Skip to content

Sam Hulick scores music for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™

Comments

• MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @ Brimstone

its good isnt it haha im glad you liked it!
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Very nice samples, Sam! It must be hard to match someone else's tone, but these are right in line.

I hope they'll be eventually available in all their full-length glory -- translating ACM files to WAV and piecing them together in their best order (i.e., with the best "outros") to recreate the track is so time consuming... ;-)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Anduine said:

I am normally very skeptical of new additions to masterpieces, as I am of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset. However, seeing as Overhaul mentioned that the Enhanced Edition series will include all of the original scores, and Sam Hulick views those scores as an inspiration to his career, that skepticism is all but abolished.

Thank you for joining the team, Sam Hulick. I look forward to hearing what you compose, and I have little doubt that it very well may touch the soul.

I cannot agree more.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    @MDesigner Oh Sam you glorious bastard! XD These samples of yours are beautiful! They fit perfectly with the Baldur's Gate music, as though they belonged with them all along, and were simply missing these pieces of the original work. It just about brings a tear of joy to my eye. Keep up the good work Sam Hulick, the fans of BG support you!
  • TinnedKoboldTinnedKobold Member Posts: 2
    Liking the unsettling penderecki style strings in the black pit sample, sounding suitably ominous!
  • SemajSemaj Member Posts: 1
    Sounds very good! Judging by those snippets you hit the nail on the head in terms of keeping with the feel of the original music.

Regarding that remix up above: No ;)
  • TxerokiTxeroki Member Posts: 13
  • CulfinCulfin Member Posts: 2
    Will the soundtrack be available in sheet music?
  • MDesignerMDesigner Member Posts: 15
    Nope, that's pretty rare with game soundtracks. Not sure if anyone even does that?
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    MDesigner said:

Nope, that's pretty rare with game soundtracks. Not sure if anyone even does that?

Why not change that? Seems like the perfect game to change that custom! ;-)
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    I am another that wants to compliment Sam, it sounds like he did very well on matching the original music style.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm worried about the newness of the music, but shouldn't be. The devs are people that love Baldur's Gate, so I think they're being more than adequately careful with it. This isn't an EA-driven attempt to rake in $$$ with the Baldur's Gate name (or re-starting the Black Isle Studios website with a facebook page full of the successes of that studio), so... Is it 18SEP already?

Is it now?

How about now?

I feel like Noober.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    MDesigner said:

Actually, Bastion has the sheet music to its songs available for free on the Supergiant website. I was shocked to see it, personally, although admittedly the songs included are intended to be played on guitar, not with a full orchestra. ;)

I'm liking the music, by the way. Very nicely done.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    edited September 2012
    @Sebastian

Haha I love that song, you got more likes than I did when I posted it ages ago on this thread, its on page 3 :P
    Aosaw said:

MDesigner said:

Actually, Bastion has the sheet music to its songs available for free on the Supergiant website. I was shocked to see it, personally, although admittedly the songs included are intended to be played on guitar, not with a full orchestra. ;)

I'm liking the music, by the way. Very nicely done.
    @MDesigner :
    http://store.supergiantgames.com/collections/frontpage/products/bastion-original-sheet-music See :-)

edited September 2012
    Bastion is an indie title and probably has more relaxed restrictions on music ownership. The reason a lot of games owned by bigger studios don't release sheet music is because the composer has absolutely no rights to do so. And in most cases, the rights holder doesn't care (there's little to no benefit for them to do so, so they won't).

Another aspect that people don't realize is that in a lot of cases where all the music is recorded digitally, there simply is no sheet music. Someone has to spend many hours (or days/weeks, depending on the size of the score) taking the MIDI music and transcribing to a legible format. This can cost potentially tens of thousands of dollars, and again: there's simply no payoff for this unless it's going to be played and recorded by a professional live orchestra for the purpose of being used in the game.

So there's the long answer. ;)
    edited September 2012
    @MDesigner : Aha, i see. Well, I found lots of your music in sheets on internett ;-) Is it other www users who has written it down and put out then? Is it legal to download your sheets of your music? Sorry about awfull english

I wish you would make something larger and grander classical music, but you are only writing gamemusic? Do you have an site where i can download all your music and pay whit my paypal? Im not using itunes etc..

Edit: I found it whit google :-)
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    OMFG! that pool of radiance theme brought back memories lol. I'd love to hear a modern re-orchestration of that theme song.
  • MattysekMattysek Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2012
    MDesigner said:
    Awesome. Please can i has moar? ^_^ (its really a long time till end of November T_T )
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2012
    Cool Sam I want to hear some music on BGEE pretty please :)
  • FrancisMortonFrancisMorton Member Posts: 1
    @MDesigner , @FillaFillason As a composer/arranger myself, if the midi files were made available, I would quite happily transcribe them/ arrange them gratis, (it's a useful way of keeping the skills going). Naturally I wouldn't want to tread on any IP toes though.
  • KrOKrO Member Posts: 21
    Additional music sounds great.
  • FilipseFilipse Member Posts: 36
    Personaly, i think the mass-effect soundtracks for major parts just sounded like generic techno-stuff, dont get me wrong i love the game series and all but the music in the game as an entirety in my mind feels abit generic, and they dont realy stick out too much from one another, the original BG soundtracks are still my favorite soundtracks about, but i do mostly agree that in many parts the IWD music was averagely better.
    @FrancisMorton Well, besides cost, there is also the copyright factor. :)
    Animeware said:

Cool Sam I want to hear some music on BGEE pretty please :)

New music teaser from BGEE (not Black Pits) coming soon!
  • KulmKulm Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2012
    Cant wait to hear the new soundtrack. Cant help but be good right? :P
    The original main theme used to, and still does, rouse a deep primal emotion to adventure and slay!! Its going to be hard to touch the standard of the original and fit along side it, but if anyone can i guess i could be him.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Sam Hulick?!!! I think I just cried tears of gold <3
This discussion has been closed.