Skip to content

Pickpocketing Woes

I'm trying out pickpocketing for the first time. I am fully aware that failing a pickpocketing attempt will make the target go hostile. The issue I'm having is that when I -succeed- in a pickpocketing attempt...the target -still- goes hostile.

I've done some searching and I can't find any mention of this. I highly doubt this is normal, as I don't understand how pickpocketing could be remotely useful if this was the norm. What is the deal?

Relevant info (maybe):
Pick Pockets skill: 60
Target: Halbazzer Drin (Baldur's Gate - Sorcerous Sundries)
Item: Nymph's Cloak

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Does it happen every time you pickpocket? I know that there's a chance they don't go hostile if you fail, so maybe there's a chance they go hostile even if you succeed. I don't think I've ever had that happen to me, though.
    Lateralus
  • TheErinTheErin Member Posts: 4
    I've only ever succeeded the one time, unfortunately. I tried to do some testing by reloading and trying again, but I kept failing.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Algerzs cloak in berogast is a easer target and has the same effect. NPC can do hostile on success if they detect you steeling
    I see. I guess that makes sense. Does a higher pickpocketing skill make it more difficult to detect on a success? Or is that 'move silently'?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Did you pickpocket him several times in a row (without reloading) before you succeeded? It might be that a previous fail caused him to turn hostile, but that the reaction was so delayed you managed to get another pickpocket attempt in before he actually turned. But I'm merely hypothesising now.

Going by my own experience, I don't think it's supposed to happen, though, and it's definitely not the norm (I've used pickpocketing Bards to much success during my games). I'd advise you to try again though, if only to see if it's a constant happening or if it was a one time thing.
    TJ_Hookermeagloth
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    Targets should not go hostile after a successful pickpocket because they don't know you've done anything.
    @Frosty Unless the mechanics changed in BG:EE, the two are mutually exclusive. You either succeed and the target doesn't notice, or you fail and the target becomes hostile.
    Post edited by Xanar on
    I did use the talking glitch to sidestep a previous pickpocketing failure beforehand, actually. That may have been the cause.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    TheErin said:

I did use the talking glitch to sidestep a previous pickpocketing failure beforehand, actually. That may have been the cause.

Most likely.
    TJ_Hooker
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Frosty said:

Algerzs cloak in berogast is a easer target and has the same effect. NPC can do hostile on success if they detect you steeling

It gives a bonus to CHA, but it only has one charm person charge. Nymph cloaks have 50 and are rechargeable.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    Lateralus said:

Frosty said:

It gives a bonus to CHA, but it only has one charm person charge. Nymph cloaks have 50 and are rechargeable.
    IIRC, it's a once use per day item rather than one charge total.
    TJ_Hooker
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Almost any charged item can be re-charged, as long as you are willing to pay the price, by selling to an appropriate magic vendor (Thalantyr is a fine choice), then coming back and repurchasing.

But I think the previous post is correct that Algernon's Cloak is once per day.