Skip to content

Romances

KhalKhal Member Posts: 53
So there are a lot of threads here about romances that happen in the game and I was just wondering what it was all about, because frankly I have no clue and feel left out.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't think I understand.... Romances are just part of the game. The characters talk to you and each other(banter) and some characters(arie, jahiera, viconia, neera, Hexxat, anomen, dorn) will get interested in certain charnames if they meet gender and race requirements. Then certain dialogs ensue and if you say the right stuff you become a couple.
  • ThrairThrair Member Posts: 10
    Are there still race restrictions on romances? I'd heard they were removed. Because of that, my main playthough is a Dwarvern Fighter/Cleric. Been trying to advance a romance with Jaheira, but was starting to wonder if it was stalled/never began.

When I made a backup save and enabled console, and GetGlobal came back with "does not exist", rather than a value of 1, 2, or 3.

I knew there was strict race limitations on romances in vanilla, but I'm starting to wonder if I just screwed myself over and will need to create another alternate playthrough character now. If so, bummer. Always annoyed me that dwarves got no options, even though Mazzy was willing to hit on KORGAN of all people, but not a Dwarf Charname.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    We did not remove any race restrictions from the existing romances; the new romances do not have them.
  • ThrairThrair Member Posts: 10
    Bugger. Well... thanks for the quick reply. Aw cripes. Ah well. Might check out Neera's arc, then. Though I largely passed her over in the first game in favour of the canonical party. I've heard she's actually pretty fun to have in the party.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited July 2014
    Thrair said:

Bugger. Well... thanks for the quick reply. Aw cripes. Ah well. Might check out Neera's arc, then. Though I largely passed her over in the first game in favour of the canonical party. I've heard she's actually pretty fun to have in the party.

To be honest, even though there is a canon party, Viconia, Rasaad and Neera canonically recognize Charname or at least find him/her familiar by default (meaning they recognize Charname without him/her asking if they remember them) hinting that they traveled with Charname for a while, but not as long as Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir.

Thrair said:

To be honest, even though there is a canon party, Viconia, Rasaad and Neera canonically recognize Charname or at least find him/her familiar by default (meaning they recognize Charname without him/her asking if they remember them) hinting that they traveled with Charname for a while, but not as long as Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir.
    Yup. When I saw neera she was all like "wait, do I know you?" And I was like "WE DATED FOR 6 MONTHS, B-!"
  • KhalKhal Member Posts: 53
    meagloth said:

I don't think I understand.... Romances are just part of the game. The characters talk to you and each other(banter) and some characters(arie, jahiera, viconia, neera, Hexxat, anomen, dorn) will get interested in certain charnames if they meet gender and race requirements. Then certain dialogs ensue and if you say the right stuff you become a couple.

Interesting.
    That is actually exactly what I was asking about, because I never knew that was even an option.
    Any way to facilitate these conversations? Because they don't seem to talk to each other much to be honest. (Only on very sporadic and scripted like occasions)
  • ChapelChapel Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2014
    If you mean romance dialogues, no, they just happen when they happen. I think there is an in-game clock that counts the time from one dialogue to another. The clock goes on all the time, but certain dialogues are put "on hold" in certain areas, like Underdark or sewers beneath Athkatla's Temple District. It seems to depend on characters - e.g. , Neera waited to talk with me about stuff until I've completed Sewers quest, but Aerie dumped me after a certain event between her and my PC while we were in the Underdark*.

Characters sometimes talk between themselves about you, although mostly when you pursue two love interests at once. I remember Jaheira and Aerie having serious scuffle over my PC.

In case you have doubts - try to pursue romances. Most of them are well-written and interesting (particulary Jaheira's and, from what I heard, Viconia's and Anomen's; I've just tried romancing Neera, and it started well but then she turned into your average 19-year old girl).

* which was an awesomely huge "D'uh" moment for me, too. Fun times!
  • KhalKhal Member Posts: 53
    So no way to facilitate it... Just have to wait around. I see :(
  • jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    If you want to max out your romance potential, play as a male human or half-elf character, add Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia, Neera, and whoever else is in this game these days, and wait for the dialogues to begin. Shouldn't take long. Some people don't really recognize the first dialogues as "romantic" but there will be a special musical theme that plays, hopefully you won't miss it.
    jcompton said:

If you want to max out your romance potential, play as a male human or half-elf character, add Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia, Neera, and whoever else is in this game these days, and wait for the dialogues to begin. Shouldn't take long. Some people don't really recognize the first dialogues as "romantic" but there will be a special musical theme that plays, hopefully you won't miss it.

Yea... You *could* do that, if you want to be pimpin'
    That's a whole other playthrough though. You gotta get the
    At one mod that let's you do all of them:P(they fight over you and make you pick, otherwise)