Skip to content

How does BG1EE compare to BG2?

I beat BG2 regular edition 13 years ago. It was the most epic journey I have ever had with a PC game. I actually had to use a walk-through quite a bit to get past certain points and to finish many side-quests. I felt no shame in doing so because the game was challenging even on Easy, but I played it on Normal. I mean knowing how to buff your party before a fight using Protection from Evil, Chant, Bless, Haste, and some others is a MUST for nearly every battle if you plan on winning, but figuring it out on your own would take forever or would never happen without a walk-through.

I bought BG1 EE out of nostalgia, but I never got to play it because I purchased it for 3 more people (FutureMark forum members) with 1 condition, which was to play the game co-op with me. Of course once they received the game, they just ignored me entirely... By myself I felt that BG2 was just so much more than BG1 and it was BG2 that raised the bar, not BG1. Was I correct about that? Now that Patch 1.3 is coming soon, I wonder if I should re-consider and play through the original Baldur's Gate EE. I would frankly do anything to have someone else co-op with me, but I doubt it would ever happen... The only way forward is alone... I mean I could pay to have someone co-op with me, but that would make me feel pathetic... I can't find the "B" (Bold) button to emphasize some of my text, so pardon me for the following message in caps:

IF YOU WISH TO PLAY THROUGH AND PLAY BG1EE 1.3 CO-OP WITH ME, THEN PLEASE SEND ME A PM - IT WOULD BE A BLAST FOR ME!!! I don't care if you're a newbie of a veteran as long as there would be no spoilers and I am given time to read the dialogues/conversations. I haven't been selected for the Patch 1.3 Beta testing, but I've signed up and I've looked into the specific bugs and issues it is supposed to fix, so I can provide good feedback. I really hope I will be selected if there are some kind developers and people who would co-op with me... It wouldn't make sense to start a new game without Patch 1.3 Beta or 1.3 Final. I am sure the latest Beta would suffice!

A bit off-topic, but all these bugs found in BG1 EE - were they present in the original BG1??? If such is the case then It means that it really took so much time and effort to get to Patch 1.3 to truly patch up this game's numerous bugs, leaving only the mildest of issues. This really shows just how complex the game is and such games are usually filled with bugs, although most aren't game-breaking. Still, I have no doubt that playing BG1EE with Patch 1.3 would be enjoyable. Imagine if the original BG1 came out with all of Patch 1.3 fixes. It would've been a 10/10 game and it would be a matter of fact rather than opinion!

At the moment I actually play Divinity - Original Sin co-op with a friend of mine, but we don't do it often enough and the game isn't as epic as Baldur's Gate or even IceWind Dale, but it is a proper RPG without any hand-holding that many modern games include and ruin the fun. Divinity - Original Sin reminds me of Fallout 2, BG2, etc. It also contains a TON of bugs, which is why the game gets up to 1-3 patches PER DAY, lol!!!

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I'm sorry, but I can't help you with the co-op thing.
    What I can tell you is that BGEE is a great game, and it's a lot easier than bg2, because you start at level 1.
    This means that you will have few spell at the beginning of the game, and you will have the time to learn step by step.
    You won't need much help to learn things.
    Have fun, and tell your friends that a promise is a promise :)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Don't worry about bugs. By now bg1 is largly bug-free, especially with the upcoming patch.