Skip to content

Host online games without being the Main Character

FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
edited July 2014 in Feature Requests
http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/43099722025033758/

As you can see by this persons conundrum, he can't operate a stable online experience with his friends without himself being forcefully made the main character in the process. It would be nice to see an option to make it possible to allow "Player 1" to not be the main character.

It's a similar issue that plagues the New Super Mario Bros. games: No one can be Mario except Player 1 in the first game of this series and in the sequel Player 1 is (I believe) forced to be Luigi, you also can't be Mario in the sequel so someone is forced to be the shitty Nabbit character.
Post edited by Franpa on

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    This is an excellent idea, if it is engine feasible.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    This would be a nice option to have. In fact it would be great to be able to designate a dedicated host without a player at all: in vanilla games me and my LAN buddies used to constantly have that unpleasant situation, where gameplay was smooth for everyone else, while the host/Player 1 had to endure a constant stutterfest, especially in the latter stages of the games. It would have been cool to be able to let a dedicated server to take the performance hit... however I haven't tried EE multiplayer yet, maybe the host stuttering has been ironed out. I hope.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I love this idea. Though I'm terrified it's hard coded and would be insanely difficult to change.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    CaloNord said:

Though I'm terrified it's hard coded and would be insanely difficult to change.

Yeah. That's what happens. So it's unlikely for this to happen. Plus, why not let someone else be the host? Sounds kinda easier to me.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited July 2014
    As pointed out in that thread that I linked to, the other players had technical issues preventing them from providing a stable experience when any of them was designated as the host. Hopefully Beamdog can resolve the technical issues preventing them from being a reliable host, but that sounds harder to do than the idea I've proposed here.

This idea would also help in situations where one player wants to be Player 1 but is located far away from everyone else so if he was made the host, the game would lag a ton for everyone instead of just him (This last sentence makes a couple assumptions in how the online is handled).