Skip to content

The tale of Merdarus, the chaotic evil kung fu zombie

Hey everybody.
I just found out that BG was released on ipad and instantly downloaded it. The last time I played was about 5 years ago. I always played with lawful good parties and finished BG 1&2&ToB always with a reputation of 20, doing all quests, helping everyone and being the best hero I could.
This time around though, I wanted to try something different and well... this is Merdarus, the chaotic evil (well, technically lawful evil, since he's a monk, but I'm clearly playing him as chaotic evil.) solo monk:

I am Merdarus, the Bhaalspawn and legitimate heir to the Throne of Bhaal. My aim is to reclaim my place at the top of the food chain, as soon and as devastating as possible. Therefore, I won't do any errands for you. Lost your book? Too bad. Your cow is poisoned? I don't care. Your kid is trapped in the lighthouse? Well, I killed the Worgs already, no reason to thank me.
I play solo, since I am powerful enough to face every oponent and crush them with my fists! The first levels (up to level 4) I basically just used a sling and Agernon's Cloak to charm opponents, but that's okay. Everyone starts small.
How am I chaotic evil you ask?
Well first of all, if there's an evil way to do a quest, I'll do that. Okay, okay, I cleared the Mines of Nashkell and cleansed the Bandit's Camp, but that wasn't for the well-being of the swordcoast, it was to get closer to my target number one: Sarevok.
You need your boots and your whine from another town? Well, walk yourself, I don't give a damn for your lousy 50 Gold, I found a ring in the bushed that sold for 9000! Seriously, who loses stuff like that? Most of my Gold I spend on potions.
Whenever I get the chance to be chaotic evil, I'll take it.
For example, I hired Khaleid and Jaheira, those pesky elves, just to strip them off their belongings. Then I realized, I had a cursed girdle of masculinity with me. So I made Jaheira a guy and kicked both of them out. Let's see how friendly the people in the Friendly Arm Inn are to a homosexual couple in the medieval times.
Minsk wants to save Dynaheir? How about I save her, bring her to Minsk, charm him and let him kill her?
This dude in South Nashkell annoys me? How about I charm him and let him get killed by that bounty hunter after clearing the mines?
The real clou to this character came with a little cursed ring, I found in the bandit's camp though:

Boom! I can do all this AND look like a zombie while doing it? Awesome! I lose 4 charisma and a ring slot, but who cares? I'm a kung fu zombie now. To make things even better, I got me a cloak that helps against missiles and makes me look kinda transcendental:

That's how I roll!
Now that I'm level 7, I don't have many problematic fights anymore. Daeveron was really easy, I used a potion of resistance against fire and electricity and suddenly his indoor fireballs and lightnings weren't as scary anymore.
Shandalaar's prison quest would've been hard, but I used a scroll of protection from magic there. So it was really easy. I don't care if it takes the challenge out of things, I'm not here to mess around, but to wreak havoc and claim my Throne!
Mullahey was a joke by the way. Kobold goddess? Really? How about I charm you and let your kobolds eat you alive?
Best swordsfighter on the swordcoast? How about I charm you and you fight this annoying bard on the bridge first?
I've not really decided whether I'll take on Durlag's Tower or not, since I need neither the exp nor the items. But maybe just for the kicks. (Pun intended)
Once I'm done with the swordcoast, I'll take Merdarus to Amn to continue his legacy. Unfortunately, Irenicus will take my zombie ring away and there's no such item I know of in SoA... He'll pay for that (screw Imoen)!

This is the tale of Merdarus so far. How do you play your chaotic evil characters and do you also have so much mor fun on the dark side of rpg life? What's the most vile thing you have done on the Swordcoast?
Also if you need any help or advice on how to play solo monks ( I play on hard difficulty level, just switching to easy before leveling up, yea, chaotic evil, isn't it?), feel free to ask them, I got the feeling it's going pretty well so far and I didn't have any trouble yet. Buy a sling+1 in Beregost as soon as possible.

(My first idea was to play 'The Fat Guy Strangler', a mass murderer who killes all the bald fat guys in the game, but that didn't seem too wise...)

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Playing CE is difficult for me. I think it's the only alignment I've never tried. The Chaotic part of CE can be roleplayed by having your character act very whimsical. The Evil part can be fleshed out by making your character cruel for the sake of it, or maybe delusional (he thinks what he's doing is fine/good, whereas in fact it's quite the opposite.

The cruelest thing I've done in BG1? Hard to say, possibly

lying to the miner who would flood the Cloakwood Mines that I had freed the slaves when I brought him the key to the river plug. He the flooded mine and killed his friends in the process.

Anyway, have fun with Merdarus!