Skip to content

So is charm talking supposed to be possible?

I've been browsing threads for some while and even though it's mentioned they're very old and not very definitive.. I also know it wasn't available at release but I can't find it in the patch notes.

I was planning on doing an 'enchanter' run en charm-talk to every humanoid possible, simply because I've never done that and it will definitely give something fresh about another BG1 run.

However even though I know I charm talked to some npc's in other runs on a whim, I now tried to talk to the two assasins in candlekeep, which I know have talks... but nothing came up.

I just need some confirmation on this.

Also if it's not possible, would this: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/30535-releasepatch-enable-conversations-with-charmeddominated-creatures/page-2 still be a viable solution or will it mess up the BGEE executable?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited July 2014
    Yes. And its hilarious. I had through it wasn't anymore for a long time too, but it turns out it works. I don't know if it was a to or, or a bug, or what. But I can confirm it works in bg1:ee
    Before:image
    After:image
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    Allright @meagloth thanks. Curious why neither Carbos nor Shank had anything to say though.

It was weird, I didn't get the message 'xxx has nothing to say to you' but nothing happened when I tried 'a talking to'.

Could you try and quickly make a game for me and try to charm/talk to the both of them? That way I know if it might be SCS or bg1npc.
    Yea, sure. Be right there. It usually only works on important people. Commoners, for example, have nothing new to say(disappointingly.)
    Nope, they got nothin to say, unfortunately.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I checked both their dialogue files and neither of them had any charm dialogue.
    Allright well thanks to you both for the legwork and answers.

I might as well post a followup question

Is there any kind of mod/fix out there to prevent the normal charm spell from making neutral npc's go hostile after it runs out? Since Algernon's doesn't cause that effect.
    Deefje said:

Allright well thanks to you both for the legwork and answers.

I might as well post a followup question

Is there any kind of mod/fix out there to prevent the normal charm spell from making neutral npc's go hostile after it runs out? Since Algernon's doesn't cause that effect.

Its actually very easy to do (basically it just involves changing a flag in the spell). For instance if you throw these spl files (found in this rar file) into your override folder it should make it so that Charm Person, Charm Person or Mammal (but this only applies to humanoids for this spell), Safana's Charm Person, and Dire Charm all don't cause hostility after the charm wears off. I did not include Mental Domination and Domination (for technical reasons).
    @elminster wow you really are a wizard. :) I haven't tried it yet but I'll install it now.

Don't know what technical reasons you meant.

Allright, well I'll be harassing people with charm from now... I promise to stay away from the courtesans.
    Don't worry about the technical reason point I made looks like things should work out fine :)