Skip to content

Familiar spell error - critical problem (SOLVED)

AeonQuasarAeonQuasar Member Posts: 16
edited November 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
1.2 version.

Some strange problem have accured. Trivia: Playes as Female LG Fighter/Mage elf, have reached chapter 6. Entering Baldurs gate.

EDIT:
Current behavior: Game belives the Familiar dies everytime I load, even if it not summoned or spell is erased, Character dies if the HP is too low before loading.

Expected behavior: Game should just load normally, no HP or Constitution should be lost when loading.

The problems started once i "learned" the Find Familiar spell. Every time I load the game, i lose 10 hp, even if the Familiar is not summoned that day.
The worst part is if I save when on low health, and suddenly dies or quit the game, then the save game slot is useless, since I always die when I load the save.

Is it a known solution to this? Have really tried searching around for the problem to known errors, but no luck so far. Refuse to belive im the only one who have seen this error. Will try to delete the spell, but it's sad i cant use my familiar, since my party is now builded on a familiar to scout.

Hope someone can help.

Post edited by AeonQuasar on

Comments

• AeonQuasarAeonQuasar Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2013
    Erasing the spell did not work, also im not even sure its the familiar spell that causes it. I think it does, the time matches when the error accured and when i learned the spell. Also the rule are when your familiar dies you will lose some HP. So I think the game only think my familiar dies when i reload, but he is not even summoned.

It's really hard playing the game now. special since im a Fighter/Mage with "relative" low constitution (14). So Level 5 means 41 HP, meaning I can be much more than half infjured if i save.

EDIT: The loss of HP is not always 10, sometimes 12 and even 13. It varies.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    Try this:
    - open your saved game with latest version of EEKeeper (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-2)
    - Check if there's anything suspicious on the "Affects" tab of your affected character
    - Failing that, switch to "Global Variables" tab and look for SPRITE_IS_DEADFAM**** variable (where **** may vary depending on your familiar type); if it's there, try deleting it or setting it to 0
    Hey mate.

First, thanks for reply. I appreciate it.

Having some problem with the EEKeeper. So untill i get that one up and running as it should i think i will try the seccond solution. There opens up for my other question, and sorry for being such a dumbass, but "global variables" means what exactly?

Is it in game or is it a DLL file or something on notepad?

My familier type is pseudo dragon btw since im LG.

Having some problem with the EEKeeper. So untill i get that one up and running as it should i think i will try the seccond solution. There opens up for my other question, and sorry for being such a dumbass, but "global variables" means what exactly?

Both solutions were for EEKeeper ("Global Variables" and "Affects" are just different editing tabs in that editor). What problems are you having with it, maybe I can help?

In the meantime, I suppose you can also try resetting the variable via the console:
    C:GetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADFAMPSD","GLOBAL")
    --> this should tell you the variable's current value; if it's not 0 then use the next command to set it to 0:

C:SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADFAMPSD","GLOBAL",0)

If you don't know how to enable the debug console, check out this thread (it's for BG1EE, but only difference for BG2EE is folder name): http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/general-bgee-customization/p1
    The problem of EEkeeper is in the FAQ, but i still cant get it to work. Cant find the game folder. Have tried 3 differnt folders with Baldurs Gate Enchanted Edition name.

But I will get it to work eventually. On the other side, i see other players having the same problem, so it might be a bug that have accured after the installation of 1.2.
    edited November 2013
    The game folder path needs to be the one with BALDUR.EXE and CHITIN.KEY files.

On my pc, it's (BG1EE installation folder)\Data\00766\
    Yes i know. Have tried it before, and it did work this time dough, but it says it have to "reload the game resources for the new settings to take effect". But when i restart it, it just says again it cant find it, even if it is in the same folder as before and the route to the correct folder is confirmed.

Well I might as well just take a break from this game for a while and let other handle it. Seems there are alot of people who complain about this bug, so I guess a 1.2.1 patch is right around the corner. :)

Thanks anyway. Was going to buy BG 2 right after i finish this game, so i could transfer my character.
    edited November 2013
    You could still try setting the variable through the console (see above), it's the same result as editing it with EEKeeper.

And they still need to know for certain what causes the bug first before they can fix it in next patch. If the console command I posted solves your problem, then at least we'll know for certain that the problem begins with familiar death, and the devs can start working on it from there.

I was not able to replicate this scenario in my tests - simply killing off a familiar (-> character takes damage, although too much of it, which is another bug: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23161/bug-1-2-v-when-a-familiar-dies-a-charname-dies-as-well), saving, and then loading that save does not do anything to character's health.

It might also help if you upload your save (zip the whole save folder and attach here).
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I see your point. Strange you could not recreate the scenario. But I see someone on this forum complain about it, dough that could be something else, but everything points to the familiar in my point of view.

If you would like to test the save, im not stopping you. :) It's a QuickSave. You can of course virus test it first, but I assure you, there is non.

It's the main character that is affected, but that is only because I do not have another main caster yet. Will get it in BG2.

Will try the other option you mention. Thanks again for all help. You have been very helpful.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @AeonQuasar
    I did some tests with your save and indeed it looks like this bug is caused by the death of the familiar. The first effect (constitution penalty) is applied only once as intended, but the second one (HP loss) is applied every time you load a savegame.

Until this is properly patched, as a workaround, I've removed the HP penalties, but not the constitution ones, from your save. Try replacing your quicksave with the one I'm attaching.

Also to prevent that from happening again don't let your familiar die :)

@Wisp
    I've used NI (v1.33 w1.3.0) to edit a savegame for BGEE v1.2.0, is it safe? Or should I wait for an updated version first and use EEKepeer for the time being?

It looks like it worked fine, but I didn't properly test it.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Erg
    I'd guess it's safe. The relevant formats are unchanged and I think that version of NI should still be able to edit them without mucking anything up.
    edited November 2013
    @Erg @AeonQuasar @Dee

After taking a look at the save it seems familiar death in BG1EE applies an extraneous HP modifier effect compared to familiar death in BG2EE. I'm attaching 2 screenshots from EEKeerer to this post, one is from BG1EE saved game after 2 familiar deaths; the second one is a similar situation in BG2EE (I started ToB game, in case it matters somehow).

This is why I couldn't replicate the problem earlier - I was trying to do it in ToB game, and the bug only exists in BG1EE. And there it's 100% reproducible:

1. Start a new game with Adelia.
    2. C:CreateItem("SCRL6D"), C:CreateItem("POTN08",2)
    3. Use the scroll to summon the familiar.
    4. Ctrl-Y the summoned familiar.
    5. Use the potions to heal Adelia to full health.
    6. Save the game.
    7. Load that last save.
    --> Observe that Adelia is not at full health as she should be, but has 6 hp of wounds.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    prophet1 said:

an extraneous HP modifier effect

Yep, that's the one I've removed from @AeonQuasar savegame.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We'll have this fixed in the next patch, incidentally. It was pretty easy to spot where the problem was.
    Hey! Thanks guys. This is just perfect.

Im just happy the bug get noticed and prob fixed in the next patch, and im happy i can continue to play at current save.

Great job all of you. You have my blessings ;)
  • ElfieElfie Member Posts: 61
    Hello, I have the Steam download and the same problem that is listed in the thread. I reinstalled the program and still have this serious problem. What exactly should I do? Also, I don't believe the familiar ever died it was there when I ended the game. I have not brought it back again because when I did I lost another point in constitution meaning I have lost 2 points. Can this be fixed? Thanks
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited June 2014
    @Elfie‌ you should get EEKeeper, point EEKeeper where you have the game installed, open the saved game, go to the Effects tab, see if there is a hitpoints effect, select it, and then click on remove, save the edited game, open BG:EE, load the edited saved game and done!
  • ElfieElfie Member Posts: 61
    Will do!! Thanks for the super fast response.
  • JulleJulle Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to the EEKeeper guys you saved my goddamn ass. This cancerous bug destroyed ALL my save games at the same time.