but in most SoA you'll be just trying to keep up.

I don't agree that multiclass characters somehow lag behind in any part of the game. Like it was mentioned, they're usually relevant throughout the whole playthough.

As for dualing, you should do it at 9, you'll regain your first class quickly. Not much point in going for something like a 13 dual in a full group.

Edit: from what you say in other posts, I think Blade could be a good choice for you. Just pick different weapon proficiencies than your 2 warrior buddies and you shouldn't really compete with any of your friends in almost any aspect. You can support your party in various ways, depending on what the situation needs and you always have something to do.
  • DevarimDevarim Member Posts: 2
    If you want to play a class that is good (not epic but good) though the whole serie i would pick a half-elf cleric/ranger. They are good as a fighter/healer in the start and the higher level you get the more fun it will become :) I hope you guys have an awesome adventure together. ( Why Cleric/Ranger and not Fighter/Cleric.... casue of the spells you get later on and they are pretty easy to get 88+ on the roll )
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Swashbuckler
    Avenger
    Any Paladin
    Berserker

None of this dual-class garbage.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I'd suggest ranger/cleric or fighter/thief.

Fighter/thief is a very strong character - has very useful thief skills which your party will otherwise need an NPC for, can fight almost as well as a single class fighter, and later in the game will get the amazingly useful Use Any Item.

Ranger/cleric is also a very strong character. Great fighting skills (particularly tanking with ironskins) and provides divine magic which your party lacks at the moment. Clerics get their highest level spells at level 14, so being part of a multiclass doesn't restrict their power too much. Plus I don't generally find their level 7 spells to be that amazing (unlike mages who have superb level 9 spells).