Skip to content

NPC Weapon Proficiencies Not Working. Any ideas or solutions?

AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
Hey everybody. I've run into a rather odd problem and I'm not sure how to handle/fix it. I've been using EE Keeper to modify various creatures, fixing errors, and updating creature files for a mod that I've been working on for a bit. However, I can't seem to give creatures their appropriate weapon proficiencies.

For example, if I take a creature and add two ranks into longswords, no proficiencies show up in the game (viewed with the debug CTRL+Q) and the creature is obtaining no benefits from those proficiencies. This is true for both PC-classed characters (such as human fighters) and monster class characters (such as hobgoblins). They're definitely picking up the penalties for lacking the proficiencies (in my 2da settings, 0 points in a proficiency gives a -1 to hit and -2 to damage) which they're receiving correctly. Just I can't get proficiencies on them, and I'm not sure why.

It doesn't seem to be an EE Keeper issue as when I add proficiencies to party-NPCs, it seems to work A-OK. When I save and reload a creature, EE Keeper shows the correct proficiencies. This is causing a big problem for my mod, and I'm at a loss. Any ideas folks?

Comments

• AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    If I open the modified .cre file in DLTC Editor it displays the proficiencies under small blades (3) and missile weapons (3). Not sure what to think of that, but all the BG II proficiencies aren't listed in the .cre files in DLTC Editor for some reason, but I'm not sure if it's related or not.
    I've just identified part of the problem. For some reason when I'm using EE Keeper and set the proficiencies of the 2nd class, they disappear on save. This seems to be the case even if I have the NPC in my party. Since 2nd class proficiencies take priority over 1st class proficiencies, it's causing the NPCs to be unable to use the proficiencies from the 1st class tab.

Now I don't know why EE Keeper isn't saving the 2nd class proficiencies. D:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks. I couldn't find any other programs that looked good for editing .cre files and making them work, unfortunately. However, I was asking in the EE Keeper thread as well, and was pointed to the 1.3 patch notes where it's noted that NPCs in BG:EE aren't receiving their weapon proficiencies correctly/at all, so I'm thinking that might be the issue.

I also found that some NPCs are entirely editable. For example, while maneira (maneir.cre) won't accept weapon proficiencies, Mulahey (mulahe.cre) accepted them just fine. It seems to have something to do with which column for proficiencies the game is accepting. For example, some NPCs seem to take proficiencies in the 1st column, others in the 2nd. If the NPC needs proficiencies in the 2nd column it just doesn't work. >_>

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited July 2014
    @Ashiel, yes BG:EE is currently bugged. However, NearInfinity works just fine to fix proficiencies (and of course WeiDU does too):

[spoiler=Maneira with Darts]image[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Maneira with Short Sword]image[/spoiler]
    Awesome! Thanks, that'll be a huge help. :D

Do you recommend a specific version of Near Infinity, or can I just try one of the recent releases?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Ashiel said:

Do you recommend a specific version of Near Infinity, or can I just try one of the recent releases?

I recommend the most recent one. Despite being a pre-release version, AFAIK it works fine.
    Thanks. That's the one I downloaded and sure enough, I was able to edit Maneira and she spawned with proficiencies in the game. Woot. Okay, well this means I can probably use NI to fix the broken creature files, at least until the issue is resolved in EE Keeper (which it might be soon!). ^_^

Thanks a ton. :D